Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

"Set smooth"/"Set Flat" In Blender 2.57b

Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
I have been using Blender 2.49 for a couple of years now and have started to use 2.57b,

the problem I am having is when setting objects to " Set smooth" in the object properties I end up with this.
th_smooth257b.jpg

I use this because if I use the "Set flat" I end up with this.
th_flat257b-1.jpg
which as you can see show the medium level poly count that I use.
I don't want to use sub surf on my models as it uses to many polys for what I need so I have to find a work around for it, which is why I do it this way.

What am I doing wrong?

This is the same model with "set smooth" rendered in 2.49
th_Smooth249.jpg

so how can I get this but in blender 2.57b
Post edited by Ice-Dragon on

• IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    surely you have to be selective with the parts you choose to set smooth or flat
  • GrzesiekGrzesiek0 Posts: 0Member
    The problem relates to the Normals. Some are facing inwards some outwards. Fix that and all should be good
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Yeah it your normals faceing the wrong way.
    there are two ways you can check this.
    1. Under Meshes Display. tick the normals box under normals. this will create a line in the midel of each face. the line should be sticking out, if it sticking inwards it means it the wrong way round. just select the face and flip normals under mehses tools.
    2. The second way is a little dirty way to do it. Press Alt Z (do this with envrioment lighting turned on and no lamp on the layers sleceted.)
    This will show the mehses in white. if there is a section that you can see though. it mean the face is facing the wrong way. Just select the affected faces and flip direction.

This will resovle the issue.
  • citizencitizen171 Posts: 0Member
    Or select all faces and press Ctrl-N.
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for your Help guys, I think I have it sorted now, time to start moving all mw ships over to Blender 2.57 :)