Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DJumping on the Bandwagon

Mach CritMach Crit0 Posts: 0Member
edited January 2011 in Work in Progress #1
OK, there are about 20-some odd threads on page 1 with Trek. Multiple threads about Enterprise F. So, I thought... Why not? Not sure if it will go anywhere, but here is my idea of the Next-Next-AltNext gen Enterprise.

Keep in mind, I know nothing about Trek-lore (other than Captain Kirk like to double up his fists and smack people in the back during fights, and he liked his women green :rolleyes:). I don't know anything about photon torpedo tubes, phaser strip placement, and the ideal position of warp drives in relation to the chicken sandwich and coffee machines. :lol:

First off, the warp nacelles are tied to the rest of the ship via a modified ring. I seem to recall something about Vulcans using ring shaped warp engines, so there. The entire leading edge of the ring can feed the bussard collectors (whatever those are) on the engines.

Yes, the engineering hull is not connected to the saucer so you can't turbo-lift down to Scotty and the scotch. I figure that in the 25th century you can do most of your work via telepresence through the holodeck and in a pinch you could always teleport to the engine room if it gets to the point where "Me Engines just cannae take any more o' this warp, Cap'n!!"

I would say the ring and nacelle combination (plus favorable winds and the availability of a)Scotch, b) a good fight, or c) Romantic possibilities in teal or mauve) can give warp 16 or higher, but then someone would begin screaming about fan-bois, structural integrity of dilithium, and the possibility that the portside toilets would back up, so I'll just say its fast...:D

Anyhoo, on with the show.

Mach :thumb:
86930.jpg
86931.jpg
Post edited by Mach Crit on
Tagged:

• homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    Mach Crit wrote: »
    ....the ideal position of warp drives in relation to the chicken sandwich and coffee machines. :lol:
    Umm, hello? 23rd century? There were coffee replicators; get your facts straight! :p 2 in engineering, and another in the break room right off the bridge (along with a beer cooler and Spocks Pon Farr-DVD collection)

And don't take my chicken sandwiches!! :mad:

Cool ship idea, looking forward to updates :thumb:
  • Randy TjangRandy Tjang0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice idea but, people might feel that you're ripping off this thread: http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?76992-25th-cen-starship
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    Nice idea but, people might feel that you're ripping off this thread: http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?76992-25th-cen-starship

i dont think so, its a completely different ship, although there are some similarities. Mach-Crit, it couldnt hurt to cite MKF's mesh as one of your sources of inspiration.
  • Capt DaveCapt Dave0 Posts: 0Member
    Umm, hello? 23rd century? There were coffee replicators; get your facts straight! :p 2 in engineering, and another in the break room right off the bridge (along with a beer cooler and Spocks Pon Farr-DVD collection)

And don't take my chicken sandwiches!! :mad:

Cool ship idea, looking forward to updates :thumb:
    Smeg head.

Really though, you both make me laugh.

And strange ship. might be interesting to see where this goes.
  • Fre'dniFre'dni0 Posts: 0Member
    The big problem, it would not need warp nacelles, if it had the ring. I tried the idea,
    asendv.png

Could not figure out where to put the impulse drive, and the bussards
  • walpurgiswalpurgis181 Posts: 0Member
    wow. that is different...
    but interesting...
    one might even say Fascinating:p
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    Concerning Trek-lore: the producers and writers of every single Trek show have routinely flouted any previous attempts at making truly canon rules. The idea that there were concrete rules to Trek was bashed by none other than The Great Bird of the Galaxy - Gene Roddenberry. He always said that the idea of Trek was to convey a message, rather than tell how technology would progress. So anything that you can come up with is pretty relevant, considering that the greatest authority on the subject stated that exact same hypothesis.

I differ from most fans, in that I appreciate new and innovative ideas, and indeed welcome them. If what you establish as your "backstory" for a certain piece doesn't precisely fit with the current fandom, I say THEY are the ones with the cotton in their ears. Never listen to an uberfan on how your "anything" should look. It's your design, and damn the torpedoes!

