Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Wars X-Wing: Rescue Sullustan Tech Staff

DarkSapiensDarkSapiens174 Posts: 0Member
edited June 2013 in Finished Work #1
Hi there.

The other day I was playing the classic game X-Wing (yes… I had never played it before this year, in fact I haven't owned a joystick until last Christmas, so imagine…), and I got stuck in the 8th mission of the first Tour of Duty. After I stopped playing I thought that I had the 3D models for all the ships that appeared in there, so I decided to make a quick image inspired by it. Hope you like it.

In the mission, you pilot a lone Y-Wing (Red One), and there's a group of transports flying towards a couple of Nebulon B frigates starting some 12 km away. All transports but two carry troopers and have to be destroyed, but the other two have Sullustan prisoners inside, so you have to disable them with ion cannons so they can be captured and boarded by other transports from the Alliance that will arrive later. Of course you don't know in advance which transports carry what, so you have to scan all of them by targeting them and flying closer than 20 meters of each.
101279.jpg
Post edited by DarkSapiens on
Tagged:

• Knight26Knight26192 Posts: 838Member
    Very cool, I really need to load those old games back up and play again
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's a great picture. I really like the setup. :)

Wow, X-Wing. I used to have that back in the '90s. (along with Tie Fighter) Yeah, fun game, but it definitely sucks without a joystick.
  • DarkSapiensDarkSapiens174 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for the comments! :)
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    Oh man, I remember X-Wing back in the day, so awesome. Nice ode to the game! I remember the lineups of container vehicles and cargo vessels that you had to destroy.
    Thanks! : D
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Nice work there, DarkSapiens. The image definiatly fires the nostalgia for me - instantly recognisable as an X-Wing inspired image - at least to me. :)

BTW - It's a real blast to see models that I played with back in the days of the Star Wars Modelling Alliance back in the late 90s early 2000s still being used today. Which would account for virtually every model in that image. I wonder if James Bassett, Skawinski, Al Meero ever imagined their models would live on as long as they have. :cool:

One comment - the Neb Bs are pretty hard to make out at the moment. I wouldn't have known what they are if you hadn't mentioned them. Their side-profile is so iconic - I'd recommend rotating them to show a little more of the ships.
    Thanks a lot for the comment! :)

And yes… despite the models being so old you can still do great things with them! It's a shame some companies kind of ended that model-sharing era by using the models for commercial purposes and not even giving credit… :(

(And I think the SWMA died soon after I started downloading models from Scifi3D, actually! I got most of the SWMA models I have from someone who had a mirror file in his computer, and I've had fun over the years converting them. I actually had to search for back up versions of SWMA in Archive.org to get a name to credit for the Nebulon-B frigates in this picture!)