Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

External TutorialFantails, starship shuttle butts. ETC

MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
edited September 2007 in Tutorials #1
Generic Star Trek Fantails and Other Aft Related Things.
LIEK OMG!
tail-tytle.jpg
clickable url
Sorry, reworking the file my http got wiped on a "matinence update" (yeah sure) looking at hosting a pdf or some other method to attach images without relying on a outside source or crap spam hosts. Hope to have these back up before 2007
Post edited by MadKoiFish on
Each day we draw closer to the end.
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Shuttle butts???? I don't want to smell the exhaust!! :shiner:

:runs:
  • RolibaRoliba331 Posts: 0Member
    Hey! You beat me to it. That's pretty much how I do them. Nice job.

One question, if you're using Max, what the hell is Turbosmooth?
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    Roliba wrote:

its a fast way to sub divide a mesh. It was added in MAX7 I use it more than meshsmooth since at one time max would crash when applying meshsmooth to certian symmetery objects. Its much afster too when your bouncing back and forth between stacks.

Oh and in no way was I attempting to beat anyone or take away from their tuts. Someone here and a few elsewhere have asked or in other ways hinted at this so instead of doing it individualy I decided to use this route. As well trying to communicate this via text is a bit hard without piccies. :p
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Great ! Simple and helpfull. THANKS Madkoi !
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    Great stuff so far. I have fewer and fewer excuses not to actually make one of these puppies...
    Really nice.

I guess now I'm going to have to crank one of these out and go a whole different way, except to already taken to really good ways of doing it.:D

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
    Well you dont have to change how you did your for your tut. This tut is just general ways to cap that tail end of a secondary hull.
    Other methods are to spline the shapes then attach it or boolean the shapes in by subtraction or via cut. (quite messy) Or model the individaula parts then boolean them together (messy again)
    Now we all have to wonder when scifieric will get to his bussards. . . . . :flippy:
    Ahhh... This is the question of the century, (okay, month) isn't it?
  • chronochrono0 Posts: 1Member
    Solid, fish. ;)

Now you can continue by making the interior too. :D
    chrono wrote:
    Solid, fish. ;)

Now you can continue by making the interior too. :D

Uh, . . . . WHAT?!?!?!
  • JustinDixonJustinDixon0 Posts: 0Member
    YES! finally someone has posted this tutorial :D I have been wanting to make it for a long time but never got around to it :) Good work!
  • SandmanNinjaSandmanNinja0 Posts: 0Member
    Roliba wrote:

In 3DS Max 8, there is TurboSmooth, MeshSmooth, and HSDS Modifiers.

My tutorial deals in 3DS version 6, and doesn't have TurboMesh.

-joel
  • SandmanNinjaSandmanNinja0 Posts: 0Member
    And THANK YOU for this tutorial!!

-joel
    HSDS I think is max8 only. There isnt much diffrence between meshsmooth and turbosmooth exp if the goal is to colappse the stack to add details (no reason to fight the sub-ds on details you dont need a mess of smoothing loops on etc) Thanks for the compliments guys I plan on adding to this tut in time. As other methods are learned or I run across other types of ST aft bits. But most will follow the first 2 tuts here in technique. Nova class ships would entail slight nodifications to the tuts.

As well I corrected all the images in here I accidently deleted the images for this tut. I plan later to create a http for these things so that if these tuts here dissapear there will bo some other source for them. I just need to set up code to keep those pesky for $$ sites that cross link tuts like mad, nothing like jackasses who make money off adds without carrying the BW. grrr lol Oh as well I plan to pdf these too. Which is a better solution to the crosslinking sites out there. :D
  • Corbin DallasCorbin Dallas0 Posts: 0Member
    Sheesh!I have no desire to even build a Trek ship, but this caomes in really handy. Oh Boy. You just made my lihgtbilb go supernova.

