Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D40k Space Marine

RegulusBlackRegulusBlack0 Posts: 0Member
edited September 2011 in Work in Progress #1
Hello Everyone, long hiatus, but wanted to post my near complete Space Marine, any crits would be welcome.

58.jpg
90640.jpg
Post edited by RegulusBlack on
58.jpg 86.9K

• liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    this kicks ass, love your take on the leg armour is that original on your part havent seen that design before, if so its much superior!!!
  • RegulusBlackRegulusBlack0 Posts: 0Member
    Jump Marine textured and posed....let me know what you guys think

62.jpg

@liam887 thx for the feedback, i was inspired by the Dominance War 4 winner as far as the knee pads but everything else is mine.
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    Nice. I like the little changes from the standard armour. It looks much more practical and movable.
  • sarabandosarabando0 Posts: 0Member
    Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg i have no words
    Terminator almost finished...

69.jpg

let me know what you think.
    I love them all, although something bugs me about the terminator. I dont know if its just the angle but the legs look small in comparison to the upper body. It gives an almost cartoony look and not the massive hulking terminators we are used to?
    the orthographic view skews the legs but i think the feet are too small, am working on them now to see if i can fix em up.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's a really sweet model. :D
    changed the proportions think it looks better now

70.jpg
  • WolfieDWolfieD0 Posts: 0Member
    DAM they are AWESOME, lovely work, really menacing Terminator! the re-proportioning definatly grants more realism to it.
  • lpariseklparisek171 Posts: 0Member
    Nice. As posted earlier, this seems much more functional than the canon Space Marine armor. The legs remind me of the Star Craft Marine model.
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Bow.gif

Stunning model, and yeah, the re-working of the leg armour is great. I still think the Terminator is a little top heavy, though that might just be the camera angle distorting it slightly.
    Thx for the feedback guys, I am not sure what to do with the terminator his legs are already 25% bigger than the tactical/assault, and if i make them much bigger, he will be permanantly set in a "legs apart position" as the human model under the armor could become quite dispraportionate. i dunno, some of the local guys i have shared the model with said similar things in regards to his lower half. The unfortunate thing about this is that Games Workshop models are not the best reference as far as anatomical correctness. so i will make some tweaks and see if i can come to a happy medium between animation functionality/perspective of armor scale.

made some tweaks to my Scout marine, let me know what you guys think.

SpaceMarine-04.jpg
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Very cool stuff mate, very flavoursome. My only crit would be perhaps to heighten the neck collar a bit on the regular marines, to protect the throat and neck a bit better. But that's a personal thought, the models look ace.
    funny you should mentionm that Meph, am working on the marine with the big metal grate in front of his helmet, having problems making it look "right". so many flaws with the marines as far as their armor though. we'll see what i can do.
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah, the small miniatures proportions are a bit donky, especially when scaled up just like that. But you're approaching it very well, your models look solid and functional.
  • alpha_omegaalpha_omega0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow... wonderful work Regulus! I agree with the others - I think the stylistic changes you added to the marine and terminator add something to the overall models... I always thought the GW Space Marines never looked "tech-y" enough I guess you'd say... for something 38000 years in the future, LoL... but don't repeat that - I'm sure it would be considered to be Heresy!! Anyway - looking forward to seeing more!
    Thks for the replies guys, i agree about the simplicity of the GW models, it just gives me more "interpretation" for the SM

alpha where do you live at in TN, im in Smyrna near Sam Ridley
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    I think the Terminator looks a bit odd with a mostly bare chest plate. It needs a bigger aquila. Other than that, the redesigns look pretty good. Well except for them being Blood Angels. They suck. :D
    Apparently the scale of the minis is "heroic", so isn't anywhere near realistic and is actually quite comical - hence why CG marines are difficult and sometimes don't look "right".

The scout is really cool, it's very rare to see something like that.
    The scale issue has had me pulling my hair out since i started this modeling process. most people slap a human head on their marine that is scaled to GW standards.

Then you realize that your shoulders are so broad that the character looks more like a gorilla than a human.

Hence that is why i started with a human body scaled to "bodybuilder" proportions, then built the armor up over the human, not 100% accurate to GW but much better as far as keeping the human scale similar.

just my 2 cents.
    That's how Binkerman did it and got really good results. When people have tried to sketch a human body onto the armour it shows how ridiculous the proportions actually are. And the terminator would obviously be a struggle to get right, too.

Like this, you can see it's a bit of a pain to use GW proportions, even if it looks good with the armour slapped on it leads to some odd result when you think about it, and probably could be difficult to animate too.
    marinesize750.jpg
    Yeah I watched that 40k cgi film a few months ago and thought the character movement was a bit out to say the least!

However your killing it right now, the leg redesign in particular is amazing I hope you do a nice big render of all your marines posed together at the end for my new desktop background!
    update to scout, still need some things to texture (hair, skin, etc.)

SpaceMarine-06.jpg

@Armond - Binkerman was a huge inspiration for me, i hope to get my skills up to his soon.

@liam - thx for the kind words i'll put something together with all of them in a scene.
    Update to scout, skinned , still need to texture skin, weapon.

SpaceMarine-14.jpg

changed up his holster belt due to skinning issues, instead just leg wrapped his holster.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    I seem to remember a science special a long time ago that claimed a 14 ft limit to the human frame.
    alpha where do you live at in TN, im in Smyrna near Sam Ridley

Hey Regulus... I live in Spring Hill - about 15 miles S / SW of Franklin, TN... Hi neighbor!! :D
    DCB wrote: »
    It needs a bigger aquila.

Now DCB, let's not get into that whole "my aquila is bigger than your's" argument! :devil:
    The scout is looking spectacular, Regulus! Very nice work! What are you using for texturing? Are you using photoshop / UV Maps or a 3D painting application?

Can't wait to see more!
  • WolfieDWolfieD0 Posts: 0Member
    awesome totally awesome lovin the texturing work