Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Robert Goddard

walpurgiswalpurgis181 Posts: 0Member
edited January 2011 in Work in Progress #1
I think there is a thread for an earlier version of this ship, but I cant find it, so, here is the USS Robert Goddard. as you can see, the ship has the conventional ST Saucer/engineering hull design but, instead of a tubelike nacelle on either side it has just one ring-shaped one wrapped around it.
86299.jpg
86300.jpg
Post edited by walpurgis on
Tagged:

• colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    i know it isnpired buy the early vulcand esigns but it just looks corny witha fed design
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    Reluctantly, I find myself agreeing with Colbmista.

It's true that annular drives appear on various Vulcan ships in Enterprise, and there's a ship with one in Space Flight Chronology, but there haven't been any that I can recall since the birth of the Federation.
  • walpurgiswalpurgis181 Posts: 0Member
    I got the idea from a fan-fiction series that predates ST:ENT and the ship in the story was supposed to be a transwarp prototype. the series is no longer gong but the idea of a ring shaped nacelle has stuck with me ever since. In my original design, the nacelle was horizontal, and wrapped all the way around the main body of the ship, which looked like the Tsiolkovsky from TNG.
    Why don't you try it that way and see how it goes? The saucer you've modeled here looks like it comes from about the Ambassadore era.
    the Goddard is not from any specific era. the saucer probably looks that way because it is comparatively small. the ship itself is only about 16 decks tall, shorter than the original Enterprise.
  • captain_millscaptain_mills174 Posts: 0Member
    Cool... unlike the others, I kinda like it... I think it could use some help, but it's got lots of potential. I created a Fed/Vulcan hybrid on these forums a year or so ago called the USS Yellowstone. It was based off an old Cardiff Class design from the Journal of Applied Technology...

http://www.treknology.org/starships2.htm

Unfortunately I accidentally deleted my mesh I'd created. Will have to start over I guess...
  • tondemonaitondemonai173 Posts: 26Member
    I'm so glad to see an unconventional nacelle design! maybe one day I'll be able to use a 3d program myself and put mine up here with it's sled-type nacelle.
    sled-type? like runners on a sled?
  • tondemonaitondemonai173 Posts: 26Member
    Not exactly...at the risk of going horribly off-topic... think of a standard warp coil and unloop it into a line. The design uses a wave tech instead of a bubble - as seen in TNG that can handle warp speeds. Perhaps I'll get a design up onto the 2d forum....
    hmmm, interesting
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    walpurgis: You're free to submit your (discontinued) fic project to "Star Trek: New Worlds"
    the fic isn't mine- it was a collaborative effort by people far more talented than I. the original website is gone but a certain amount of the content remains in an archive here. check it out if you are interested
    I started working on a new trek ship design yesterday and i decided that it would look best with an annular nacelle. here it is: working title- SS. Tsiolkovsky-2 NCC-53911-2
    86557.jpg
    Now that, I kinda dig. Run with it!
  • captain_millscaptain_mills174 Posts: 0Member
    Ah, yes... very new and interesting! Would love to see some progress!

CM
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    haha nice the feds flying sauser
    here is the dorsal! :D
    86558.jpg
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    A ring-nacelle.... And this time not vertical like Vulcans but horizontal... Now that's a new thing here.
    Looking forward where that goes.
  • salsasalsa171 Posts: 0Member
    I'll be watching this thread.

Very nice with the ring warp nacelle.
    This is a very rough cutaway of what I think the bridge is going to look like
    the consoles around the outside are of course not actually going to be continuous like that, and the captains chair sucks but it gives a rough sketch of the bridge elements.
    the consoles are arranged in an outward- facing manner because the entire outside wall is deigned to act as a holographic veiwscreen, giving as panoramic view of the ships immediate surroundings in an emergency situation, and allowing for enhanced functionality for various other purposes.

Hmm... not a very good pic, I'll have to make a better one
    86585.png
    It's a good pic for showing your ideas. The key to modeling is to get a little better all the time, to have an idea and stretch yourself to be able to express it. Of course, you also have to know when to say, "That's good enough for now; maybe I'll revisit it another time." :cool:
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    Very interesting. Only suggestion is to whack up the poly count and thus get less segmentation on the ring. It's what most peoples eyes will be drawn to, so it needs to be smooth as it can be. :D
    here is a picture of the Tsiolkovsky with an improved, smoother, ring and some windows.
    here is also a picture of the deflector.
    sorry that they're .JPEG, they were too large as .PNGs
    86834.jpg86835.jpg