Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3Das yet unnamed star trek ship

walpurgiswalpurgis181 Posts: 0Member
edited October 2010 in Work in Progress #1
this is a ship I pretty much knocked up in like 2 hours, It doesn't have a bridge or any kind of hull plating yet, but I like the general shape of it thus far. critiques welcome:)
85056.png
85057.png
Post edited by walpurgis on
Tagged:

• walpurgiswalpurgis181 Posts: 0Member
    Filler Filler Filler
    85058.png85059.png
  • James MidsenJames Midsen62 Posts: 0Member
    If I may ask, what program are you using?
    I like the shape. It's quite different. The nacelles seem a little small, but that might just be because I'm biased for larger, more overpowered nacelles. What type of vessel is it? Cruiser, tactical, science, diplomatic?
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    If I may ask, what program are you using?
    I like the shape. It's quite different. The nacelles seem a little small, but that might just be because I'm biased for larger, more overpowered nacelles. What type of vessel is it? Cruiser, tactical, science, diplomatic?

It's probably Google Sketchup.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    I'd say so, too.

As per the ship: Nice work, I like it.
    oldmangreg wrote: »
    It's probably Google Sketchup.

yes, I am using Google Sketchup 7

@ James Midsen I kind of dislike the "hot rodding" mentality that Bigger=Better, so when I'm not working on the ss. Robert Goddard I tend to use nacelles that are smaller than usual, also, i dont know what kind of ship this will become, its kind of accidental, I was actually trying to work out a new hull design for the Goddard and it just kind of turned into this.
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    I say if you reduce the saucer size by about 20% it should look a bit better. Maybe even close to 30% . . .

Also, that sloping area that connects the saucer to the secondary hull on either side should probably be flushed up with the saucer itself. Would help the blending of the two hulls to be smoother.
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    I agree with Locke: flush up that primary and secondary hull connection and reduce the saucer size. If you're busy with making it smaller, do yourself a favor and up the segmet count of your base circle; right now it's way too segmented, which will result in ugly pictures once you're all done.

Perhaps increase the size of the nacelles by 5%, because while I agree that bigger isn't always better, it would appear to me that the shape of this ship warrants bigger ones...

[EDIT] Did you use the basic shape of your secondary hull (which would benefit from a higher segment count as well!) for your nacelles? They look very similar...
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    Good start but I suggest increasing the number of segments as borgman said.
    BorgMan wrote: »
    I agree with Locke: flush up that primary and secondary hull connection and reduce the saucer size. If you're busy with making it smaller, do yourself a favor and up the segment count of your base circle; right now it's way too segmented, which will result in ugly pictures once you're all done.

Perhaps increase the size of the nacelles by 5%, because while I agree that bigger isn't always better, it would appear to me that the shape of this ship warrants bigger ones...

[EDIT] Did you use the basic shape of your secondary hull (which would benefit from a higher segment count as well!) for your nacelles? They look very similar...

firstly, I never have been able to figure out how to increase the number of segment in the circles, I think that maybe only SU Pro has that function. I could probably do it manually, but thus far I haven't figured out how to do this yet.
    aaand, secondly, no, I did not use the same base shape but the similarity was intentional:D

however, taking a second look at it, maybe the saucer could be a bit smaller...
    yeah, Ill see what i can do.
  • kippakippa0 Posts: 0Member
    It reminds me slightly of Voyager. I quite like the overall design and look forward to seeing more on this thread. :-)
    update: not much to see but its got a bridge now, and I added this spine thingamajig, not sure its gonna stay but I like thee way it looks, also, I am starting to figure out how to make window cutouts.
    85071.png85072.png
    FillerFillerFiller
    85073.png85074.png
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    Tchaikovsky-Class frigate
    NX 63200

Launched: 1321 Hours, 13 September 2377

Designed as an intermediary between the Intrepid-Class and the illusiory Dauntless-Class, a multi-purpose cultural observation/science & coast guard style vessel. Modestly armed and designed to penetrate / navigate atmospheres for planetfall & repairs or to perform duties as a mobile headquarters as necessary. Greatly reduced tactical profile to increase agility in the event of evasive maneuvers or pursuits. Designed to be deployed with much fewer critically-necessary crew-persons to reduce potential loss of life while conducting the UFP's newest scheduled three year missions with the Alpha Quadrant in turbulence since Romulus' home system was destroyed.
    Hellsgate wrote: »
    Tchaikovsky-Class frigate

*blinks*
    HUH? was ist das? you say my Beooo-tiful warship should be named after a RUSSIAN CLASSICAL COMPOSER??!!?!
    :mad::p
    no, seriously, I have absolutely nothing in mind for this ship so if you would like to create a backstory for it, then "take it away, jack!". only, keep in mind that the final product may look absolutely nothing like this, and in fact, it may never be finished at all!

also, I thought that the Romulus system's destruction was not cannon in the rest of the ST multiverse, only STXI?
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    walpurgis wrote: »
    *blinks*
    HUH? was ist das? you say my Beooo-tiful warship should be named after a RUSSIAN CLASSICAL COMPOSER??!!?!
    :mad::p
    no, seriously, I have absolutely nothing in mind for this ship so if you would like to create a backstory for it, then "take it away, jack!". only, keep in mind that the final product may look absolutely nothing like this, and in fact, it may never be finished at all!

also, I thought that the Romulus system's destruction was not cannon in the rest of the ST multiverse, only STXI?

well it uses the prime spock, so any event that occured there is considered canon. the alternate reality part is not canon of course
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Gah, romulans are awesome, and they were enough of a minority before their homeworld got destroyed...which they really didn't deserve just so a plotline for a movie could be vaguely justified.

