Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DThe Capricorn Embarks Blender Animation Freedom, Olympic, and Challenger Classes

Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
edited January 2011 in Work in Progress #1
Here's a quick animation I've been working on, and I thought I would go ahead and show it. The principal clips have been rendered, so there's not much I can really do to change the clip, but please tell me your suggestions anyway, so I can use them on my next clip.

In this clip the U.S.S. Capricorn finally embarks from the Polaris Shipyards in order to rendezvous with task fleet Avalon and begin it's four year mission seeking a passage past the great barrier and into the inner reaches of the galaxy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq-KOnfOvB8

The meshes in this clip are all mine own, except the little Work Bees, which were created by Crimsonline.
86750.jpg
Post edited by Polaris 004 on
Tagged:

• Stevie_DStevie_D191 Posts: 155Member
    Thats really good Polaris!

The Generations Suite music really works well with it.

The only nit i really had was when you had the flyby going through the dock, the camera seemed to come out the other end, then turn around. If you're trying to give the impression of the camera being a shuttle - thats perfect imo.

But if you're trying to give the impression of just a camera flying through, id suggest turning the camera as it passes the Capricorn so the ship stays center view the moment the camera is passing it (say on the bridge or its reg). And by the time the camera comes to a halt in space the other end, it will have stayed looking at the ship! :) (if that doesnt make sense, just shout! I ramble sometimes).

But either way, its a great lil' animation. Makes me antsy to finish my current ships so i can do neat stuff like this with them :)
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    I concur about flipping the view while staying focused on the registry or bridge. Otherwise? Fabulous!
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    Rivers3D wrote: »
    The only nit i really had was when you had the flyby going through the dock, the camera seemed to come out the other end, then turn around. If you're trying to give the impression of the camera being a shuttle - thats perfect imo.

But if you're trying to give the impression of just a camera flying through, id suggest turning the camera as it passes the Capricorn so the ship stays center view the moment the camera is passing it (say on the bridge or its reg). And by the time the camera comes to a halt in space the other end, it will have stayed looking at the ship! :) (if that doesnt make sense, just shout! I ramble sometimes).

No, that makes perfect sense, and is such a good suggestion I am going to try to re-render that clip and change the camera rotation. It will be a hassle to re-edit the scene, but it would be worth it. Thanks.
    Wow that was not as hard as I thought it might be... and I learned new stuff about editing IPO curves, so win-win. Thanks again for the suggestion, Rivers3D and Walkyrje. I think the clip looks a LOT better now. See if you agree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnmbirlXG0U

I may just post this clip in the 3d galleries...
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    Neat movie! I can just imagine the captain and crew leaning to one side, like they did in Galaxy Quest... ;)
  • Stevie_DStevie_D191 Posts: 155Member
    Now THATS what im talking about! :)

Its amazing how turning the camera at the right moment makes all the difference to the clip. Im glad i suggested it now :) Gives a real sense of the size of the ship, and makes you subconciously know she's the star of the show :)
    Rivers3D wrote: »
    Now THATS what im talking about! :)

Its amazing how turning the camera at the right moment makes all the difference to the clip. Im glad i suggested it now :) Gives a real sense of the size of the ship, and makes you subconciously know she's the star of the show :)

Yes. Exactly. She becomes the center of the flyby instead of an element. Also, she's in the entire pull-back from the bay, and there's something about how the camera slows down at that moment that gives her a stateliness and gravity she didn't have before. Thanks again...
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    That rocks my small, self-centered world. :cool:
    Walkyrje wrote: »
    That rocks my small, self-centered world. :cool:

I hereby nominate this comment as "Funniest and Most Perfect Comment Posted in a Thread" for the year of 2011,