Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAn old-school twist on the Enterprise F

[Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
edited January 2011 in Work in Progress #1
Exorior.jpg

Yeah, I know it's traditional looking, but I'm old-school.
I was going for a future-fitting profile and nifty fore view with a traditional top-down silhouette.

I know a lot of folks are looking for something more futuristic out of the Enterprise F but this is my take for what it's worth. I don't have time to do more than a rough 3D model for the contest, I hope to find the time to model and texture her properly over the next few months. :)
Post edited by Unknown User on
Tagged:

• BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    I'm not quite sure what to think of the shape. The flat-y saucer top combined with the bulky underside makes me cringe a bit, and overall the nacelles don't quite match the overall felling of the rest of the ship. I'm not sure if you're planning on exploring the shape a bit further, but IMHO the ship could use some better curves, especially around the secondary hull's back...
  • Dark AngelDark Angel331 Posts: 1Member
    Love to see more Cleeve!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    BorgMan wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you're planning on exploring the shape a bit further...

Thanks for the input Borgman. I think it's pretty locked down at this point, as I've taken it where I wanted it to go.

I do appreciate that the shapes don't sit well with your taste, hopefully the textures and details will make the whole thing a little more cohesive for you.
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    I LOVE it.

It's the best effing F I've yet seen.

The only suggestion I have about the overall shape is this: I really like the nacelles, their shape is GREAT. But instead of having them horizontal, maybe see what they look like angled Diagonally. So instead of " --" like you have now, from the front they would look " " and " // ". I'm thinking of the Intrpid class AT warp. Does that make sense? Cause i could draw a picture if you don't understand. I think it would lend a little continuity, AND make the design more "modern" without messing too much with your lines and the traditional profile.

Oh, and you know what? Circular saucer for this girl. Plain old vanilla round. Trust me. People keep thinking of new and improved ways to distort the saucer. I think returning to round would be really classy. And I say this as a huge fan of the Galaxy class. The D is my Favorite Enterprise. There's just nowhere else to go but back to the perfect golden circle. Maybe you could give it a Slight ellipse forward, but consider the return of the circle.

Seriously, I love this. This is awesome. Maybe I'm just stuck in the "past" but these "future of the future" designs that are all flowing and compressed make my nose bleed.
  • RekkertRekkert4101 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,310Member
    I like it a lot! But I think the saucer could use some more uniqueness, it looks too generit to me, but perhaps the textures will do the trick. Anyway I like the ship's shape a lot.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    Man, I just love this thing's profile, especially from the front.
    But instead of having them horizontal, maybe see what they look like angled Diagonally.

Great minds think alike, I did consider this. It's a tough call actually, but in the end I chose flat nacelles because I want to add as much distance from the original enterprise as I can seeing how the top down view is uber-traditional.

I have to admit I'm still a little on the fence about it. It does look good, but I like them flat, too.
    Rekkert wrote: »
    I like it a lot! But I think the saucer could use some more uniqueness, it looks too generit to me, but perhaps the textures will do the trick. Anyway I like the ship's shape a lot.

Thanks for the kind words, all.

I wrestled with the saucer. I did innovate a little with an upper lip over the edge and an indented ring around the circumference. When I flesh it out some more there will be some interesting details added that I have in mind, but I think I want to keep the general shape as it is.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    I love it. It has an edgy, dangerous feel.
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    I like it. It's a cool idea from the original design.
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    Yay, another F! I also like the old schoolness of the design. Yours looks far more like an enterprise than I think mine is. Looking forward to seeing the textures. Regardles of timeframes it takes you, don't forget to put the last version on the other thread in the gallery. :)