Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DImperial Shuttle

greeblegreeble174 Posts: 0Member
edited September 2012 in Work in Progress #1
Hi All,

Just throwing up some images of one of my first reasonable attempts at modelling. It's the Star Wars Imperial Shuttle (in case you haven't guessed by now ;-) )

Still a few hours left on it before I try and add some textures. Landing gear needs some detailing.
96716.jpg
96717.jpg
96718.jpg
96719.jpg
96720.jpg
Post edited by greeble on
1.jpg 206.3K
3.jpg 202.8K
4.jpg 166.6K
5.jpg 205.8K
6.jpg 176.7K
Tagged:

• JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice, clean modeling. Good work so far.

You might want to double-check the proportions, though. I'm not certain, but I think the cockpit is a little off, size-wise.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice model. Something looks a little off about the cockpit to me too, but can't quite put my finger on it. Perhaps the nose is too narrow or something? The blasters on either side of the cockpit also look a little stubby, and need further detailing of that area beneath them. The landing gear also look a little chunky with too fat a foot pad, but you've already mentioned you've got work to do in that area. All in all it looks like a really good start. Looking forward to seeing how this develops with textures.
  • greeblegreeble174 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for the comments guys. I had to rework the cockpit at one stage so maybe i messed up the dimensions then, I'll check it against the schematic i have. Right, time to add some more details and attempt some texturing
    It is hard to say to be honest, with so many discrepancies between the on set version and ILM model it can be quite tricky to develop a definitive version of this vehicle. Looking good so far though.
    Agreed, I have a mixture of references from set and models but I like some of the details on the set version especially the front canon designs.
    Consistency between the ILM stuff and the stuff they built at Ellstree Studios was always a problem, whether we're talking the Falcon, the X-Wings, or the Lambda Class Shuttle. So getting to the "right" measurements may not even be possible. Let's not even talk about the added complication of the various matte paintings of the Lambda Class.

The main thing is to not get discouraged when it turns out you need to make some tweaks. That's all part of the process. I will say this, though: better to do all of the tweaking of the main shape before you get deep into the fine detailing. It will save you lots of pain and aggravation later.
    Cannons re-done, they're more like the "set" version now and I also added some detail to the landing pads. I currently have a single opening for the landing pads where they retract into the body but I'm going to re-do that and have 2 flaps I think with a proper detailed hinge.
    96730.jpg96731.jpg96732.jpg
    7.jpg 411.6K
    8.jpg 401.4K
    9.jpg 92.6K
    Looking much better with those improved details. The landing gear in particular. I seem to remember there being some sort of extension to the pad on the inside part of the foot, two protrusions, one to the rear and one in the front. The gap between them was flush with the upper part of the gear foot. I'm possibly remembering this detail from the old model kit I had as a kid. also the bay doors for the gear need to be split in two with half folding to the front and half folding backwards with a staggered step in the seam between the two. Coming on very nicely this model.
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    One thing you will (or have already) learned about the Star Wars universe, there is no definitive, I went crazy when working on R2. redo after redo, till I decided on which six Artoo's I was basing mine on ;)

But looking good mate, keep going, looking forward to more updates :)
  • ttandcttandc0 Posts: 0Member
    This looks like a good model, congrats. I'm making one of these shuttles myself but it can be hard to find some good clear pictures of the original models used in the movies.
  • SeverusSeverus401 Posts: 254Member
    Very cool model, Star Wars Chronicles and Sculpting a Galaxy both have some decent views of the shuttle, if you're still looking for references...
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    it looks great, but i have a little nit-pick for you.

you've made a common mistake, all the schematics you will find for this (that we both probably used when modeling this one) have a flaw in them, it has to do with the wing roots. on all the plans the 4th connection is usually omitted, or incorrectly placed or sized.

the front support has none of the blocking around it like the ones in the back, but the front 2 supports are identical in size and shape to the ones in the back. here's a crop of an excellent side shot of the model to show it:

KG_STUDIO_TYDIRIUM-006_crop.jpg
    Jedilaw wrote: »
    I will say this, though: better to do all of the tweaking of the main shape before you get deep into the fine detailing. It will save you lots of pain and aggravation later.

heh, i run into that pitfall SO often.
    96763.jpg
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    The nose of the cockpit with the grille inset is too narrow. I think that's what's causing the proportion flags to be raised :). The cockpit is easily the most annoying part of this model to get right. I know it took me several attempts before I was happy with mine, and I'm sure there are still issues with it.
    Jedilaw wrote: »
    better to do all of the tweaking of the main shape before you get deep into the fine detailing. It will save you lots of pain and aggravation later.

Truth, this man speaks.
    Good spot Anystar, didn't even notice that detail was missing.

Oh, and forget my comments regarding the landing gear, brought the old model out of mothballs today and it doesn't have the details I mentioned, so I don't know where I got that from. Maybe I dreamed it?

:p

On Fractal's comments regarding his own work on a Lambda I had to go and remind myself by checking out his site again, and you just forget how damned sexy that model is, the amount of detail in there would put the original ILM model to shame. Well worth a look for anyone modelling this beast.

:thumb:
    The nose of the cockpit with the grille inset is too narrow. I think that's what's causing the proportion flags to be raised :). The cockpit is easily the most annoying part of this model to get right. I know it took me several attempts before I was happy with mine, and I'm sure there are still issues with it.

Truth, this man speaks.

Dude, you're Lambda class is simply stunning!!! Amazing detail!! If mine turns out half as good as yours I would be very happy. That level of craftsmanship is beyond my abilities at this stage but certainly gives me huge inspiration.
    greeble wrote: »
    Dude, you're Lambda class is simply stunning!!! Amazing detail!! If mine turns out half as good as yours I would be very happy. That level of craftsmanship is beyond my abilities at this stage but certainly gives me huge inspiration.

If you're inspired by Fractalsponge, you are in very good company around here. Just downloading the Star Destroyer he released years back and looking at how he organized the model and the various details taught me a huge amount about CG. Same goes for his Executor mesh.

As for his work being beyond your skills today, that may be true, but it's true for basically 99.9% of us at SFM. :)
    Sorry, make that 99.9999999999% of us.
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    If you need some good reference material of the miniature model you should take a look here:

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=14238 (hires photos)

Chris
    Wow, they're pretty amazing pics, thanks dude!
    well just a quick update. I've finished the modeling and moved onto some texturing, I've spent some time tweaking stuff based on the refs I got from the set model. If I had these refs at the beginning I probably would have made this a lot easier on myself but right now it's a mongrel of sorts but I'm happy with it.

I've been reading some tutorials on UVW unwrap and I couldn't get my head around it and I totally hated it!! Now, after some trial and error, I actually think it's pretty cool but I've only got enough knowledge of the basic tools to get me by.
    I wanted the texturing on this to have a worn and used look (similar to the set model) so I played around with Photoshop and the attached images are my first attempt. I've got a technique down so I'm going ahead with doing the rest of the model texturing this week.
    96888.jpg96889.jpg96890.jpg
    10.jpg 45.4K
    11.jpg 176.4K
    12.jpg 36.3K
  • SeverusSeverus401 Posts: 254Member
    I think you're doing an excellent job with this. There's a special place in hell for whoever developed UVW unwrapping and an even more special place for the people that find texturing easy. Be careful...
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work
  • darknikosdarknikos0 Posts: 0Member
    hello:)

good job indeed!

i did my own version on tydirium shuttle and i m happy to see this another good job for this so esthetic sw model:)
    thanks! i have to finish this off. not too much left.
  • SchmidtFGSchmidtFG210 Posts: 203Member
    Another great piece of work greeble. Keep this up!