Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DS max Limits to cutting windows?

stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member
Ok I learned how to cut windows while using the window cutting tutorial that is on this site. I was cutting out thousands of windows on my Excalibur project and all of the sudden nothing is happening. It just started doing this and I don't know what is going on. Is there a limited number to how many things you can cut in 2010? If I can't figure this out this project will have to be scraped. Here are some pictures to show you what is happening. What am I doing wrong?
100686.png
100687.png
Post edited by stfanboy on
Tagged:

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9802 Posts: 5,325Member
    You need to subdivide that face. Also I dunno what the actual mesh is like on that but you need at least one connected edge to any hole or shape cut into in a single poly.
    You also want to cut all the windows for a particular polygon at one time, group the cutters as a single object then do your boolean operand then collapse the mesh and clean things up. This is where detaching the faces to be cut makes thing easier as you can set things up in multiple passes vs singular cuts and dealing with the clean up every time you collapse to a editable mesh/poly.

If you HAVE to cut a lot of objects into a single face use this as an example:
    windowssinglepoly.jpg
    You will still have to manually turn the hidden edges to avoid pinching and other weirdness that happens with auto re triangulate. (you can see this in the samples images you posted)

With the amount of windows in a regular fashion they are placed I would consider a high rez low bit texture map like a 2colour png and just texture them across the hull. Below is a example of a textured window with a room box behind. Pretty much uses a mix material to mix two separate materials with a mask to create the holes.
    windows01.png

windowwires.png
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Forgot to add this file it shows the hidden edges.
    hiddenedges.jpg
  • stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member
    Thank you MadKoi. I see why I can't cut them. I will try cleaning it up a bit.
  • alonzo11208alonzo11208331 Posts: 0Member
    Madkoi your suggestion of using a high res texture map for the windows is a rather brilliant and efficient time idea. However, theres one thing I'd like you to elaborate on if you dont mind...
    "...a textured window with a room box behind. Pretty much uses a mix material to mix two separate materials with a mask to create the holes."

How did you go about getting that picture for the windows? What was the process? Did you simply make a mock up room, then did a quick render, etc?
    The final image on that post shows the material set up and the wireframes. If you mean the walls of the room inside that was a modeled wall rendered out in ortho then applied as a texture, a pretty simple cheat. They have bumps and lighting done to them but wouldn't really be a requirement at distance.
  • alonzo11208alonzo11208331 Posts: 0Member
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    The final image on that post shows the material set up and the wireframes. If you mean the walls of the room inside that was a modeled wall rendered out in ortho then applied as a texture, a pretty simple cheat. They have bumps and lighting done to them but wouldn't really be a requirement at distance.

Damn brilliant. Your "cheat" then saved me time and hardache of cutting all the windows.