Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DDregs - Arty Dumpster

DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
edited October 2010 in Work in Progress #1
It makes me feel twitchy putting this crud in the same section of the website as the dark saber mirror universe and the tovette cosmos, but I need to start generating interest, so I can convince people to contribute art.. what, you didn't see my post in general requests?.. Go.. seek! :cool:

Anyway, I figured I'd have to start building some spaceships if I wanted more interested from the SFM community, so I made some low detail models. The original drawings are taken from an abandoned idea from several years back, all aspects of which happened to be done (and better) by BSG anyway, so there was no need. There had been a number of designs though, so waste not want not. Here are some of the designs for 'interdictors'. The idea was that there would be an interchangeable 'cockpit' section which could act as escape pod, but also give common controls and experience for the user, whilst operating in a variety of different environments, mainly sea, air, space and ground.
85419.jpg
Post edited by Dannage on
Tagged:

• DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    So last weekend, I fired up the ol rendering software and built these versions. I haven't gone to any lengths to put any detail in, but then, technically I'm hoping some wonderful artists may come along and take the designs and make decent artwork out of them.
    84332.jpg84333.jpg84334.jpg84330.jpg84328.jpg
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    I like the designs, although I would have to say the cockpits should at least match the colors of the vehicles they are attached to.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    Yeah, I hadn't really thought of colours much until I built em. Thing is with an interchangeable cockpit, not sure one colour could suit all, without going all colour shifting on ye.... Watching a show on camo the other day they did suggest stark lines just break up a shape and that's all you need to do but then, I softened the colours a bit in the last pic, because I figured nobody would be able to see the shapes, heh heh...
    Back from holiday, hurrah.

Here's some other pics, from my "please do my laundry" thread. I have a sneaking suspicion I'll have to do the work in-house. :)
    84325.jpg84326.jpg83713.jpg
  • FlankerFlanker0 Posts: 0Member
    interesting sketches nice job on the perspectives as well ;)
    Thanks. Fancy trying to do a proper job on any of em? Heh heh...

Here's some more sketches I did on the plane home. Started making copius notes on the birds. The biggest problem I could think of with the birds, was that even if their feet could evolve to become more like hands, then they wouldn't be able to balance and hold stuff... I ended up getting around this problem by combining the race with an ancient sentient technology!

One of the pages also shows a very high level idea of what all the races will be, so I can make them suitably different to each other and I was aiming as far away from the old forehead trek aliens as I could. A) nobody will ever turn this into a tv show, B) CGI these days could make them all in 3D anyway, so meh... :)

Finally, there's a bit more work done on one of the other races, the P'nyn. These guys are xenophobic 4 armed dragon-medusa type creatures with a fast fleet of ships, patrolling the borders of their small corner of space.
    84514.jpg84515.jpg84516.jpg84517.jpg
    In my efforts to get you more interested in helping out, I've decided to put more msfi-fi into it, rather than organis alien races. I know a lot of people on these threads are making guns, and I've tried my hand at making a rifle outline in powerpoint (sue me, I don't have adobe illustrator! :) )

Whilst I'm happy with the overall proportions and the like, would really like someone to do a decent job of coluring it in and adding some texture and detail. If you do so, please remember to let me know how you'd like to be credited! :)
    85052.jpg
    Nobody is going to remember this, because it was years ago I built one and it was also on someone elses 'add stuff to my universe' site mainly... Cannot remember exactly, but I've always liked the design and the general idea. While other people we adding military races, with super fleets and warships all over the place, I introduced a race called the Araf, which I have now expanded to Araffe to make it slightly less a proper word from another language. :)

The Araffe are interested in sitting in the sun, eating, sleeping, drinking... basically lounging around. They didn't particularly want to bother with a space fleet but some aliens turned up and offered them technology in exchange for mining rights on one of their moons... They didn't really care about the moon, but eventually got convinced to have the technology in any case... and then the 'wild ones' out of the race, those mildly curious enough to leave the home planet, eventually learned to travel round in big, tall, bulky ships, slowly put-put-putting around the sector, occasionally trading with other species.... when they could be bothered.

This basic shape drawn in powerpoint, then coloured in using paintshop pro... with my mouse and the wrong hand... I do have a graphics table upstairs, but I thought I'd see what I could do with more basic tools. :)

... Seriously, anyone want to colour in that machine gun for me? :)
    85128.jpg
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    I (for some strange reason) want to take that 2D ship and make it into a Max model. I probably won't do it very soon, but could I if I wanted to at some point? I really like that "sail" on top, if that's what it actually is.
    The strange reason might be my really clandestine and subterfugical hinting that I welcome art from other people. Stuff like "turn this rubbish into decent art!" ... You have to look between the lines to see a message in that, heh heh... :)

It wasn't a sail as such. The ship from the front basically looks like a large ellipse. I don't think I've got the max model, but have some renders from it on my old PC, just need to connect it up, switch it on and take all my old meshes off it. I will have a ship with small sails for one of the other races, and I've got a fair few distinctive design themes for races, hopefully enough to make each stand out on its own.

Over the weekend I did start making a higher detail 3D model of another race's one and only ship type. Will post details of that in here soon, I just wanted to keep on about 2D for a while cos it's a 2D thread after all. :D

But you are more than welcome to take any of these concepts and turn them into proper art for my game. Just remember to state how you'd like to be credited, in case I post anything from it on the internet!
    Thought while I was having my breakfast cereal I'd do you a quick front view.... Yeah, I'm quick. :)

This is the powerpoint bit only though, so no harm in a few elipses and arcs! She doesn't look sleek or sexy, but I was going for originality and I thought it suited their personalities. The Araffe do look a bit like bears, but act more like Pandas! :)
    85130.jpg
    As I mentioned, I had decided to build a couple of scifi ships in 3D and thought this might spark a little more interest from the forum, so here's another alien ship from a race called the Quoop. Quoop are quite small lizard like creatures, about 12 inches long. Rather than big majestic cruisers, they like to roam around in ships they consider pretty big, with a crew of usually 2 or 3.

Biped added to give some sense of scale. :)
    85183.jpg85184.jpg85185.jpg85186.jpg
    Pulled some not well lit pictures of the Araffe ship off my old PC over the weekend and also started building a slightly higher detail version of the space fighter. This is sort of switching the balance to 3D so I will promise to redress this balance over this week.

I have actually been trying out my graphics tablet with a 2D image but I'm far...far...-far-... from happy with it. So I'm thinking of abandoning it and going for something a little easier to start with, since I have probably bitten off more I'm happy to chew for my first ever graphics tablet pic! :D
    85303.jpg85304.jpg85305.jpg85306.jpg
    This is the pic I had started painting. Not sure I'll be improving it if I continue, and I'm thinking I might be better served picking a simpler picture, perhaps a comic picture with less complex shades and colours, in order to learn to use this graphics tablet properly. It's also the first time I've really used layers in paint shop pro, for anything other than enabling a picture element to move around a picture without moving the rest of it.

There were other pictures google brought up searching for girls with guns, but this was about the most family friendly. :thumb:
    85321.jpg