Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DPioneer Space Sim

gernot66gernot660 Posts: 0Member
edited April 2011 in Work in Progress #1
again it's me pestering you with my models ;)

all what you will see here is part of Pioneer Space Sim,
a open source space sim game, witch is a retro-engineered Frontier (true fe2/elite clone).
the game is still in alpha stage and "not playable", means a lot of stuff is missing.
but at least you can cruise through a fantastic, procedural generated galaxy.

i'm not responsible for the stunning design of the surrounding environment and created "only" most of the models that run in this game so far.

many models are extremely low poly, if you ever scripted a model you will understand why, it's a lot of typing.

others were made on blender, and embedded to pioneer with a additional script to make the model work in the game.

let's see if i find some nice pics...

why not start with some of the latest models,
2011-02-17_022323.jpg2011-02-17_022637.jpg2011-02-17_022719.jpg2011-02-17_022347.jpg
this model is a combination of a "stiff" cad created part and a "dynamic" bezier mesh, which generates the wings and the slow flapping of them.
a rather lo-res vid to show the movement of the ship.

to be continued...
89064.png
Post edited by gernot66 on
Tagged:

• gernot66gernot660 Posts: 0Member
    that ol' courier has a new coat
    2011-02-06_165245.jpg2011-02-06_200243.jpg2011-02-06_213851.jpg ...meanwhile this has become a oldtimer ;)

another one, which marks the thread by now.
    no question who was godfather to this...
    2011-02-06_114254.jpg2011-02-06_114024.jpg2011-02-06_114357.jpg2011-02-09_164452.jpg

both together
    2011-02-03_095937.jpg
    in fact this is a imperial trader instead of a courier, but the only difference is the third thruster and the size of the ship.

by using a little bug it was possible not only to switch the lights on when the undercarriage is lowered, the cockpit of the ADC-44 (alien defence craft 1944, got it?) will brighten up to (in fact the "glass" starts to glow, but you will reckon this as light inside the cockpit.

while the courier has a local lighting in the cockpit/bridge, possible since pioneer alpha6 i guess. actually it blinds the window when cruising, but cool would be to blind them only in fights.
    this didn't looks very spectacular, but good to show a pure scripted model.
    nothing of this model, not even the uv mapping has seen a cad software.
    the model is scripted from scratch and uv mapping has been drawn to a sheet of grided paper and scanned to a paint prog (usually i help myself out with uv mapping done based on a OGLE export for scripted models, but this was made to show how it can be done without).
    2011-01-26_111230.jpg2011-01-24_153843.jpg
    the difference is foremost, that parts of it (wings) are made by bezier flats and bezier quads which are LOD dynamic
    the pics below show the model in highest LOD and lowest LOD (collision mesh).
    2011-02-24_172847.jpg2011-02-24_172835.jpg

skinning is somewhat more difficult, because you can't unwrap or similar, you can only project the mesh from a chosen plane to the texture. that makes textures of objects like cylinders or spheres (primitives) a bit lausy.

therefore it offers you the freedom to dynamically change the texture whenever you like (not only for LOD).
    it's possible to slide or "rotate" textures, or simply to select randomly between different textures.

working with functions and expressions is different to modeling with a CAD program!
    and offers a lot more then just to load a model to a game.
    flashing light bulbs, scanner (radar), antennas, guns and missiles can be attached to it by purchase of the item.
    size of the laser gun can reflect the power of it.
    decals, flightgroups, can be set up by your choice (still random only).
  • fluxfirefluxfire181 Posts: 604Member
    Interesting.... would you be able to show all the ships in a comparison shot?
    i thought about something like that.
    would be interesting if i could get all models at once in the game, just for such a shot or to make a short clip, passing by all ships from smallest to biggest.
  • HaturodHaturod0 Posts: 0Member
    Completely CGI unrelated, but can Pioneers engine serve as a RTS as well? :)
    no one said only CGI related can be posted here, or am i wrong?

specify RTG please, abbreviations can be misleading...
    I meant to ask, can the engine be used for a Real Time Strategy game? :)