I like what you've got here. Innovative, and disorienting enough to be a Jeffries design . . . ;-)

Congratulations: you've just designed a Trek-ship worthy of inclusion in a story.

The caveats are that it be

A) Large
    B) Ambiguous to concrete dimensions
    C) Fully explorable

Your design encompasses all of those.

EDIT: You do, however, need to make the saucer and secondary hulls connected. It's easier to create a couple of passageways than to transport someone every time they want to get a socket wrench from the locker on deck 2 . . .
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771268 PNWPosts: 759Member
    I see this as more art sculpture than as a practical design. Kind of like those really strange concept cars that never see production. This isn't a complaint, I really like this design.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    Lizzy777 wrote: »
    I see this as more art sculpture than as a practical design. Kind of like those really strange concept cars that never see production. This isn't a complaint, I really like this design.
    I don't know about that. I'm sure their are famously wealthy people in the 25th century. And we all know how some of these people tend to do eccentric things, like sail the ocean is submarine yacht's that look like a whale and build steam power sports cars.

So I contend that this is a Space Yacht for some Eccentric Trillionaire.
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Didnt think there was "money" in the future.....
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    Interesting design. Reminds me a lot of the Vulcan designs seem in Enterprise, which probably isn't what you were going for. And Road Warrior is right, there is no money in the future, Picard talked about it in ST: Generations.
    Didn't think there was "money" in the future.....
    Its a well known fact that no one will work if they don't have to. If all the more effort they have to put into dinner is walk over to a replicator and ask, then thats all they will do. Its also a well known fact that most people aren't willing to part with the things they had to earn through labor to acquire with out something to replace it, something with equal or greater value.

Even in "The New Economy" as star trek calls it, you have to have raw materials for the replicators to rearrange into the complete products they need/want. And in a nonmonetary commodities exchange, there's still an exchange of value. Some one is going to make a profit.
  • Tochiro76Tochiro760 Posts: 0Member
    I like the idea of the ring shape but maybe you could use this as an opportunity to make some new kind of warp drive tech that makes the ring spin and rotate quickly at the same time instead of just be part of the hull? The ring could move and spin only when the ship is generating a warp field. This would make some interesting FX too so going to warp wouldn't look so boring:-)

The economy in trek is not what you guys think it is. People in the trek stories don't have to go to work but they want to go to work. They have a career as a doctor, lawyer, scientist, politician, member of the federation etc. Their career is what is important to them not sitting around getting fat and doing nothing. In every trek show we have seen so far, humans are always doing something always working even if they are not in starfleet. Yes there are humans trading and selling things here and there which is to be expected when trying to figure out how humans and ferrangi will get along and have some kind of trade relationship.

People in trek work together to improve themselves as a whole, as a species just as picard said in an old episode of TNG where they found those people frozen in that abandoned space vehicle that looked like a satellite. In trek society, money has been replaced with technology and people have evolved mentally to a point where they are not so lazy and ghetto minded. They don't think about getting in line for handouts and they know the difference between right and wrong. They are highly intelligent and speak many languages. The reason for this is because after most of the population of earh was wiped out by mutual destruction, those who were still alive decided it was time to do something different besides killing each other and chasing after money and power.

Someday if humanity is to continue existing or even to exist in a better world. we will have to find a way to merge technology with ourselves and we will have to find a way to replace the need for money with technology.

Altruism can in fact work if all the financial isms are swept away and people work together to share and promote the same basic ethics. Ethics are the basis of our future or atleast a future that is free of greed and lust for power.
  • ZoxesyrZoxesyr332 Posts: 0Member
    Hey! This is like a 25th century version of my future enterprise design.

I love it!
  • Mach CritMach Crit0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow. That was uhhh... I had no idea all geek-speak would come roiling up outta this. About all I know of the advancement of technology melding to humanity for the betterment of mankind is I think the note on the armrest of the captain's chair says "Don't Hypertext and Drive". As far as the economy goes, I guess everyone's working for whoofie:rolleyes:??

