Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

"Canned" motion and effect sequences in Lightwave?

SebastianPSebastianP171 Posts: 0Member
I'm about to try and rig a scene of some of my ships firing their guns into the distance, and I'd like to know before I start whether there is a way to make a script for an event that I can call on when I need it - in this case the animation for the recoil, muzzle blast and beam. Otherwise my options are to cut and paste the entire effect (which is spread over five channels, and I'm not even sure how to do *that*), or set the event to repeat indefinitely at the exact same rate.

I gather that the motion mixer might be the tool I need, but I can't make heads or tails of it, so a tutorial of some kind would be helpful.

The issue is somewhat pressing, since the full scene (planned for whenever I get a computer that won't melt from the effort) involves something like twenty battleships with up to 44 large-ish guns each (18 to 24 main guns, 16 to 20 secondary guns), and up to a hundred and fifty which are just particle emitters (AA batteries). It will look somewhat strange if the guns all fire like clockwork with no variation.
Post edited by SebastianP on

• L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    hey

well, i dont know lightwave, but it should have the option to stand a keyframe for all channels of the selected objects. so once you animate your cycle, you just copy all those keyframes and slide them where you want in your timeline. again and again.
    i'd shoot all my guns from frame0 to frame 35, then copy paste all the keys of all the guns to 80, 160, and so on. then vary the starting frame. mabe even one gun can have a faster sequence and shoot every 70 intead of 80.

your background ships can have a repeating cycle, no one will notice. the important part is your main ship and your main ennemy. they have to be animated by hand. (by copy pasting the keys)
    also, think to make various layers and compose it later. your computer will die rendering all the scene at once.
  • SebastianPSebastianP171 Posts: 0Member
    I'd figured on that. Distant scenes no matter how complex aren't all that much trouble to render, though - empty space is free, so a render of the entire fleet, even with three million polygons and two and half thousand objects takes less time to render than a closeup of empty deck in a quarter of the resolution. *Significantly* less.

It's still a while in the future, though, I still need to finish all the ships, build the enemy (have barely started on them...) and set the basics of the scene up....