I've always had a dream to start a project for a game which I have the working name, Fleet Commander ;) I just haven't come across the right engine yet :)
    definately no.
    pioneer is ment as straight Frontier clone.
    i have a idea i could set up maybe a battle scene, i mean let all ships fight against each other and watch the scenery with outside cam.
    pioneer like Frontier is based on a newtonian physics model, so ships act almost like real.
    i never before was hurled throgh space in a Tie fighter before, i converted one (along many others) from XWA and this has happened now two times, got tuoched by the enemies ship and i got flipped away spinning along my z axis (must have been a very slight touch,else...).
    Ok thanks for the quick reply :) Guess I'll have to come up with something else :)
  • fluxfirefluxfire181 Posts: 604Member
    gernot66 wrote: »
    no one said only CGI related can be posted here, or am i wrong?

Technicallly your scripting is creating a 3d model... so my thought would be it has a place here.

Yeah it would be nice to see them in that fashion going from smallest to largest.
    here we go...
    if you ever wondered how commander jameson looks like :D
    2011-01-12_154835.jpg

for once a model of a old german TV series, The Orion 7 (or 8) but i'ts not my work, i "only"* ported it to the game, the original model is from Ralf
    http://www.orion.zeigermann.com/index.html

*some changes had to be made, closed some left open parts (mid section),
    reworked the model so it will fit to the game, ~55m diameter, rotating scanner.
    added the rotating light's, the're not original, but look quite good on that ship.

some different ship that is inspired by the fathers of "Raumpatrouille" (space-patrol).
    a good old classical sphere ship i guess you know from which novels it is.

i cut some of my clips to a sort of presentation for Pioneer.
    yet another clip
    this shows what i'm actually on, "heavy construction".
    a new spaceport has to be made.
  • Capt DaveCapt Dave0 Posts: 0Member
    So when is this going to be playable?
    that depends on what you understand as playable, to me it is, actually degrees of playability was better a few months ago, but new developers have moved to the team, that's ok and wanted, but also it brings some chaos to the project. until that knot is untied it will take a little time i guess.

it's far from being complete yes, actually you can fly around in a space ship and mostly only explore the galaxy, AI is a bit deranged now and attack's won't happen as they did before, but i hope next alpha this is solved.
    of course trading is allready possible, but needs fixes in details of prices and goods that be offered or requested.

believe me it's not easy to handle newtonian physics for the AI, it would be easier when we would just "hover" the ships over the screen like most of the rest.
    but similar to FE2, Pioneer has a real space and objects are real objects, all of them, ships, stars, planets, asteroids, goods, everything, no nifty pic of some object (except for the background, whished by many but they forgot what it would cost to update the whole galaxy frame by frame, impossible, maybe in the next 20 years, but not now) or a tricked physic to move them. they move as they will move under conditions of 0 gravity. that's anything else then easy to handle, even for a human.
    (i examined ST games models last night and found out there rotating axis is before the ship, so when you see the ship moving from behind you get something like a swing camera, stupid imho, you will point virtually allways to center.

further still some help can be useful, there is a lot of stuff that has to be written, some as LUA scripts, which are plain to understand.

but i guess if everything goes on and grows like it does now, maybe in one year we can say it's a "real game" (our goal is set very high for a real game). but maybe it will take a year before we see the release of the first beta version. we're doing this in our spare time and most of us have a job and perhaps a family.

if you ment the low framerate, first my average computer, second video capture is additionally processing time intensive, so framerate sucks sometimes completly, depends a bit on which size i capture it.
    additionally i captured it with a rather low framerate (15fps) to leave a little more for the game.
    further this spaceport is a framerate killer i know.
    that's mainly because of it's size and the many dynamical stuff it has allready (e.g. animations).
    since this is not the only one you see.
    optimizing my models is also something that will be at hand before we can say it's good.
    but i still have a lot to learn and believe me to make good models for a game is not easy.
    with good i didn't mean only good looking, they have to be fast to process.
    that means that maybe i will have to remove more dynamical stuff from my models.
    it's cool to have randomly selectable skins, but it needs a update of every frame for this part.
    many such together and the game gets week in the knees (any game would i guess).
    but i believe we have the best dev team you can imagine for a game like Pioneer, it's like the name said a Pioneer.