Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DTales of folk

citizencitizen171 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2011 in Work in Progress #1
My drama group's next project is a selection of tales from Geoffrey Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales". Namely the "Nun Priest's Tale", "The Wife of Bath's Tale", "The Friar's Tale", "The Pardoner's Tale", "The Miller's Tale" and "The Reeve's Tale". Beyond the fact that I currently be the prime candidate for playing Nicholas in "The Miller's Tale", which requires me to bear my *ahem* bare arse to the whole audience, I've offered to create the promotional poster for the show.

I'm trying to produce something reminiscent of Medieval paintings and artworks, like the bayeux tapestry. So not particularly realistic, with the story flowing across the piece. It starts with the Pilgrims meeting in the Inn in the bottom left corner, with the Inn keeper proposing the "game" of telling stories on the trip to Canterbury. The pilgrims are then placed in order along the road to Canterbury (in the top right corner), with vignettes of each pilgrim's tale occurring around them.

I'm mostly shifting elements around to get the flow right at this stage. The Sketching is a combination of freehand drawing, drawing from reference and tracings of period carvings (especially the Pilgrim's, who are taken from period woodcuts). One I've got the composition right, I'll redraw many of the elements to reflect the features of the actors who'll be playing the parts, and paint over it.

All done with a Wacom Intuos3 in Gimp.
89680.jpg
89105.jpg
Post edited by citizen on
Tagged:

• somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    That looks really interesting ! The characters look like they were taken out of that time period so I guess you're on a good way :thumb:
  • citizencitizen171 Posts: 0Member
    Despite the lack of updates, I've still been working on this. Some major layout changes have been introduced, characters added and subtracted etc. I personally prefered the characters more on top of each other, but the powers that be thought it was too busy, so the "clutter" has been reduced. I've put in a base colour layer, and inking, along with scroll effects for the text. I'll probably also add some shading effects.
    89604.jpg
  • Startrek91481Startrek91481171 Posts: 0Member
    i agree the previous one is better as far as layout goes. I think it makes it more period anyway. That is why I could never do graphic design for a living. That being said i love the color and it really does fit the time period, and I like it.
    Yeah, there's something disheartening about being told "just like that, but not as good" :D.

Anyway, more or less the final version, made some minor layout changes, added some more scroll effects, shading and detailing. I need to make an A5 version for a local advertising booklet, and a back for the A4 flyer with some more text information.
    89669.jpg
    A5 Version
    89707.jpg
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    your characters are a bit too dynamic for that time period of arts.
    middleage likes ultra static and a bit streched characters.
    Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean by ultra static. Art that aimed to tell a story seemed to show a fair bit of dynamic, and many of the characters were largely taken from period pieces like the Ellesmere Manuscript.

What they tended to have was little or no real perspective. That started to come in in a rudimentary sense from around the 15th century, but really wasn't seen until the renascence. I've played with that, ignoring it and following it at a whim.

Really the main thing is that although the initial idea was to be much more true to the style of an illuminated manuscript, it has evolved to use that concept as a base, but with more concessions to a modern viewer. This isn't an artwork in a medieval style, it's a advertisement for a medieval play being performed now, so it's purpose is to bring modern audiences to watch. It's also meant to give a feel for the production, and the play itself is quite eclectic, dynamic and fast paced, so that feeling needs to be put into the poster. As such if there's a conflict between the purpose of the work and the style, the style has to give way somewhat.

Cheers