Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek ENT - Half Saucer / Intrepid Type WIP - 3ds Max

utrautra0 Posts: 0Member
edited April 2012 in Work in Progress #1
Hi all, Im not exacly new to the forum but ive bairly ever posted lol.

Below you can see the WIP renders of my "Half Saucer" ship, This has been a project ive been working on and off for over a year, that said the total work involved was probably only about 3-4 days, most of the components have been re-modeled to fix smoothing / geometry mistakes i made in previous files.

Despite the seemingly simple shape this ship has been one of the most challenging meshes i have ever worked on and im still having a few problems with it, Im using Paramount's original 3d Model as a reference grid (thanks to Four Mad Men / Drex Files) however the massive nacelles make it very tricky to see the back of the saucer section and the body section, i was hoping i could get a second pare of eyes, i know something about my mesh is off but i cant figure it out.

Some details have yet to be added, such as the deflectors struts, docking ports, windows thrusters, the saucers back section ect.

The Wire Renders are a little off, i had some issues setting up the render, mainly lack of patience lol with 32 separate objects in the mesh i wasn't willing to manually setup everyone for the wire render

Refrence Links

http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/06/02/intrepid-class-half-saucer/ - DrexFiles
http://www.fourmadmen.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10010 - FourMadMen

So... Thoughts anyone?
94798.jpg
94803.jpg
94799.jpg
94804.jpg
94802.jpg
94807.jpg
94801.jpg
94800.jpg
94806.jpg
94805.jpg
Post edited by utra on
Tagged:

• DoomspongeDoomsponge0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking really good so far.
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    YouA’re doing a great work!
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Yeah, great work so far. This is my favorite ship from that series. :)
  • RekkertRekkert4055 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,305Member
    Great start! Same as evil_genius, this is my favorite Earth ship from Enterprise.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • utrautra0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks people, ive also been working on a "delta/ winged type" model and the Vulcan cruiser, im hoping to create the ships of the major races, (Earth, Vulcan, Andorian, Teller, Romulan ect) then maybe create some stills of the Earth /Romulan war, since the war was according to TOS meant to start about 2 years after the series finished, i doubt much will have changed in two years.
  • DoomspongeDoomsponge0 Posts: 0Member
    Remember, don't be afraid to make stuff up. It's one thing that's always bugged me a little about some science fiction CG art- how all the [insert faction here] starships are exactly the same class of vessel. Whilst sharing a basic hull isn't rare (and it isn't necessarily just a lazy method to save effort, the Ticonderoga and Arleigh Burke class cruisers and destroyers the US navy use today use the same hull). Bending the believability of a conflict just to fit 'canon' (and there is next to none on the Romulan war anyway, so don't worry) can be just as bad, if not worse, than making up things to fit an empty space.
    I often add my own improvisions on something im working on, this model series was really for high-poly practice, though i dont expect the model to be more than 50k polys lol.

You are correct though, in reality no two ships of the same configuration are even close to identical, a good eye can spot and recognize a ship without seeing the name or registry on the hull, look at the early Aircraft Carriers for this one, while many were built from the same blueprints there hull supports were rarely the same ship to ship, while modular based design has increased the similarities there are still noticeable differences.

In trek the only time i ever noticed ship differences within the same class and type were the two NX class ships in Enterprise Columbia's hull was slightly different color than Enterprise, the Deflectors were difrent along with the bridge and corridors.
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    GREAT START HERE GOOD WORK
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    There are a few other cases, but they're mostly side effects of the models being heavily modified, and then being difficult to return to their original configuration. For instance, the Galaxy class Venture has phaser emitters on the tops of the nacelles because the model was previously used as the three-nacelled Enterprise, and those elements had been left on more through luck than by design.

The Ambassador class ships have a few differences, too, as do the NX and NCC versions of the Excelsior.
    Thanks to everyone for your comments and feedback it has greatly helped, i thaught id post a little spoiler from one of my other WIP ENT-ERA ships.

The Vulcan Cruiser.
    94845.jpg94846.jpg94847.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That looks fantastic so far. :D