Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy Own Connie

13»

• SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Check out Alan Sinclair's plans of the Enterprise. They've got a good cross section of the deflector housing. I'm sorry to say yours looks nothing like the actual one. :p
    I've got this image that I think I saved from Starship Modeler. Can't remember for sure, but it may help....

Got that one already, thanks. :)
  • James MidsenJames Midsen62 Posts: 0Member
    As I said, I'm just starting out.
  • acidstormacidstorm178 Posts: 115Member
    I finished my Connie a few months ago. I ran into the exact same problem on the saucer top as you did. The solution which you discovered was to add more rings for support. No matter how I tried to mess with smoothing groups it would not fix it.

Now I ended up with a bit more rings than I wanted but overall the poly count on this model was not very high so it wasn't as big a deal as I thought at the time.

I included a viewport shot with my wireframe so you could see.
    87233.jpg
    Rory1707
    It's always interesting to see how other people model. Thanks for that!
    Juvat wrote: »
    It's always interesting to see how other people model. Thanks for that!

Yeah no problem. Your connie is coming along very nicely. I'm thinking of redoing some bits on mine after I got a look at some (in my opinion) better schematics. There were some things I just let go that were not exacting because I was simply wanting to finish it. Now I see those differences on my model and think of them as big fat glaring problems I should fix.
    Appreciate it.

There's nothing wrong with putting your own spin on certain elements. You could always just chalk it up to experience and leave it. :) My main goal with this was just to see how well I could follow blueprints since all of my models are on the fly designs, mostly.
    Juvat wrote: »
    Appreciate it.

There's nothing wrong with putting your own spin on certain elements. You could always just chalk it up to experience and leave it. :) My main goal with this was just to see how well I could follow blueprints since all of my models are on the fly designs, mostly.

Yeah adhearing to a strict set of lines laid out in a plan is totally different from your own designs. It's fun though. But a lot of times you are at the mercy of those lines or the lack-there-of, sometimes and you have to make a guess. Those were not so much an issue with the TOS build since there is TONS of sources to draw from for that particular ship. But it certainly is fun!