Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DNX-01 as a "side project."

ChikanChikan0 Posts: 0Member
edited October 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Hey guys!

Figured I might as well post this up since it started developing into more than just a background prop. :lol:

Originally, I was just gonna make a low-poly, low-detail version to throw in the background for renders with my Andorian ship.. But the more I worked on this, the more detail I added.. Before I knew it, I had added pretty much everything except textures. So I figured, to heck with it, might as well keep going. :D

The saucer is more or less finished at this point, aside from tweaking a few things here & there as I notice them. Currently I'm working on the detailing of the catamarans. The rest is still just blocked out placeholders for the time being. Let me know what you guys think.

(Known issue: Gridlines on the underside of the saucer do not match the official model. Plan to correct that eventually)
85111.jpg
85112.jpg
85113.jpg
Post edited by Chikan on
Tagged:

• madman1701amadman1701a339 Posts: 366Member
    Nice. Haven't seen someone build one of these, in a while.

I bet no one would have noticed about the gridlines, if you hadn't said anything. :)
  • ChikanChikan0 Posts: 0Member
    Meh, hard to say... Some peeps have extremely keen eyes for that sort of variation. :lol:

Time for me to head out, so here's where she ended up for today.
    85114.jpg85115.jpg
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that those nacelles aren't the final product. Am I right?:lol:

I'd be careful with those blue hues, if I were you. Striking though they may be, a little goes a long way on a starship's hull. If you dull them out a bit, or brighten the hue more towards white, you'll end up with a stronger finished product.
    LOL Yea, those are just placeholder nacelles.

I'll try lightening up the glowy bits a tad as well. I still need to add a texture to the impulse glow anyway, but that'll probably wait until I actually start texturing the whole thing.
    Then again... There's no time like the present. :lol:

Couple minor tweaks, added a few windows I had missed, and changed those glows a bit. Let me know if this is better. :cool:
    85123.jpg
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    Better, but I would suggest a little whiter, and tone down the overall glow of the two parts on the catamarans. Those should only glow a little, in my opinion.

Take a look at the colors on this image. They got the coloring and hue right, just not the amount of glow.;)
    Hmm.. Well, I think I've spent enough time playin with the glows for the moment. Plenty of time to tweak those later, after the modeling is done. :lol:

As a comparison though, here's the most current render, compared to a screenshot from the show. Aside from needing to brighten the impulse glows up a bit, I think I'm pretty close on the glows now.
    85129.jpg
    Almost time to start the texturing. :rolleyes::argh:
    85132.jpg85133.jpg
  • madman1701amadman1701a339 Posts: 366Member
    Looks good. :)

You're fast, too. :)