If they actually wanted to, they could've found a different reason for a tattooed guy to be angry at the federation and travel back in time to destroy it. Besides, while he was already there in the past he could've taken measures to prevent the destruction of Romulus, like found a secret society tasked with averting the nova in 150 years.
    Killing the only people he knows are capable of saving Romulus seems rather stupid. And after 25 years of waiting, you'd think the initial rage would have blown over.

I choose to not consider that canon. :p
    Well, perhaps you should take a look at the tutorials link in my sig if you don't know how to increase your segment count; I think you will find more in there that could help you out...
  • Bmused55Bmused55177 Posts: 487Member
    It looks very Dominion based in its present form. The nacelles and pylons look as though they have been lifted straight off of a Dominion battleship.
    Bmused55 wrote: »
    It looks very Dominion based in its present form. The nacelles and pylons look as though they have been lifted straight off of a Dominion battleship.

I can see where you're coming from with the nacelles but the pylons only look Jem'Hadar in that they point forward and the primary/secondary hull design is pretty close to the rest of Starfleet's "canon" design

@BorgMan, I have looked at your tutorial before posting this but I either dont understand it or there's something wrong with my version of sketchup or your tutorial is Pro-specific
    anyhow, I have figured out how to do it manually so its pretty much a moot point

heres a couple of pictures of the new primary hull.Obviously, its a pretty rough block but I'd like to Know what y'all think
    85116.png85117.png85118.png
    Also, i came up with an Idea for a ship that is essentially a warp nacelle with a M/AM reactor and some living space wrapped around it, a kind of fast courier that can outrun anything that it cant outgun (which is nearly anything:lol: ) Im using the working name SS Atalanta I think Im going to have to re-size the Phaser strips but here are some pics
    85119.png85120.png85121.png
  • NightShadowNightShadow10 Posts: 0Member
    #1 reason why the nacelles should be bigger: warp nacelles generate a warp field around the ship. Warp dynamics dictactes that the nacelles should be placed and of a size which will provide the overall ship with the best coverage for said field. Otherwise, the warp field will "pop" and generally cause significant amounts of mayhem in Engineering. Just a point.
    I like the size of the nacelles and unless you can come up with a better reason for me to compromise my artistic vision than "Warp Field Dynamics" you can piss off! *frumpy face, crosses arm defensively* :mad::p

no, seriously, the nacelles are likely to remain this size.

*smarmily* however, If it makes you feel better, we can just say that its from further on in the future than STX:D:p
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    I choose to not consider that canon.

That's akin to saying "I don't like geometry, so I'm not considering it mathematics." Either all the movies are canon, or none of them can be. Otherwise, "canon" is whatever you feel is real in whatever universe you're discussing. So if I feel that everything else isn't canon, and STXI is, I can be right as well.
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    The size of the nacelles should be just fine, voyager had comparatively small nacelles as well, and was one of the fastest ships.
    LockeFP wrote: »
    That's akin to saying "I don't like geometry, so I'm not considering it mathematics." Either all the movies are canon, or none of them can be. Otherwise, "canon" is whatever you feel is real in whatever universe you're discussing. So if I feel that everything else isn't canon, and STXI is, I can be right as well.

Its more like saying "I don't like what abrams has done with star trek, story wise, so I'll ignore it." :p
  • Soran77Soran770 Posts: 0Member
    Wal,

All you need to do in sketchup 7 free is create a circle, click the edge so the outline highlights blue, then right click and choose entity info, from there you can increase the segment number, I recommend a segment count of 48 that way it is almost seamless and wont kill your proccessor during the render phase.
    I did it! the problem was that I was selecting the face as well as the lines, sorry I was so incredibly thick-headed

also: Atalanta- Comments? (aside from increasing the number of segments in the base circle)
  • Soran77Soran770 Posts: 0Member
    walpurgis wrote: »
    I did it! the problem was that I was selecting the face as well as the lines, sorry I was so incredibly thick-headed

Well I had that trouble when I first started sketchup, but you'll find that sketchup free is a very powerful modeling tool, you only get a few more exporters and such in pro.
    this is my idea for the reactor setup for the Atalanta
    there is electrical generation equipment because I dont like how ST ships use plasma to power everything and then random consoles blow up everywhere across the ship from a single direct hit
    85140.png85141.png
    updates for unnamed ship
    85142.png85143.png85144.png85145.png
    Those lines you created are all on the borders of faces. First of all, when you render your ship in a program like Kerkythea right now, your saucer will look faceted instead of smooth; trust me, you don't want that. Second: those lines, which I take it are shield grids, won't show up after a render because to the program, they're just edges instead of graphics. Creating double lines and filling them up with a darker color than your hull will fix that.