Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Where can I get height maps?

Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
I'm working on the next aspect of the episode Timeless... I've got the snow look almost down... but I can't seem to find any adequate height maps, to use as a displacement map...

Snow.png

Snow2.png

Using a different map...

Snow3.png

They look good from a distance, but close up, they tend to go down...

They all use a plane with 1000x1000 segments...
Post edited by Chris2005 on
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
32 GB RAM
Windows 11 Pro

• japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    does it look any better if you use more segments? Also, what program are you using? Most programs do sub pixel displacement where they subdivide the mesh at render time to get more detail in the displacement so it's not just purely moving points up or down. If that doesn't work you can also search here http://www.usgs.gov/ for DEM mesh files to use.
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    japetus wrote: »
    does it look any better if you use more segments? Also, what program are you using? Most programs do sub pixel displacement where they subdivide the mesh at render time to get more detail in the displacement so it's not just purely moving points up or down. If that doesn't work you can also search here http://www.usgs.gov/ for DEM mesh files to use.

It's already up to 2,000,000 polys...

I'm using 3ds max...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    you should really augment a height map with some procedural displacement

as much as SFM is a place for learning, I think you've been relying on the Q&A forum too heavily recently, try and work a bit harder at finding a solution before asking here, this place shouldn't just be a replacement for your instruction manual
    IRML wrote: »
    you should really augment a height map with some procedural displacement

as much as SFM is a place for learning, I think you've been relying on the Q&A forum too heavily recently, try and work a bit harder at finding a solution before asking here, this place shouldn't just be a replacement for your instruction manual

I've been looking all afternoon for a good height map... without the slightest bit of progress... however, I'll keep looking.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • CoolhandCoolhand287 Mountain LairPosts: 1,296Member
    do what IRML suggests, you have a heightmap that gives you some shape, now you need to throw something else on there to bring the level of detail up, whether procedural or whatever... Not sure a heightmap alone, no matter how large or whatever, is going to give the results you expect.
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla795 HelsinkiPosts: 2,868Administrator
    If you can't find one that suits you, just make one yourself. Goes for all things 3d. Also, like people mentioned, you'll probably want separate map for big forms (or just model them by hand or throw some noise at it or something; it's probably faster than looking for a specific kind of height map) and one (or more) for finer detail. If you're using FinalRender, look up the bits about displacement in the documentation. You should get nice high res displacement at rendertime while keeping the viewport geometry manageable.
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    Chris, what renderer are you using? I'm assuming in max you are using a standard material or just the displacement modifier? Try rendering it in mental ray using an A&D shader and put your map in the displacement slot. That way it's not so tied down to the geometry of the plane itself and can subdivide where it needs to.
    japetus wrote: »
    Chris, what renderer are you using? I'm assuming in max you are using a standard material or just the displacement modifier? Try rendering it in mental ray using an A&D shader and put your map in the displacement slot. That way it's not so tied down to the geometry of the plane itself and can subdivide where it needs to.

I'm using finalRender, and a displacement modifier on the plane, using an image.

The snowy icy look is created using fR-Velvet, they have no official snow material.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    How is this looking?

Snow4.png

Snow5.png

I'd still need to work on the map, to get a more open area for the Voyager crash and slide...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • DeksDeks200 Posts: 259Member
    Much better, though perhaps the 'grain' should be a tad smaller.
    It looks good though.
    The ambient lighting on the last image needs to be stronger though.