Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Star Trek Enterprise Season 5 Netflix Campaign

VK08VK083 Posts: 0Member
edited April 2013 in General Discussion #1
Doug Drexler has started a campaign to bring an all new season of ST: Enterprise back to Television, in this case through Netflix as a distributor.

Here's Doug's Blurb on it from the Facebook Support Page located at:

https://www.facebook.com/StarTrekEnterpriseSeason5NetflixCampaign
When Star Trek: Enterprise was cancelled, it's ratings were still good enough to keep it on the air. Studio and network politics were instrumental in it's demise. So the voyages of the NX-01, with Captain Archer, Trip, T'Pol, and the rest of the crew ended just as the show was finally beginning to get it's legs. Nearly all of us agree that the fourth and prematurely final season of Enterprise demonstrated that this show was a late bloomer.

A new day has dawned for the way television is produced. No longer do three networks decide what you get to watch. It started with cable. A place where the audience pays for the shows they love by subscribing. Now the next huge step has taken place. The ability to stream the shows you want, when you want them, from the Internet. Today, Netflix, Hulu, Kickstarter, and Amazon are challenging the way television is funded, and the way it is decided what gets made.

Interesting things have happened in the last year. Netflix began producing original programming, bringing back popular shows that the stodgy old programming model had done away with. "Arrested Development" is back in production. "House of Cards" with Kevin Spacey is doing well. The producer of "Veronica Mars" raised 3 million dollars on Kickstarter to make a movie from a show that the network thought no one watched.

Can we get that fifth season of Enterprise which chronicles the Romulan War? See our crew back with a dazzling refit NX-01? Folk's, It ain't impossible. Throughout Star Trek's history, it's fans have moved mountains. We can do this, it's it not that difficult. Watch Enterprise on Netflix. Even if you just run an episode while working around the house, that will build numbers, and attract attention. One thing we know for certain, the apparatus that brings us the shows we love will follow the money.

JJ Abrahm's is making Trek movies. If we're lucky (and you enjoy his take on Gene Roddenberry's masterpiece) we get one every 2-3 years. We've learned something from this Star Trek drought... we miss that golden age of Star Trek, with it's intimate storylines. So gang, spread the word, share the FB page, and most of all, run Enterprise on Netflix. It ain't over til it's over, and we're owed three more season of Enterprise. We can't be afraid of the wind.

Share this link, and let's light this candle!
Post edited by VK08 on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    My only question is: Why? I mean, I really enjoyed the series, I have all 4 seasons on DVD. However, that show was cancelled 9 years ago. Do we really want it brought back all these years later? After getting a green light, going into production, etc, it will probably be an even decade, at least. Personally, I think it should just be left alone, but that's just my two cents on it.
  • VK08VK083 Posts: 0Member
    My only question is: Why? I mean, I really enjoyed the series, I have all 4 seasons on DVD. However, that show was cancelled 9 years ago. Do we really want it brought back all these years later? After getting a green light, going into production, etc, it will probably be an even decade, at least. Personally, I think it should just be left alone, but that's just my two cents on it.

Apparently everyone involved with Enterprise were very excited at this prospect, and the cast would jump at the chance to end out the series correctly, plus it would get Trek back to the small screen where as you have pointed out, it's been missing for the past 9 years.
    I guess that answers the "why" question. ;) Well, for their sake, I hope they get to do it. If they do, I may watch it, I may not.
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    Not sure how one could pick up the season, I mean the finale really felt like a finale, unless Season 5 starts during the signing of the Charter of the United Federation of Planets?
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    Not sure how one could pick up the season, I mean the finale really felt like a finale, unless Season 5 starts during the signing of the Charter of the United Federation of Planets?

Will the original cast be cast for Season 5?

They are going to pick up if it happens from the end of Terra Prime, not These are the Voyages, and yes Original Cast. (again this is all contingent on getting enough interest, hence the FB Page)

Just an aside, any of the banners on the FB page can be shared as long as they link back to the page..
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    Well, bummer, I would love to see how it goes after the charter is signed... :(
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Chris: they're talking doing the Romulan War... so that should be interesting..
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,281Member
    With the show's assets either destroyed or scattered around the globe and factoring in the limited budget you probably wouldn't get much more than Blood&Chrome on a serialized basis.
    lennier1 wrote: »
    With the show's assets either destroyed of scattered around the globe and factoring in the limited budget you probably wouldn't get much more than Blood&Chrome on a serialized basis.

Pretty much. I'm sure Doug is thinking of doing what he did there, green screen with CGI backgrounds. Still, they proved that was possible with B&C, so it could work.
  • BCBC0 Posts: 0Member
    Pretty much. I'm sure Doug is thinking of doing what he did there, green screen with CGI backgrounds. Still, they proved that was possible with B&C, so it could work.

"Sactuary" did rather well with the greenscreen rooms too though it seems to work best for large spaces like the Sanctuary interior instead of small areas like the ship interiors (the shuttle bay might be one place to take advantage of it, as well as possibly only making one end of the engine room and using greenscreen to lengthen it out though) and it causes problems with sound ambiance.

Cow Creek proved that decent sets for ship interior scenes can be done on a shoestring as long as care is taken with sound damping to keep the echos down (which they had considerable problems with in their first try at it), or they could possibly even integrate the echos somehow. That along with careful choices in outdoor filming locations can go a long way to keeping costs down for the parts that would not work well with just a green room as well. Hand held cameras might be a good touch too, they can cover for a lot of "staged" feel if it can be done in a subtle Firefly-like style and not look like Blair Witch Project or the other "reality shows".

The critical part is really the scripting; it has to be cleverly done with the resources in mind and it has to be even better written and consistent than higher budget shows can get away with in order to compensate for the lower level of control over the filming conditions so it does not look cheesy.
  • HeliusHelius0 Posts: 0Member
    Now that's something I would LOVE to see! The marauder arc pretty much foreshadowed this. So if a 5th season does happen the Romulan War ought to be one of the, if not the, main story arcs.
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    Didn't Manny Coto already have some nifty ideas for the 5th season? It would have continue to tie with events from TOS as season 4 did.
    TrekMD wrote: »
    Didn't Manny Coto already have some nifty ideas for the 5th season? It would have continue to tie with events from TOS as season 4 did.

There's a lot of ideas floating around for the Season, right now it's the task of convincing Netflix and the like that this is profitable.. And that's what we're doing. We have several meetings set up with people to try and get this past the "we want" stage and into the "how many episodes" stage..
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    This explains the resurgence of NX-01 topics on his blog :)
    Not that i have a whole lot of interest in Ent, but I would like to see star trek brought back to television. I think that its more likely the studios would either rebuild the sets (or some of the sets) if they bring it back at all - i can't imagine an official CBS sanctioned production (even on a shoestring budget) going completely greenscreen/digital sets. I can easily see CG enhanced sets to gauge interest before committing hundreds of thousands of dollars to full set construction, but if its too cg it wont sell. Theres an inherent difference between a studio production and a fan production; if cbs thinks the money is there, they"ll go whole hog.