Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DI suck at drawing...

MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
edited January 2011 in Work in Progress #1
..but apparently, what I suck at even more is transferring my own sketches to 3d.
20110115001405.png

It looks fatter in the top view than I wanted I intended.

I wanted the saucer to be lower than most of the ship, and imagined it would look something like the nose on Coolhand's awesome Ionia class, but wasn't exactly sure how to draw it.

Tried to see if I could make more sense of it in 3d, but not much luck:
20110115030613.png

So I thought, maybe someone else out there has the skill to make it work :)
86759.jpg
Post edited by Melak on
Tagged:

• I don't think you suck at drawing, I can see what you're trying to achieve and I think it's pretty damn cool, most of art is about imparting information to others, which you have succeeded at admirably, keep it up :)
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    You are running into one of the biggest challenges we face as modelers. When 2D talent has to go up against 3D reality it's always an epic battle. Firstly I agree with chuckles...You can draw just fine. And I think your 3D version of your 2D design thus far is great!

Here are some things I had to overcome when I made the 2 to 3 transition:

• I discovered that a design with a stunning and cool looking side view/elevation, once turned into a 3D model, sometimes no longer looked that great.
    • Some shapes we envision as 2D artists are simply impossible to render in 3D
    • Depth, width, height all become much more important.

One thing that can help you even when hashing out a simple thumbnail sketch you want to develop into a 3D model such as your above example is to thumbnail out at least 3 different views minimum vs the 2 you did and it's best to do 4 views. When you do that you get a better idea of how the 3D geometry will work out and how complex the model will need to be.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Looks like we got something in common there, Melak. I'm also a bad drawer, but a worse 3D-artist.

Wusste gar nicht, dass Du aus Berlin kommst. ;) Schone Gruse nach da oben.
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    You guys might think I'm average at 2D and 3D, but compared to the magic I see in my -minds- eye, everything I do sucks major corporal hairy balls.
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    Meh...never sell yourself short. Art is art..period.
  • rwkingrwking189 Posts: 173Member
    One thing that helps me.........is to break down the idea/concept drawn on paper to basic shapes.....that I can create and put together in 3D.

For instance.....looking at your sketch......your primary hull is a triangle, The connecting neck/body is a tapered tube, the nacelle pylons are trapezoids.

Try that and see how it works.