Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DPhobos Emergency

ZanussiZanussi0 Posts: 0Member
edited June 2011 in Work in Progress #1
In my universe first contact was not with altuistic (but sulky) Vulcans, it was a bunch of Chavy Pikies who rolled up in their inter-stellar white vans and nicked a bunch of satellites. When they discovered Earth could not stop them they grew bolder and started raiding the planet. They would swoop down into population centres and smash and grab loot.

Gold, silver, jewels and just about anything shiny and not nailed down. Humanoid, but at the development stage of Vikings they are equipped with ships by a greedy company from a more advanced ET race. Nicknamed the Hun because of their violent raids Earth has to find ways to intercept the Hun Raiders.

First on the drawing board is a Raider itself, since it is alien I don't have to worry about practicality ;)

1.jpg
Post edited by Zanussi on
Tagged:

• AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    But about aesthetics, which is a very important part in Trek designs (safe the Borg, but they deem aesthetics to be defined by perfect geometry).

Nice work so far, though. I'm curious about the wings, however. Whatfor are they?
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Aresius, I'm not too sure this is suppose to be trek. I think he used first contact with the Vulcans as a frame of reference.
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    I'd use vessels that the "Hun" have grabbed, modified and generally re-painted to their satisfaction. They're mercenary-like and thus prefer Defiant-Class, Prevaricate-Class, or Oberth-type ships. Small, maneuverable, inexpensive to either repair/modify as mission specifics require, or inexpensive to replace once they've blown-up the last one to prevent interrogation/capture, and quick to pilot out of harm's reach. They're basically Pakleds with Klingon attitude, Romulan temerity, Ferengii drive to succeed, and over-all knowledge of scavenging and throw-away runabouts. They haunt everyone's surplus depots, despise the Yrridians as cowards and value their anonymity and freedom. They won't turn away the opportunity to realtime test their modifications even against Klingon battlecruisers.
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    I like the concept. I have a funny feeling that any real first contact we make would probably go the same way.
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    You know, I think you're all missing the point that this appears to NOT be in the Star Trek universe. In fact, reread the FIRST SENTENCE of his first post. "In my universe . . ."

Zanussi, you should paint that thing like an old beat-up Airstream trailer!:lol:
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    LockeFP wrote: »
    Zanussi, you should paint that thing like an old beat-up Airstream trailer!:lol:

That would be cool. :thumb:
  • ZanussiZanussi0 Posts: 0Member
    Oops! Sorry guys, I did not realise there were Huns in the Trekkie universe, sounds like a similar concept though, perpectually brawling clans given ships by an unscrupulous trading company and sent out to raid for goodies to trade.

The bat wings serve two purposes: Aesthetic to make the ships resemble bird's of prey to frighten their victems, and as primary weapon mounts, to come. The fins are stabelisers and coolant radiators. There is nothing in the least bit sophisticated about these ships, apart from their inertialess drive which is eventually captured and gives mankind the boost into space that the warp drive gives it in the Trekkie universe. Here I have started on the ferrous armour plating, using symmetry at the mo so it is clumsy at the join. They will get a paint job but I want underlying streaks of rust to show hence the texturing.

2.jpg

The whole concept started with a remark by my English teacher at College, he said "Of course any alien race with the technology to come visit us would be immensely superior in intelligence" I quiblled that intelligence and technology could not be linked like that and wrote a short story to illustrate my argument titled "The Phobos Emergency" I went from straight A's to being flunked on the spot. Perhaps it was the line in the story about "only a congenital idiot would assume a more technically advanced race would be also be more intelligent."
    Nice work.

True enough, that line about the 'congenial idiot' might have been a tad too much for him, but I like that teacher, talking about aliens in classes like they were the subject all the while.
    Time for a laugh, my very first draft at the Dodgey paint job, I had in mind sort of burning phoenix feathers on the stabilisers, needs a lot of work yet!

DodgeyTail.jpg
    Space Manta..... :D
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    Your prof sounds like he can't handle criticism in his own classroom, which is a dead giveaway for a shoddy teacher. If you can prove the teacher's theorem is incorrect, you should be given extra points and a post-term scholarship, IMHO.
    Long delayed update, combination of working weekends and accidentally losing my backup and corrupting the working file. Grr.

A rethink of the paint job and now I have a handy name for this ship, the Firebird, Huns decorate their ships with a variety of themes, particularly something that looks like an Earth Wolf which represents their God of War, premier warriors surgically alter themselves to look like great wolves.

3.jpg
    Dodgey paint shop complete I am ready to start arming the Firebird. Purpose designed hit and run ships the main purpose of the weapon system is to defend the ship while on the ground against aircraft, very rarely have the Earth defenders managed to mobilise ground forces against a raiding ship before it has gone again.

4.jpg

In space they rely on speed to escape primitive Earth spaceships with ferrous armour plates reinforced by a gravity focussing flux which is a by product of the inertialess field generator. A hun Raider can shrug off a tactical nuke and nothing really worries them until Firebird is captured almost intact and the secret of the Inertialess field generator falls into earth hands. Though sadly Earth nations and power factions wage open war to control the prize.