Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DPost-TMP-era patroll ship

[Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
edited October 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Hi. HereA’s my concept of a small Trek patroller for the late 22nd century. Starfleet canA’t consist of explorers exclusively, right?
The idea is that the ship acts as a police or coast guard vessel within the Federation borders. Assisting damaged freighters, chasing of pirates, keeping contact with colony worlds and stuff like that.

It is still quite early in the process and i need to come up with a design for the most important part of any Trek ship, the nacelles^^. Therefore IA’ll appreciate your comments and suggestions. Hope you like my little contribution to this great site.
Post edited by Unknown User on
Tagged:

• FlankerFlanker0 Posts: 0Member
    A very promising start indeed! I also agree that it is not all about the 'big ships' but also tenders, surveyors, patrol vessels and so on.
    About the nacelles... perhaps a similar configuration like the Loknar might work? or perhaps a sort of swept wing design for the pylons?
  • RekkertRekkert4052 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,305Member
    Great start! Love the ship shape so far, reminds me of the Ent era Intrepid type.
    Maybe using pylons that resemble those of the Intrepid but upside down, so that part of the nacelles are below the saucer.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Intenresting start. Let's see where that one goes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Thanks for your kind comments.
    The resemblance to the Intrepid-Type is rather accidental, as my inspiration was the Sabre from First Contact. Allthough both follow the same basic design lineage I guess.
    I shuffled the nacellesA’ postion a few times, but most didnA’t look good to me. For now iA’ll settle with this configuration. Also replaced the torpedo launcher with a sensor assembly, theyA’ll have to find a new place. Maybe on the saucer front.
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Nice, interesting design!

One minor nitpick: Your windows seem to be arranged in straight segments :/
  • IronscytheIronscythe0 Posts: 0Member
    The red could be a little less saturated (or darker) than it is now. It took a couple seconds for my eyes to adjust.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Yep it's looking really nice :thumb: I'm not sure about the nacelles but we'll see. Overall the image has a great TMP feel to it.
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    The nacelles are a bit meh; try to go for a combination between TMP and Ent-C type of designs. I've whipped up a sketch which I can post later on the day, with the main feature being a single nacelle half-integrated to the underside of the ship to balance out the shape. Give it a though before I post it up ;)
  • Robert HarrisonRobert Harrison1 Posts: 16Member
    I do like this ship... it is much like the Sabre class, which i love, but you have given a very nice take on it. No idea if you took the Sabre and made it your own but it is a very good ship...
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    No visible nav deflector. Just sayin'.
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    BorgMan wrote: »
    The nacelles are a bit meh; try to go for a combination between TMP and Ent-C type of designs. I've whipped up a sketch which I can post later on the day, with the main feature being a single nacelle half-integrated to the underside of the ship to balance out the shape. Give it a though before I post it up ;)

I kinda like the nacelles. Makes it seem more like the movie era rather than a TNG throw-away. Although the pylons look a bit thin. For the size of this ship, you're looking at less than a meter for the thickness, which would make the nacelles hard to service from inside the ship, as well as not very structurally sound. The Constitution class had room enough to have a Jeffries tube running up inside of it. Even the NX Enterprise had enough room to fit at least one person at a time up through the pylon.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    Reliant didn't have a huge blue nav deflector/sensor dish, so that's fine (Justicar added one to his Avenger BTW)

I'm thinking this asks for a good Akyazi/Loknar nacelle-pylon treatment, but maybe that is too obvious. How about a thin, flat hull extension with over under nacelles, or the top nacelle and a bottom mast/weapon emplacement?

The side view of the hull has a great profile that doesn't need to be obscured..
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Hellsgate wrote: »
    No visible nav deflector. Just sayin'.

And your point would be?
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    The only thing I don't like about certain TMP-era ships is that some have no obvious nav deflector and somehow don't get gored by micrometeorites at the high impulse / warp threshold.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    :rolleyes:
    And so? The E-D has a secondary in the saucer that looks like a set of three windows, likely, those ships have the same.