Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PracticalClassic Star Trek Cabin Set Replica

PromusPromus0 Posts: 0Member
edited December 2010 in Work in Progress #1
My Dad and I agreed that it would be really cool to finish off one of the rooms in his house to look like an officer's quarters aboard a TOS-era spacecraft. Since it's not EXACTLY like the kind on the Stareship Class, Constitution-variant ships, I created my own class and variant of starship for it to "belong" to. Here's a link to the ship itself: http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/2d-gallery/54439-ss-benedict-xvi-spaceship-class-papal-variant.html#post379506
And here are the images of the room/cabin. :)

th_room1.jpg th_EPSN0001.jpg th_EPSN0007.jpg th_EPSN0012.jpg th_EPSN0014.jpg th_EPSN0017.jpg th_EPSN0020.jpg th_EPSN0023.jpg th_EPSN0028.jpg th_EPSN0031.jpg th_EPSN0032.jpg th_EPSN0033.jpg th_EPSN0034.jpg th_EPSN0035.jpg th_EPSN0037.jpg th_480202.jpg th_EPSN0040.jpg th_441104.jpg th_441105.jpg th_461302.jpg

The props were custom-built by myself, while my Dad did the mirror (I'm still amazed by his work!).
Post edited by Promus on
Tagged:

• Badi_DeaBadi_Dea0 Posts: 0Member
    that's really cool!
    If you ran a bed and breakfast, I would totally pay to sleep there :thumb:
  • PromusPromus0 Posts: 0Member
    Badi_Dea wrote: »
    that's really cool!
    If you ran a bed and breakfast, I would totally pay to sleep there :thumb:

Thanks!!

And lol...you totally gave me an awesome idea!! My dad's been joking for a while that we should open up our own "Star Trek TOS: The Experience." :lol:
  • EndeavourEndeavour331 Posts: 0Member
    Hmm...geeky, but very cool! :thumb:

That would be an awesome B&B idea...I've seen a few with different themed rooms, those are always fun to look at.
  • corvusmagistercorvusmagister0 Posts: 0Member
    I like the red alert indicator (and the whole build, awesome!). In my house, I think my wife would control the red alert button to activate it.
  • mcmillermcmiller331 Posts: 0Member
    That must be the mythical, but rarely seen "head" behind one of those blue doors. :lol:

Very nice. The vanity/chest with the mirror and all the individual prop touches really make this work. :cool:

This looks like it's an attic space that you and your dad finished. Any problems or extra expense for some of the materials? And is the window on the end just temporarily covered?
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    Looks great, although if you sleep right at the edge of the bed like I do I can see that mattress flipping over in the night.
  • universaltimuniversaltim0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, what a great job! It may be the epitome of nerdiness, but I still love it. I remember the guy who did the entire interior of his house to look like Voyager (or something close), which was still cool, but expensive. What you've done here with the one room is pretty neat and looks to be much more affordable. I like the bed and breakfast Trek edition idea too. I wouldn't mind staying there! Now if I can just convince my girlfriend...well, that's a whole other battle entirely.
    I like the red alert indicator (and the whole build, awesome!). In my house, I think my wife would control the red alert button to activate it.

I'm guessing the "battlestations" you'd have to take if you heard the siren would be the kitchen sink too, eh?? :lol:

You're right, McMiller, the head IS through the blue door on the left. We TOS-ified it as well; the green carpet extends into there, and the shower stall is cylindrical, like the rotating dresser (ours doesn't rotate, though...it just looks like it could, down to the control button). The toilet isn't especially futuristic, but the sink handles are compact units that look like something you might see on an airplane. I ought to post pictures of the head, too! I don't know why I didn't... :confused:

Finishing off the attic space (it's above the garage) wasn't any more expensive than finishing off most rooms, but it was VERY tricky to put up the drywall and spackle it, since there were so many odd shapes and outside corners to take care of. Very time consuming and very difficult!

The window is still there, it's just temporarily covered. We built a "box" of sorts with a wooden frame and masonite backing, which fits right over the window's border. The exterior-facing side is painted white, so if you look at the window from the outside of the house, it looks like a regular curtain covers it. But from the inside, it looks like a kind of TOS electrical junction box! The pipes are PVC piping that I split in half, spray-painted, and wedged up there for that TOS look. :D

And actually, biotech, the mattress doesn't flip over! I often sleep on the edge, too, and the whole thing is quite comfortable, really!! :D

UPDATE: Here's the thread that shows you what the ship itself looks like: http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/2d-gallery/54439-ss-benedict-xvi-spaceship-class-papal-variant.html#post379506
  • BLord8067BLord80670 Posts: 0Member
    Very Cool. You guys did a great job putting this together!
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    Great job on the room. I would lose the piece of artwork on the wall that looks like a disco-swastika, but other than that, I love it.
    You really think it looks like a swastika? My dad did that in an art class he had to take while going to college at West Point Military Academy...

But I'm glad you like the room! :D
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Man Im curious- what exact color is the walls and ceiling? I was thinking you would have chosen a more blue/grey. A very light blue/grey of course.

Too bad you dont have more areas to renivate. You and your dad have done a terrific job.
    The walls and ceiling are "Dolphin" or something, which was a medium-dark grey. The waist-high divider walls and shelves were of a slightly darker shade. The photos of the room make the walls look more cream-colored than they actually are; the close-up pictures of the mirror and the red alert indicators give a better idea of what color the walls really are. :)
    Thanks for the clarification man.
    No problem! Thanks for the question. :D
    I have a sugestion, well just an observation realy....in pic 8 wouldnt it look cool to have a big red UFP pennant hanging there? It just seems to me that the room is missing more contrasting colors....nothing wrong with the way it is already , just my two cents.

Also youre right about the wall color. The last few pics look way more acurate.
    Eh, that's not a bad idea, but a UFP pennant might look more appropriate in a briefing room or something similar - cabins are usually reserved for personal items and decorations. For example, I don't know of too many people who have American flags hanging in their rooms... :D

But that's still an interesting idea. Thanks for the input! I do plan on putting a red sign on the "wall-box" near my bed, in the style of the "Engineering Personnel Only" sign that you sometimes see near inter-deck access ladders. That big box on the wall is supposed to be sort of an maintenance access wiring box and only qualified people should have access to it...which is what the sign would say. My ship is pretty small and isn't as luxurious as ships like the Enterprise, so maintenance hatches appear all over the place, regardless of appropriateness! :D
  • AkimaAkima0 Posts: 0Member
    That is so nerdy... But also SO COOL!

Conception and execution are excellent. Is that a 23rd century collection of antique cameras?

"The needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many"
    Haha, yes - I like old cameras for some reason, and since Sulu collects old guns and Scotty has armor hanging up in his cabin, I figured it would be appropriate! ;)

I'm glad you like it. :D
  • picard1985picard19850 Posts: 0Member
    "friend of picard1985": sad so very sad.. and i thought picard1985 was a trekkie
  • picard1985picard19850 Posts: 0Member
    this comment was not made by my im sorry for what my friend (title now in question) said. i was temporarily hijacked
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    Speaking as a person who isn't a trek fan at all really. I gotta say, this room is excellent! It looks bang on from my memory of the show as a kid, and the level of detail is outstanding. So for the person who hijacked Picard1985's account, lets see you do something better.
  • tetsujintetsujin0 Posts: 0Member
    What, no bright red pocket doors?
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    Now to put the ipad in the old pad housing.