Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAkira Variant (Alex Jeager/John Eaves)

2»

• fluxfirefluxfire181 Posts: 604Member
    tricky wrote: »
    my 2 pennies on the nacelles, keep them on the top but rotate them 90 degrees, so the thicker side is parallel with the hull. would give the appearance of those side pods and the engines following the same arc over the main body.

not exactly sure what you are seeing in that prospect?
  • trickytricky0 Posts: 0Member
    Rough sketch attached
    77542.jpg
  • kuckuk333kuckuk333178 Posts: 209Member
    to me that's really one of the most idiosyncratic designs i've seen yet.
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    I agree with tricky's suggestion - it helps to fuse all of the elements together - at least from the forward perspective, and makes it looks less like the ship should be trying to "flap" the nacelles like some wacky pair of wings... :D
  • Bmused55Bmused55177 Posts: 487Member
    I'd say get rid of the discs. They don't seem to fit with the flow of the design.
    tricky wrote: »
    Rough sketch attached

Ahh i see what you are getting at just turning the bussards width wise.... hum i might try that...
    kuckuk333 wrote: »
    to me that's really one of the most idiosyncratic designs i've seen yet.

:o
    Starscream wrote: »
    I agree with tricky's suggestion - it helps to fuse all of the elements together - at least from the forward perspective, and makes it looks less like the ship should be trying to "flap" the nacelles like some wacky pair of wings... :D

Hahahahahha...... perhaps will give it a go at some point....
    Bmused55 wrote: »
    I'd say get rid of the discs. They don't seem to fit with the flow of the design.

Hehe the disks were the reason i chose to do this ship in the first place... granted they don't seem to go along with the overall flow of the ship but i think they give this a nice touch of oddness in fed design.

Here is a minor update.... added in the deflector dish... i didn't really like the yellow color that was on the drawing so i went with a blue instead...

AV_1_0_1_9_by_StepTrollthe.jpg
    AV_1_0_2_0_by_StepTrollthe.jpg

Thoughts ideas and what not?
  • Wilson359Wilson3590 Posts: 0Member
    I personally like the first version better, those disc things seem to fit in better.
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    I actually like the design with the nacelles on to a lot. The weird profile surely has a lot of dynamic in it's shape. it looks like that ship really, really, just wants to go places, and fast!
  • vividevolutionvividevolution171 CA. USAPosts: 26Member
    The smooth design really sets it off
    Wilson359 wrote: »
    I personally like the first version better, those disc things seem to fit in better.

Which part are you talking about? as for the disks they have not been touched since i put them on.
    Meph wrote: »
    I actually like the design with the nacelles on to a lot. The weird profile surely has a lot of dynamic in it's shape. it looks like that ship really, really, just wants to go places, and fast!

HAHHAHAHAHAH thanks
    The smooth design really sets it off

:D i like my ships to have a more smooth feel then most others do when they make trek.... i rather like the more organic feel to them...

Done some hull work and added in some more to the engineering section..... not sure on this setup but meh thought i would give it a go :D Also redesigned the deflector a bit.

AV_1_0_2_1_by_StepTrollthe.jpg
    AV_1_0_2_2_by_StepTrollthe.jpg
    AV_1_0_2_3_by_StepTrollthe.jpg
    AV_1_0_2_4_by_StepTrollthe.jpg
    AV_1_0_2_5_by_StepTrollthe.jpg

Thoughts?
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    nice work.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah I like the panels a lot. Looking forward to seeing more ! :thumb:
    Aresius wrote: »
    nice work.

Thanks
    Yeah I like the panels a lot. Looking forward to seeing more ! :thumb:

Thanks as well.... i am not quire sure what i am gonna be doing for the lower section hull plates but meh i will come up with some thing :D
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    it looks too toonish too me
    colbmista wrote: »
    it looks too toonish too me

Oh really well then look at these why don't you :p

AV_1_0_2_6_by_StepTrollthe.jpg
    AV_1_0_2_7_by_StepTrollthe.jpg
    AV_1_0_2_8_by_StepTrollthe.jpg
    AV_1_0_2_9_by_StepTrollthe.jpg

And for the fun of it since this ship is up for download... i thought i would bring back my first ST ship i did :D

star_trek_1_3_4_0_by_StepTrollthe.jpg
    star_trek_1_4_4_2_by_StepTrollthe.jpg
    star_trek_1_4_4_1_by_StepTrollthe.jpg

Any thoughts?
  • angusskyangussky0 Posts: 0Member
    The akira variant looks wonderful, the Achilles is gorgeous.
    Sweet Achilles.
  • JayruJayru1167 UKPosts: 715Member
    The alternative take on the Akira is nice - glad to see someone having a go at it. Looking very good.
    The watcher in the tower... Waiting, hour by hour...
    - Mike Oldfield
    angussky wrote: »
    The akira variant looks wonderful, the Achilles is gorgeous.

Thank you... hehehehe yeah she does look more smexy now :D
    Sweet Achilles.

