Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DJem! lol

TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
edited December 2010 in Work in Progress #1
So I'm doing a faux concert poster of the 80s cartoon popstar, Jem for a client. I decided to break with the sci-fi and go for something candy flavored. :D
So, it's an early rough; I've only really got the logo built so far.
As for Jem, I was curious if I should keep her original big hair or go for something a tad more modern a-la Qwen Stephanie.

What do you think?
Time to access your inner girl! lmao
86064.gif
86034.jpg
86033.jpg
Post edited by Tovette on

• rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
    I tried to access my inner girl, but she was having none of it. When I ask her what's wrong she pouts and says "Nothing!" Typical.

ANYway. I really hated the 80's big hair. I like the 2nd one.
  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    Alright, cool. I still have a lot of rendering to do before I really get to the hair. I'll probably leave the hair for last since it's the one thing I'll be fighting with. :p
    Start throwing in colors to nail down Jem's classic pink cocktail dress. In the cartoon, Jem is, like, an A or B cup. Oh contraire :D
    The big hair isn't what I'm for sure going with; it's just something I threw in to help with the overall look.
    86035.jpg
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771268 PNWPosts: 759Member
    This is outrageous! Truly, truly, truly, outrageous!

OK I couldn't resist... Anyway if you're doing an 80s style, then definitely do the Big 80s hair. The whole glamrock look is a large part of the character. Otherwise you could go in a slightly different direction and do more of a Madonna or Cindy Lauper look. More Girl Power and less Twisted Sister (as far as stage fashion goes).

If you want a more modern style Jem, then I'd suggest P!NK, or Gwen Stefani. But for "outrageous" the only new musician I can think of is Lady Gaga.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    Thanks, Lizzy! Yeah, Lady Gaga is definitely not were I want to end up lol. :p There's a Gwen Stefani hair look she had that I chould work for this but I'll wait until lat in the the painting.
  • traqtraq0 Posts: 0Member
    big hair. def.
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    For a pop star image is everything. Since we don't know what Jem has been doing since the end of her cartoon, we have to keep to the 80's image we have of her. Keep the big hair.
    Here's some "Then and Now" pics from Elle UK. Shows an evolving style from famous celebrities which might give you some ideas
    http://www.elleuk.com/starstyle/special-features/(section)/Celebrity-Special-Then-and-Now
    Thanks, Lizzy. I checked out that site. It seems a lot of modern hair styles are just very simple straight hair. Hmm it'll give me more to consider with Jem's hair...
    I've been painting all day today. Got a good chunk of the face done. Still have to do some polishing. I was hoping to get all of Jem done today, but I got distracted by other things. I've got the belt/sash thing she wears around her waist almost finished too; I'll post it later.
    What's left? Have to complete the hands and the microphone she's holding in one of them. Add accessories- necklace, bracelets. Finish up the background which will require some research on Google for 80s patterns. Typography to complete too.

****, that sounds like a lot left :\
    86063.jpg
  • I hate that you paint this well and Jem of all things! Great work as always, big hair is definitely the way to go but more because it's so indicative of the era not because it's cool :D
    Thanks, Firelode! I just spent the last several hours figuring out a technique to paint sequins into Jem's dress with the least amount of effort but still have a nice effect. I think I've figured it out and the next update will feature more of Jem's clothing. :)
    Some more progress done on it... almost there. :)
    86088.jpg
    :thumb:
    All done!! :)
    TRULY OUTRAGEOUS!!! :P
    Concert_Poster_small_100_dpi.jpg
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Great stuff Nate.

I sort of remember the cartoon. My sisture use to watch it. I just remember thinking can't this crap finish so I can watch Transformers or M.A.S.K LOL
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Wow she looks really good ... however, you're only known for the good stuff :D
    Thanks guys. :)