Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBlender 1st mesh, req texturing method advice

[Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
edited March 2011 in Work in Progress #1
After a few tutorials I was able to crank out this mesh, it's a craft from a comic strip/novel/graphic novel (in that order) a friend of mine and I have been working on for the past decade. I have several textures ready to go, but I don't quite grasp Blender's texturing tools yet so any tips on how to apply textures to this mesh would be greatly appreciated.
Post edited by Unknown User on
Tagged:

• citizencitizen171 Posts: 0Member
    Usually you'd UV map the object, then paint the texture to line up with those UVs. Personally I'd say you need to add a little more detail to that mesh before texturing it though.
  • Bigd524Bigd524406 ScotlandPosts: 178Member
    Looks nice... but some more detail would make it look even better...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    I agree, it needs more detail.

UV mapping is what I'm needing help with. Most of the tutorials I've seen deal with a simple cube, not much help in my case. :)
  • AlnairAlnair181 Posts: 255Member
    Unwrapping an airplane or another object with a similar complex curvature of the surface is a quite demanding task. You have to divide the object's mesh along cutting lines so you can unwrap single polygon islands without too much deformation and stretching. One approach could be: separate the wings from the fusselage and detach the engine pods. Choose one planar projection for the main part of each wing and another with a different projection angle for the winglet. The fusselage has a more cylindrical shape. Here a cylindrical projection would do the job, alternatively you could use the unwrap option (pelt mapping) after applying a cuttingline alongside the fusselage's longitudinal axis...
    The trick is to divide the mesh into pieces that can be dealt with in UV-space. I know, that sounds rather complicated for a beginner but that's the usual approach.
  • citizencitizen171 Posts: 0Member
    In blender it's actually relatively easy to uv map. It is, however, a process that requires some experience, which you'll only get by doing. So I can only suggest doing it, and getting a feel for it.

Anyway, Blender uses some advanced algorithms for UV mapping that do simplify the process, I find UV Mapping much easier in Blender than I ever did in 3Ds Max. If you've looked at the tutorials they give you the general tools, so I guess your problem is knowing where to carve up your mesh. Alnair's suggestions are pretty much on the money there, though the terminology is off for blender.

In blender you're looking to mark seems where they won't notice, but will allow the unwrap algorithm to produce a mesh with as little distortion as possible. I'd suggest marking a seam around the edges where the wings join the fuselage, you've already got a seam there and it can be masked out with texture details.

Apply that sort of logic to the rest of the model. Remember that you're looking to lay a 2d Image onto a 3D object, it's a bit like wrapping a present. You want to look for how that 2D surface needs to be cut in order to conform to the underlying shape, and where you can hide those seams and where you can't.