Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DIt's been years, but I've not been idle... :)

overState201XoverState201X171 Posts: 0Member
edited March 2011 in Finished Work #1
I haven't posted here in a long time. Not sure why, life stuff getting in the way most likely. But I haven't gotten too far away from the Lightwave.

Here's a few vids...

An Asteroid Chase - I worked on this over the summer of 2010. All the models are mine, the Star Destroyer being both the most labor intensive and one I'm most proud of.

Ensuance - Prelude to a Space Battle - This one is from WAAAAY back (spring '06), but I still get compliments on it, and some of you might remember me from back then. Hollah! :)

And now for some pics. The Star Wars ones are all my own work. The Star Trek ones were downloaded from the good old Star Trek Meshes Collection and worked on extensively.
88064.jpg
88065.jpg
88066.jpg
88067.jpg
88068.jpg
Post edited by overState201X on
watcher of the skies, watcher of all
my guardian angel fell asleep on the watch
the hardest thing about refrain
our reason to be here

• overState201XoverState201X171 Posts: 0Member
    Now for more...
    88069.jpg88070.jpg88071.jpg88072.jpg
    our reason to be here
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    what's with the new account? your old one is still here

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/member.php?142-overState2006
    IRML wrote: »
    what's with the new account? your old one is still here

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/member.php?142-overState2006

I lost the password. Any way to merge 'em?
    our reason to be here
  • EscelceEscelce0 Posts: 0Member
    Really enjoyed the videos and the stardestroyer is something to be proud of sir:-) Congrats

-Steve
    Woops... I thought I posted the Star Trek stuff, but here it is.
    88073.jpg88074.jpg88077.jpg88076.jpg
    our reason to be here
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    I lost the password. Any way to merge 'em?
    yeah it can be done, you'd need to ask an admin though

btw I remember the ensuance video, your lighting always interested me, especially on the star destroyers, it didn't really look like the models were in space but it did look very real in a different way, imagine if a child was playing with their toys in front of a space background, it looked like that to me - I was wondering if you did anything particular like radiosity to get it looking so real in that way or if it was just a good lighting setup
    IRML wrote: »
    yeah it can be done, you'd need to ask an admin though

btw I remember the ensuance video, your lighting always interested me, especially on the star destroyers, it didn't really look like the models were in space but it did look very real in a different way, imagine if a child was playing with their toys in front of a space background, it looked like that to me - I was wondering if you did anything particular like radiosity to get it looking so real in that way or if it was just a good lighting setup

I basically just used a lot of area lighting. It was important to get the slightly soft shadows so the details would get picked out. I guess you could call it "fantasy lighting". I specifically wanted a look that would make the models seem tangible. My philosophy was that if I could make it look like a toy and not a 3D model, then it was good enough. I'm flattered you like it, buddy!

@Escelse - You just got a message from me on Youtube. Just confirming it's me. :D Love your work!
    our reason to be here
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla799 HelsinkiPosts: 2,870Administrator
    Oh yeah, I remember that one from 2006. Still holds up very nicely. Nice job on the newer one as well. The dusty lens effect could've maybe been a bit subtler and an HD version would be nice, but no real crits from me. :)

I can merge your account, if you want. Never actually done that before, but it looks simple enough. Which username would you want to keep? 2006 or 201X?
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • EscelceEscelce0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks Clinton. Just replied to your message on Youtube. Any problems let me know.

-Steve
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    Very impressive for both vids. I, too, remember Ensuance from ye olde ages(e) ago. The models always had a bit of an over-exposed feeling to me, but not in a bad way. That analogy of a kid playing with toys in front of a star-background is a real good one.

If I have a complaint, it's the "dirty lens" effect you've got going on the Asteroid Chase vid. The way every single laser-blast catches the dust on the lens is rather distracting and doesn't fit the Star Wars visual style all that well. That said, it's a distracting but minor point considering the rest of the vid was quite impressive (though that has to be the luckiest, most skilled Y-wing pilot in history!!)

Keep up the fine work!
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    wow those vids were amazing, I loved the asteroid chase, it seems quite realistic, even looked like there was particles on the camera, I wish I could do some great work like that
  • madmattmadmatt0 Posts: 0Member
    Great models and i love the final comp, but the quality of the video is really LOW I can't see clearly the models and there's a little bit of flicker, but anyway great job, it would be fantastic if you could post an HD version, maybe one day :D

Bye
  • MauimanMauiman0 Posts: 4Member
    Now that was awesome.
  • YaricYaric0 Posts: 0Member
    I really like the ship movements in both videos, but especially the asteroid video. Very fluid and natural ship maneuvers. I think if you maybe turned that camera dust effect down to about 25% of what you have it'd look much better. Right now it looks like this camera man just cleaned his feather duster out on the camera lens.
  • japetusjapetus2984 SeattlePosts: 1,403Member
    Nice job, the second video's cinematography reminded me of the new BSG serie's camera work, which I enjoyed a lot.
  • Kyle_K_skiKyle_K_ski0 Posts: 0Member
    Amazing videos. The asteroid chase of the Y-Wing was beautifully done. If my old car could fly through space, and I could look out my dusty windshield and watch the action, the footage you showed is what I would've seen.

Carefully crafted and well executed work. More please!
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    well, as stated before : camera dust. i'd get rid of it completely :)
    animation is real good. glows, flares and blooms are awsome.
    but im sad i havent see the asteroid blow up.
    there's an asteroid, theres an explosion, there's nothing. no debris, or burning dust or nothing
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1216 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,643Member
    I for one, love the camera dust effect... not only does it add realism, it's simply a very nice artistic twist that gives the piece it's own identity.

Simply awesome work!