Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

vray preformance probs!

PraizPraiz0 Posts: 0Member
so ive got vray 1.5 advanced for a couple a days for my 3ds max 2010 32 bit, im running on 64 bit but installed 3ds max 32bit, so my pc specs are 6gb of ram, intel i7 860 quadcore, ati radeon hd 5870 1gb.

to get to the point here, i have a interior scene set-up with 250.000 poly's and 2 vraylights.
now my problem is that when i render the scene the memory usage stays very low and it takes more thant 8 hours to render all of it. now here ill post the info about my setting and the scene. and hopefully it's enough info and you can help me out.

http://www.maxupload.com/files/v5ykb9ds1290422213.html

http://www.maxupload.com/files/yGHs21290422472.html

http://www.maxupload.com/files/ty2e1290422554.html

http://www.maxupload.com/files/Ywge0e631290422638.html

as a side note my light have a low subdiv level but the multiplier level is around 200. im not sure why.

thanks for the help!

p.s. sorry for the crappy upload site i used for the pic's
Post edited by Praiz on

• MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Hmm, I'm not very familiar with vray, but you could try and do some "debugging" - i.e. assign a default flat grey material to everything, render, and see if that changes things significantly. If it does, try to find out which material/object is causing this. (That warning about material 23 might be wort looking into)

If it is indeed the lights, try narrowing it down to some of the options. I think a high multiplier should be just fine, as far as I know that shouldn't affect the amount of bounces to calculate or anything...play with the settings of the lights (maybe try with just one lght and disable the other while you are testing) and see what makes it worse and what makes it better.

By the way, what does the subdivision setting for vraylights do?
  • PraizPraiz0 Posts: 0Member
    thanks for the reply, well it seem i adjusted some things in msconfig and it seems to go slightly faster, also my motherboard supports dual channel for ram and not triple channel, and because i have 3x 2 gb i dont profit from dual channel, so ill be buying an extra stick.

default material doesnt help at all, excet for reflective material but that is logic, material 23 is an architectual material that is not supported by vray.

and subdivision for licht and reflection indicates the quality..

i read tutorials where people use 6 lights and still render very quick. while my render goes slower the more light i put in.

thank for the suggestions!
    A real quick fix to see if the dual channel thing will help would be to just remove a stick - don't need to spend money for another stick if it doesn't help :)
    yeah but then i waste money on a stick i dont use, and a extra 2gb never hurt. and to test it i need to put in another cuase if you get one out you will benefit the dual channel but with 2gb ram less, so then i think the differnece will not be so great.

could it be that i use a 64 system but have 32 bit max installed?
    Nah I just meant - take one stick out to see if the dual channel actually does improve render speeds, I'm not suggesting you take it out permanently :p
    And your scene really doesn't look all that complex you should be fine with 4 GB for testing, heck I sold 4 of my 8 gigs RAM years ago cause I didn't need them.

The 32bit thing might actually be it. I think even under a 64 bit OS a 32 bit app will only be able to access ~2 GB of RAM - if your scene is taking up those 2 GB and max has to use the HDD for swapping, more RAM wont speed up the render. And in my experience (which is limited), RAM speed isn't the most important factor when rendering "offline". So yes If you can I would definitly try installing the 64 bit version.

You can probably download the max 2011 demo from autodesk and try to see if it makes any difference before you buy more RAM that doesn't do you any good :)
    yeah well the prob is that i wanted vray but only have it for 32 bit, also in the vray you can set the max amount of memory usage, and i only goes till 3gb. so think thats the prob right there.