Anyhow, for the more pedestrian amongst you (Or to prevent being flogged by the purists) I present concept 2, where the engineers can actually "walk" (wow, what a quaint 20th century concept) or "seq-way" down to engineering. (Geez, the animated Trek series from the 70's had a run in with the KZinti from Larry Niven's universe. You'd think they would have been introduced to the Puppeteers and stepping discs or something).

So, yeah. This is the first of the new "Moebius" class heavy cruisers. The technology is still secret (I don't even have any tech-speak built up on it yet), but it involves a revolutionary "ring and wing" concept to get to a whole new level of warp (with no TRANS-fats along the way). And yes, that's a torpedo launcher at the bottom of the ring and I don't care how many people go off crying about how Spock and MCCoy won't be able to get down there and install an impulse emmision poop sniffer on the last torpedo before everyone gets creamed, it's a torp launcher.

I do have to admit that MadKoi's 25th century Trek ship got me thinking about trying this but I did try not to copy his ideas. I wasn't really going for the open ring look on the main hull, but I do like the pointy hull over the traditional saucer.

Behold, Trek 25 2.0! :lol:
    86978.jpg86979.jpg
    ^ I dont know about "geek-speak" but one thing I do know is that there isnt money in the future acording to Star Trek/ Gene Roddenberry. Star Trek operates a resource-based economy. Gene was possibly modeling his version of the future around ideas similar to those proposed by futurist Jacque Fresco with perhaps a smattering of Zeitgeist ideas thrown in. (But the founder of the Zetegeist movement; Peter Joseph came on the scene much later)

That is a VERY nice lookin' ship!
  • Tochiro76Tochiro760 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah that zetegeist movement is way too creepy, lot worse than those guys at the airport trying to hand out flowers and stuff hehe:-)

Resources of only certain types are needed in trek like the crystals that go in the warp drives because they can't be replicated. I like how they explained that some things just can't be replicated but what bugs me is how people can be transported but not replicated. It is essentially the same thing just right click and select copy instead of move lol. That episode of TNG where riker was replicated in such a way by accident wasn't any help to trek babble either. I just wish they had not given scotty the wrong dialogue in that one TNG episode when the enterprise found him in that old shuttle transporter system and he wanted to know where kirk was even though in the movie generations he saw what happened to kirk long before he took a trip on that shuttle.

Ya know if you move the nacelles up higher just a bit on the ring you could get two more of them on the bottom area of the ring. I dunno why else I thought about that except it was like negative space or something.

Oh and if you mirror the extra two nacelles so the fancy parts in the back will be mirrored it might create a nice shape in negative space.
    Edited
  • Randy TjangRandy Tjang0 Posts: 0Member
    Tochiro76 wrote: »
    Yeah that zetegeist movement is way too creepy, lot worse than those guys at the airport trying to hand out flowers and stuff hehe:-)
    People hand out flowers to you? That's never happened to me before...
  • Deck72Deck720 Posts: 0Member
    How about we not worry about debating future Trek economics and just concentrate on the topic of this thread, which is the creation of this ship? I really love how this design is turning out, and can't wait to see more!
    Heh. Voodoo Trekonomics. And me about to go all Supply-side-Republican on everybody.
    :cool:

Maybe I'm more traditional in my beliefs in work and money. I subscribe to the theories put forth by Heinlein in Starship Troopers (the book, not the movies).

Well, I'm trying out various ideas. I thought about the embedded sensor sections like what I saw on Voyager and I had idea for an impulse engine housing. Not real sure where I want to go with this right now. Maybe I have too many things going on at once.

Not sure I like the main hull right now. I think the sensor blocks need to be smaller. I do like the impulse mounts, tho. I am also in the process of reworking the warp nacelles.
    87022.jpg87023.jpg
    Heh. Voodoo Trekonomics. And me about to go all Supply-side-Republican on everybody.
    :cool:

Maybe I'm more traditional in my beliefs in work and money. I subscribe to the theories put forth by Heinlein in Starship Troopers (the book, not the movies).
    Open at your own risk. Within is hard reality, not opinion.
    You didn't, so I did.

