Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Wars - Old Republic Trooper: Havoc

Toragh1Toragh1331 Posts: 0Member
edited April 2013 in Work in Progress #1
A 501st buddy of mine asked me to make a high poly armor model of the The Old Republic Trooper's armor from the "Hope of Alderaan" trailer (also seen in the Intro Cutscene). Object is to get it done in two months, if not less, so he can cnc some molds to vaccuform some armor kits for the 501st.

Here's the trailer: Star Wars: The Old Republic: Hope of Alderaan
What they look like
havoctrooperfronts.png

I started out with an old body from back in college (forgot to mention, the head isn't mine. teacher had given us tons of stuff when we finished for our own research afterwards. I'd do it myself, but I don't have time with so many other client based projects and job hunting). Revamped it, and here it is. It's supposed to be 6 feet high (hence the brown blocks to the side). If I remember correctly, and I've redone my research (haven't done character modeling in a long, long time) real world head height is 7-1/2 x 2 heads wide, with the groin being just above the fifth head, right? If so, then I'm good. (don't mind the thick feet, the extra length are boot soles)
headshigh.png

Need to smooth some of the ridges out, but this is a start. Think it needs to be a tad larger over all as well.
havoc-pic-001.png
92461.png
Post edited by Toragh1 on
Tagged:

• MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Looks cool so far :)
  • Kalic-VadekKalic-Vadek0 Posts: 0Member
    Republic Troopers, are so many shades of Awesome.

Can't wait to see this finished.
  • jedi44jedi440 Posts: 0Member
    Looks good,cannot wait.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Nice work so far, looking forward.
  • Toragh1Toragh1331 Posts: 0Member
    Oky doky, I know it's been a bit since I stated this, but I've been agonizing over the helmet shape. My buddy wanted me to get onto the helmet since that will take the longest to model and to cut when it goes under the drill bit.

As awesome as the "Hope" trailer and the "Return" intro are, it's a friggin pain in the butt to model from reference where you can't find any shots that are straight on, and most single frames are blurred, so I have to reference playing it over and over. I now have even more mucho respect for the likes of 3D modeler Tobias Richter and others who started modeling JJ Abram's Enterprise with little public reference when it first came out.

havoc-pic-004.png
    havoc-pic-003.png
    havoc-pic-002.png
    Oky doky, back into this again. Got new resource images so I decided to go to the feet and work up from there.

Those thighs are v2.5 as it's been giving me a pain. The cuts in the design of this armor are insane, but it's a really fun challenge. And yes, I do know there's a couple places that the smoothing groups are pinching, but it doesn't show up in the CNC machine when it's cut, so I'm not too worried about it right now.
    havoc-pic-010.png
    havoc-pic-009.png
    havoc-pic-008.png

A couple B-rated test pulls from the vacuform. I think the plastic used is HIPS (high impact polystyrene).
    027.jpg
    026.jpg
    025.jpg
    Belt buckle, shoulder armor, thigh pauldron thingy.

havoc-pic-011.png
  • EgeriaEgeria61 Posts: 0Member
    Nice progress.
    Its a good set of armor to model...
  • stefanbeekhuijzstefanbeekhuijz0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks awsome! Did you finish it?