You area good teacher. An excellent one as a matter of fact.
  • EBOLIIEBOLII204 Posts: 360Member
    Boooooooooo I missed this post were be the URL

I really would like to see it
    There be no url since I only managed to restore ONE tut. I found my host reformatted my http and went about deleting the threads here with the intention of loading pdfs up and found what I though were backups of the tuts wernt. . . . so lost in the ether these are. I am rewritting these and looking at how to post or distro these.
  • dadeo911dadeo911171 Posts: 0Member
    Ummmm.... Not meaning to ask dumb questions... but how do I access the tutorial? :help:
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Generic Star Trek Fantails and Other Aft Related Things.

Sorry, reworking the file my http got wiped on a "matinence update" (yeah sure) looking at hosting a pdf or some other method to attach images without relying on a outside source or crap spam hosts. Hope to have these back up before 2007

A bit of acual reading would help answer things. . . . . . . . . :rolleyes:
    Its back as best can be for now. Need to review and clarify things but if you know your way around box modeling and sub d in max it should just be a pictoral follow along.
    Now ot find the bloody saucer tut pics.
  • seanrseanr1097 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 594Member
    So... Has anyone ever told you you've got a really nice ass?

drool.gif
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    Very, very useful, thanks!
    seanr wrote: »
    So... Has anyone ever told you you've got a really nice ass?

drool.gif
    um, yes acualy I have :p

Glad the tuts are of help to ppl, hopefulay I will have more up soon since I will have a regular isp soon.
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    BTW, looking at your other tutorials showed me how to weld the verts back after you detatch some polys then attatch them again, also very, very useful.
  • FireballFireball331 Posts: 0Member
    The link you recently put up doesnt work for me...is it a problem on my side or has it been a while? Regardless of that, thanks to you and members like you who continuosly put out tutorials and help guys like me :)
    ref:
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/member-tutorials/17459-mad-hull-plating-madfish-way.html#post247507
    site is down for matinence Ill stuff the old index back for now since I don't have the time to finish the update.
    07-31-10
    UPDATE
    HTTP tutorials are back online!
    http://madfishway.rr.nu
    blog will serve as back up. But I recommend the http since it is the original formatting.
    edited September 2020 #28
    Well... I know this is a really old thread, but maybe someone still have saved the old tut from Madkoi about fantails (even wayback machine don´t have the old content from http://madfishway.rr.nu). I´m interested in how to build the back end of Enterprise secondary hull in 3ds max.
    I´m out of 3d modelling in 3ds max since many years ago, but I´m slowlly trying to come back, revisiting old tuts, playing in 3ds max 2016. ;)
    In advance, thanks !
    Post edited by Starship on
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Dang it....now you have me aligning blueprints in Max!! I'd been mentally resisting remaking my Enterprise! Did you mean original Enterprise or Enterprise-A?
    japetus wrote: »
    Dang it....now you have me aligning blueprints in Max!! I'd been mentally resisting remaking my Enterprise! Did you mean original Enterprise or Enterprise-A?

TOS is my first interest, cause it looks more simple. But TMP would be cool too. Based upon any of them, I think I can apply the knowledge to the other. I was playing with a design from my own... It don´t looks that bad, neither that good for now. So, I need to learn more about modelling tricks. ;)
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    edited September 2020 #31
    Well at the risk of revealing how terribly I did, here's my take on the back of it. Probably lots of room for work. That shuttle bay area is indeed tricky, at least on the TMP version.

After numerous false starts, I started with a 32 sided cylinder, to give me edges along the horizontal and vertical axis, so i could cut it in half and mirror it later...
    I don't know your skill level in Max, but some of the controls that make my life a lot easier are the Constraints in the Edit Geometry tab in the Editable Poly, especially the Edge constraint. For the bottom curve I just used the Cut tool to cut it into the cylinder, deleted the lower faces, and then cleaned up the curve welding points and using the edge constraint to tweak the vertices along the edge normals.

For the shuttle bay I just chopped off the end of my cylinder and drag extruded out the bottom of the shuttle bay and used Flow Connect to round it out a bit, and some hand tweaking. I also used a number of FFD's in that whole area to get things formed correctly, still doesn't look quite right I think, Maybe the area between teh doors and edge of the fuselage is too wide...but anyway, seems pretty close.

klqaz7rvzbhi.png
    9vw50gaz61ec.png

Post edited by japetus on