Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Sun in 3D Studio Max...

Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
I saw a tutorial a while back on how to make a really nice sun with particle effects, etc. but at the time, my computer would have died in the process... but I can't remember exactly... it was a 2 part tutorial I believe...

Does anyone know what tutorial I'm talking about?
Post edited by Chris2005 on
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
32 GB RAM
Windows 11 Pro

• L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    sounds to me like a peter draper tutorial from one of his "deconstructing the elements" book
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Yup. He had a short article and scene files on his site, but the links stopped working some time ago
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla797 HelsinkiPosts: 2,868Administrator
    Yeah, I think 3d-Palace shuffled their site around somewhat so none of the xenomorphic links point to the right places anymore. Would imagine they're going to fix them eventually.

As far as the book goes, I don't think the sun from a distance scene was in them. Pretty sure it was just available on the website and possibly some old issue of 3D World. Recommend you get book (3rd edition these days, I think) anyway. :)
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    yep it does. one of my old bosses had it. it's been like 4 or 5 years, i dont remember which one...
    that stupid boss had a lot of books, but never read them.

the books always came with new stuff, so you can buy them all and dont get the same stuff.
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    I have the third edition, which also includes PDFs of the 2nd Edition's articles and scene files, let me check.

Yep, the Sun tutorial is in the 2nd edition under "Solar Flare"

I tried looking around 3d palace manually, but I can't find Pete's pages anywhere, searching for Sun comes up empty, and the free tutorial index is rather short. :/
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla797 HelsinkiPosts: 2,868Administrator
    Yeah, I remember the solar flare tutorial as well, in fact, I seem to remember it was the cover of the second edition, but I think the free two-part one on the website was slightly different.

Anyway, encouraging news on the 3d-palace forums.
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    Yea, the one I was after was the 2 part-er on xenomorphic.co.uk
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro