Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBig Bad Dreadnought

2»

• calamity_sicalamity_si361 Posts: 369Member
    Cheers mate I appreciate you saying that
  • Judge Death.Judge Death.1 Posts: 0Member
    Again, if asked about the design, emphasize that the main gun causes so much interference, generates such a powerful field when used that the saucer had to be designed to counter it and protect the ship's systems from the side effects of this weapon if someone asks you to justify the unusual, non canon design.

BTW,feel free to comment on my non canon design here:

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?79699-Completely-new-rear-hull
    BTW what's this done in?
    That's an awesome idea dude! Btw, this was done in sketchup.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    Sometimes less is more, so I've decided to release two versions of the ship. This one does not have the phaser lance or third nacelle. I have also replaced the central bridge core with something a little more robust looking. All in all, I think the ship looks a bit more simple and graceful.

Attachment not found.
    Attachment not found.
    Attachment not found.
    very nice!
    this is much better with that type of bridge shown in these renders but it is a shame to lose the 3rd nacelle. also well done on making the texture slightly higher res.
    very nice!
    this is much better with that type of bridge shown in these renders but it is a shame to lose the 3rd nacelle. also well done on making the texture slightly higher res.

Ah well, interesting you mention that because I thought the same. I've done quite a few variations of this design and overall, I prefer this one - with no supergun but with that third nacelle.

USS INVICTUS Vs2 PLANS.jpg
    101953.jpg
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    I wasn't a big fan of the spinal cannon--its too Star Wars rather than Trek. So, I'm glad you ditched it. And the saucer, while still reminiscent of a Trade Federation ship, is an interesting choice and definitely eye catching.

However, there's a big disconnect between the curves of the saucer section and the highly angular engineering hull. The nacelles work (even the raised third-one), though maybe flattening them a bit would help. But the faceted nature of the engineering hull doesn't seem to mate with the curved pierced-chakram "saucer."

That said, the hull textures look interesting and I like the lighting on the nacelles.

Keep up the good work!
    Ah well, interesting you mention that because I thought the same. I've done quite a few variations of this design and overall, I prefer this one - with no supergun but with that third nacelle.

USS INVICTUS Vs2 PLANS.jpg

that's certainly the best configuration. will it be on the 3d warehouse soon? in some ways i can see the attraction of having a supergun but that version you showed some posts back was not very well fitting with the design, if you want such a weapon the best place would be in the lower hull near the deflector dish. you should post some more renders of this version, those plan view ones do not seem to show the details very well.
    Sure thing, here's some more views rendered last night!

USS INVICTUS multi 1.jpg
    101965.jpg
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    The nacelles look like Tron-inspired, the lower saucer area looks Borgified.....

The spinal cannon was not an overkill but rather a bad placement, I'd say.
    Sure thing, here's some more views rendered last night!

USS INVICTUS multi 1.jpg

very cool, certainly one of your best models. is this
    http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=fffad4ef4247f3f127416c474a90c78f
    it on the 3d warehouse?
    have 5 star rated it.
    Ah Cheers man you're an officer and a gentleman.
    after havinmg downloaded i would say one thing. now the model is on my computer i find that when looking at the upper nacelle i think it's pylon should stem from between the pylons o the other nacelles rather than out of the bridge. having it come from that location at the back of the saucer makes it look like a particularly structurally weak point( i know i cannot really talk about structural weaknesses considering some of my designs) and fragile. i would prefer to see that pylon go from the hull between the other pylons, but the current position of the nacelle is perfect(just not the pylon).
    Well, feel free to have a play around with some options if you like and post some images here! :D

Here's something I've been working on for the last day or two. My Federation Dreadnought giving the poor old USS Enterprise a bit of a hammering in a nebula. Star Trek Into Darkness production designer Scott Chambliss did a piece of concept art for the USS Vengeance that directly inspired this piece. Many thanks go to Xhable for the use of his very fine USS Enterprise.

USS INVICTUS NEBULA.jpg
    101990.jpg
    nice image, good nebula background and awesome dreadnought model but it would be vastly improved by adding some glow effects t the parts that should be really bright. the deflector dish, the blue glowy bits on the dreadnought, the explosions and the shots would look much better if they glowed. that might not be available in sketchup but you can export the models to a better rendering program or add some brighter bits post render. if i do to some alterations to your dreadnought i will post some pictures here, you will of course have credit for the parts on which i base the modified ship.
    Yeah that's not my forte really. I'm working on it though... made some minor adjustments to this one...

USS INVICTUS NEBULAglow.jpg
    101991.jpg
    OK, looking better. I say keep the third engine and mount it to the saucer. Since the kelvin established single nacelle designs in abrams 'die hard in space' bastardzation of trek, the third engine on this should go on the saucer to give it war capacity too.

If you are going to add a honking huge cannon to it, I might recommend putting it in the engineering hull since that's where most of the power systems are.

If you do make the saucer independently warp capable, remember it and the engineering hull will need impulse engines too.
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    At the arrival of the Vengeance I couldn't shake the feeling that some kind of hatch was closing over the deflector, most likely to make it a harder target to hit. Can anybody verify that? Would be an interesting addition here as well, IMHO...
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann631 Posts: 1,287Member
    I just assumed that's what was happening, it needed physical protection because it was so darn big. My robot version of the Vengy had that going on, too.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    So that wasnit just an illusion of the ship turning...
    BorgMan wrote: »
    At the arrival of the Vengeance I couldn't shake the feeling that some kind of hatch was closing over the deflector, most likely to make it a harder target to hit. Can anybody verify that? Would be an interesting addition here as well, IMHO...

Yeah its true. They were shield panels for the nav deflectors. That could be applied here...or perhaps an iris thingy b like they had in Stargate?