What I know is this, "If you never had to earn anything, you won't have any respect for anything."

I'm the younger of two brothers, and my brother is 4.5 years older. Our father taught us the value of earning our keep by having this board with a list of jobs, when they had to be done, and the pay we would get when we completed them (on time). It also listed our bills. Yes At age 12 I had to pay 5 dollars a week in rent on my room, or it was off to the loft in the barn (which stank like all heck). I had to pay $2 a week for a light bill, or my dad turned off the braker to the bedroom and we didn't get to watch TV.

I learned a lot from my brother's stubbornness. He spent a good month and a half out in that barn. But when the girls a school started laughed at him about how he smelled, he wised up and ponied up the 5 bucks every week.

I being a competitive sort, would always race home every Monday to get my initials by the better paying jobs (often more laborious ones to). I usually earned about 80 to 120 bucks a month that way, while my brother usually made his rent and light bill with enough left over to make a trip to the McDonald's once a month.

Eventually he got wise, and started doing those jobs at other people houses. And was making close to 800 a month. Which he loved waving in my face because dad wouldn't let me do the same until i turned 14.

As a result, both of us learned a strong work ethic.

Yet my cousin (a 43 year old child) is an endless source of frustration to me, because I (his 9 year younger cousin) am having teach him how to live in the real world.

He has no concept of "Responsibility", "Accountability", "Earn", nor"work". His parents, all of his life, simply gave him what he wanted when he wanted it. They never told him "No", never told him "if you want that [whatever] you have to keep your room clean, mow the lawn, wash my car." If he broke his toys, they just replaced them with the "newer, better, toy".

And when they passed on, he blew every last penny they left him. And now he lives in a room over my garage (as a condition of his parole; he stole and totaled one of my cars [duii]) and hates me because I require him to hold down a job to pay his rent and utilities on that room. He hates me because I don't give him what he want, but hold him responsible and accountable for himself.

He is the product of what Mr. Roddenberry saw as a Utopian future free from poverty and hunger; a spoiled brat.
    Well, I'm trying out various ideas. I thought about the embedded sensor sections like what I saw on Voyager and I had idea for an impulse engine housing. Not real sure where I want to go with this right now. Maybe I have too many things going on at once.

Not sure I like the main hull right now. I think the sensor blocks need to be smaller. I do like the impulse mounts, tho. I am also in the process of reworking the warp nacelles.
    Personally I like the direction your going with this ship. Its very nontraditional, and shows real creativity.

If you place the impulse drive where you have it, it would be one of the few star trek ships that are actually inertially balanced (or at least close too it).
    OK, I've been trying things out here. This is where I want to go with the engine. I'm sure there will be some glowy blue bits there as well :lol:
    87131.jpg
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    Communism always sounds nice, until you introduce actual people to it.

I think your sphere on the side is a bit big. Perhaps a quarter of the sphere, instead of half of it?
  • Fre'dniFre'dni0 Posts: 0Member
    Mach, I am really getting used, to your futuristic SF ship. Do you think adding 2 more support struts, on the ventral side, for the rings would help? Could possible be integrated with 2 phaser cannons. The design looks cool enough, even with out the nacelles, for a frigate or a destroyer
    One last render for the night. First of the glowing blue tubes.
    87137.jpg
    This should get the point across a little better. Those bussards were looking sort of stale.
    87163.jpg
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    I actually liked the 3/4 view of your first attempt--but this looks great as well. Something you might want to do lter on. Imagine a flat shuttlecarrier upper hull that sprouts from the saucer as you have it above. It dangles warp nacelles out and down in a wide stance. The saucer is connected to a large, but otherwise normal secondary hull, with two nacelles that rise out and up. The two nacelles to each side are now touching--connected, so that the saucer could discard eith top or bottom hull. From the front, it looks a bid like a Federation version of the TNG warbird, but the upper hull is basically a thru deck shuttlebay, a wide version of Galactica's arm bays...