Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DU.S.S. Enforcer, TNG Miranda Class refit, WIP....

F9thCenturusF9thCenturus331 Posts: 5Member
edited December 2010 in Work in Progress #1
It's been a while since I posted anything. If any of you remember my U.S.S. Resurrection model, which was a post TNG Connie refit, then you know I haven't been making ships from scratch for very long.

Anyway, I've been wanting to make my own Miranda refit for a long time, and finally decided to take a stab at it.

The concept behind this ship is that she was the first refit to upgrade the survivability of the Miranda Class during the Dominion War, considering the Mirandas were suffering heavy losses.

The Enforcer sports phaser arrays to replace the old ball turret phaser banks. The warp engines have been modified to utilize current tech (I like having a retro look, cause it's not what's on the outside, but what's under the hood that counts). I replaced the impulse engines with a triple vent design, and slightly redesigned the saucer so it's no longer concave. Necessary for the phaser arrays.

Also, as you can see, she's got a brand new bridge module, and instead of the old torpedo pod, she has a main deflector pod, along with 2 twin mini deflector modules mounted on the top of the ship towards the aft. I haven't gotten around to making the twin weapons pods that will be located where the old mega phasers used to be.

Anyway, I've talked long enough. Here's the ship.
84809.jpg
84810.jpg
84811.jpg
84812.jpg
Post edited by F9thCenturus on
Tagged:

• AardwolfAardwolf171 Posts: 82Member
    Is it still going to have the arch?
  • F9thCenturusF9thCenturus331 Posts: 5Member
    You mean the rollbar? If so, yes. In fact, the rollbar, hopefully, will have phaser arrays as well for added top aft coverage.
  • Phoenix9000Phoenix90000 Posts: 0Member
    Lookin good so far :)
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    Great idea, and a really strong start. Is there a reason the top phaser strip has that gap in the middle? Cause I really, really, hate that look, ever since Voyager premiered. If there's a reason, I guess it's okay. Everything else looks great. I like the total break with tradition for the impulse drives, and the deflector is going to look really cool. Can't wait to see the weapon pods. I hope you will update some of the features on the nacelles too. I like that you kept the old shape for the frame, but I would like to see Red scoops and blue gloy grates over the warp coils. (It LOOKS like that's the way you're going, but I wanted to make sure...)
    I wanted to break up the phaser array on the top saucer, just to make it interesting. And as for the warp nacelle, you are correct. She's gonna have red front bussards and blue warp grilles on both sides.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Interesting. Seems very close to the original so far. I like it. :)
    Thanks. I don't like going full radical on design changes when I approach a refit concept. I like to make the changes that I feel are necessary, to preserve the design and appearance of the ship. Not always easy.
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    This refit is a good idea! Go ahead!
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    All this design really needed was a visible nav deflector. The rest would be all the usual canon sub-class additions & TNG/DS9-era upgraded nacelles. The holodeck, corridors, labs, sickbay, bridge and quarters should look like the Enterprise-E or Voyager.
    I suppose you're right, however, I didn't see anything wrong with updating some more elements beyond what you suggested. However, the replacing of the old ball turret banks with phaser arrays I feel would be a more necessary upgrade. They're more power efficient and cover a larger firing arc.

On a side note, I forgot to mention that the twin weapons pods that I have in mind will house fore and aft pulse phaser emitters, as well as forward firing micro photon and quantum torpedo launchers, and aft firing photon torpedo launchers. The trick I'm having problems with is coming up with a design that I actually like, and merging it with a rollbar that I've already made, but haven't shown yet. There's still quite a bit I don't know about 3D modeling, so some things come easy, while others take a little while longer to figure out.
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    Hmm...good points, but also why not include one solitary torpedo-cluster / phaser canon rollbar module housed in a modified "New Orleans-Class"-style saucer-mounted launcher? Just an idea.
    I might do that for a variant, cause it is a very interesting idea. I could bring out a gunboat variant, in where the twin mini deflector modules are replaced with fore and aft firing weapons modules, along with matching modules on the rollbar where I plan to place the twin weapons pods. Then again I might just do away with the rollbar idea for such a gunboat variant. I'll have to think about it.

Oh, should anyone else read this thread, I am open for some design suggestions for a weapons pod design for this ship of mine. I'm still having problems trying to design one. The concept will be that these will be twin weapons pods mounted on either end of the rollbar where the warp pylons are, and that they will house forward firing pulse phasers and micro quantum and photon torpedo launchers, and aft firing pulse phasers and micro quantum torpedo launchers.
    I finally managed to build the twin weapons pods, and they're integrated into the rollbar as well. Thanks goes out to WickedZombie for the design.
    86313.jpg86314.jpg86315.jpg
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    NICE! Glad to see you're still working on this. The rollbar settings look great. This is really turning out to be a thing of beauty.
    NICE! Glad to see you're still working on this. The rollbar settings look great. This is really turning out to be a thing of beauty.

Thanks!! I'm really happy that people like the ship, and yes, I can't wait to see the day when she'll be fully textured and ready for use.
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    Interesting, kinda hard to comment on the TNG refit at the moment since there's not that much detail.

I'd recommend phaser strips on the top flat sections of the rollbars... or a single longer one down the length of the torpedo launcher. that'll give you more aft coverage. Not too sure if you wanna put more then the array on the underside, anything between the warp nacelles is a bad idea from a tactical point of view because you don't want to accidentally hit a warp engine during the heat of battle.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    Nadesico wrote: »
    you don't want to accidentally hit a warp engine during the heat of battle.

If I were a naval architect in Starfleet, I'd put a software lock-out on the targeting computer so that weapons could not be targeted through the structure of the ship. That's the sort of mistake you only have to make once before it becomes a standard in software throughout the fleet!
  • gerb200gerb200176 Posts: 114Member
    Love that bridge!
    The top of the rollbar will have phaser arrays, I just haven't modeled them in yet. And you're right about accidentally firing on part of the ship, that's why I modeled the bottom phaser arrays the way I did. I believe that will give the most amount of phaser coverage while still maintaining the most amount of safety. I am going to place phaser arrays on the side pylons as well for port and starboard coverage.
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    Walkyrje wrote: »
    If I were a naval architect in Starfleet, I'd put a software lock-out on the targeting computer so that weapons could not be targeted through the structure of the ship. That's the sort of mistake you only have to make once before it becomes a standard in software throughout the fleet!

The number of times something happened in starfleet and there was no "fleet wide" upgrade to fix the problem is staggering, some of those nasty problems like "backups to holodeck failsafes" and whatnot STILL didn't get added to subsequent ships, so ya can't put it past starfleet to be stupid enough to let you shoot your own ship! haha.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    Nadesico wrote: »
    The number of times something happened in starfleet and there was no "fleet wide" upgrade to fix the problem is staggering, some of those nasty problems like "backups to holodeck failsafes" and whatnot STILL didn't get added to subsequent ships, so ya can't put it past starfleet to be stupid enough to let you shoot your own ship! haha.

So true. There isn't a single asteroid between Earth and the Gamma Quadrant that doesn't have a piece of my ship's hull and an imprint of my face on it. :-D Guess I should have paid more attention in my navigation classes.