Jayru wrote: »
    The alternative take on the Akira is nice - glad to see someone having a go at it. Looking very good.

Thank you... i know alot of ppl don't particularly like this version but i think it stands out amoung Alex Jeagers design's

Small update really... didn't have much time to work on her.... got some engineering detail work done and fixed up the deflector area wasn't looking right... also added in the impulse engines...

AV_1_0_3_0_by_StepTrollthe.jpg
    AV_1_0_3_1_by_StepTrollthe.jpg
    AV_1_0_3_2_by_StepTrollthe.jpg
    AV_1_0_3_3_by_StepTrollthe.jpg

More to come later on gonna get started on the rest of the hull plating... then start on the fun of all the windows :p
    sweet update, I like the details.
  • IronscytheIronscythe0 Posts: 0Member
    I don't know if this was already said, but here goes-- I don't think you can really call this a variant of the Akira class. Sure, the dorsal area of the saucer is similar, and so are the nacelles, but there's less similarity between this and the Akira than between the Galaxy and Nebula classes. Its lines seem too deliberate to be a simple rearrangement of parts like the aforementioned Nebula.

Side note: Am I the only one who thinks those side dish-thingies make it look like a dedicated science ship? I also get flashes of the Nebakanezer from The Matrix, with its hover-disks.
    sweet update, I like the details.

Thanks.... i am gonna be redoing the impulse engines a bit not quite satisfied with them then on to the hull plates....
    Ironscythe wrote: »
    I don't know if this was already said, but here goes-- I don't think you can really call this a variant of the Akira class. Sure, the dorsal area of the saucer is similar, and so are the nacelles, but there's less similarity between this and the Akira than between the Galaxy and Nebula classes. Its lines seem too deliberate to be a simple rearrangement of parts like the aforementioned Nebula.

Side note: Am I the only one who thinks those side dish-thingies make it look like a dedicated science ship? I also get flashes of the Nebakanezer from The Matrix, with its hover-disks.

Hahahah well i can't deny that the disk do give that matrix feel to the ship.... as for your points on the variant status i can see why you would think that it is more of a nebula galaxy mix... however if you were to ignore how the over all shape is and imagine the akira with a solid back section and a hull attached under her saucer you can see how this ship would be very much a variant of that ship.... that said i still think calling her an akira variant fits the over status of the ship....
  • Triton1Triton10 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome! I really liked this design concept when John Eaves first displayed it on his Eavesdropping with Johnny blog. I guess we can imagine that this starship class was designed and commissioned before the Nebula class. Perhaps commissioned a little bit before the Akira class or as a contemporary of the Akira class.

Eavesdropping with Johnny blog entry at:
    http://johneaves.wordpress.com/2009/06/04/alex-jeager-and-the-ships-of-first-contact/

We have the unseen Zodiac and Rigel classes that are more or less in the range I would believe would be assigned to this design--

Zodiac Class
    USS Yorktown NCC-61137

Rigel Class
    USS Akagi NCC-62158
    USS Tolstoy NCC-62095

Perhaps we can stretch to make it the Korolev class.

Korolev Class

USS Goddard NCC-59621

I believe that Zodiac or Rigel class would be a dandy class name for this ship design.

The elliptical side dishes on the saucer section remind me of the AWACs pod on the USS Phoenix in the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "The Wounded." The red elliptical detail that Jaeger added on them makes me think of phaser strips.

The side dishes also remind me of Princess Leia's hair style in Star Wars: A New Hope. Leia-class starship? j/jk ;-)
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    You do realize the last time someone posted on here was nearly a year ago?
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    Ironscythe wrote: »

I guess the class could be named Nebuchadnezzar-class as a homage to The Matrix and its hoverships.

Wikipedia has a list of the hoverships in the Matrix series at:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ships_in_the_Matrix_serie

Maybe a reference to Osiris the hovership in the short Last Flight of the Osiris?
    oldmangreg wrote: »
    You do realize the last time someone posted on here was nearly a year ago?

If it's an issue, ask a mod to delete my replies.
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    You do realize the last time someone posted on here was nearly a year ago? :/
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    Triton1 wrote: »
    Awesome! I really liked this design concept when John Eaves first displayed it on his Eavesdropping with Johnny blog. I guess we can imagine that this starship class was designed and commissioned before the Nebula class. Perhaps commissioned a little bit before the Akira class or as a contemporary of the Akira class.

I think I am one of the few modelers that will attempt some of the more random designs... if there are others that have tried this one i certainly haven't seen any posts o.O

And yes i have more or less stopped using this thread for this ship... I have kinda dumped all my designs and ships in to my Zanadour project thread as it is just easier then going through the multiple threads that i have started..... though I do think its long over due to work on this particular design....
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Triton1 wrote: »
    If it's an issue, ask a mod to delete my replies.

Moderator action shouldn't be necessary in the first place - it's a matter of abiding by board etiquette (not to mention common decency) by not necroposting.