Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DJet flyer

YwanderYwander0 Posts: 0Member
edited October 2010 in Work in Progress #1
So thereA’s been a time where I was a bit out it. Kind of a creative meltdown. :( Thought IA’d start up the olA’ brain farts nice A‘n easy with a simple SketchUp design IA’d come up with after reading NausicA?a and playing some Crimson Skies.

This is supposed to become a single-seater jetfighter. Think Crimson Skies set in the fifties. First step is to create the hull & tail boom to get a feel for the proportions. IA’m a little twitchy, havenA’t touched SU for almost a year now.:o

First image is just to make the thread look more interesting from the outside :p
83926.jpg
83100.jpg
Post edited by Ywander on
Tagged:

• YwanderYwander0 Posts: 0Member
    Lots of tweaking the tail & added some details while I was at it. Also made the first shape of the wing, again, just a rough shape to play around with the overall look & feel of the design. Quite happy with how my SU skills came back to me. As much trouble as the tail gave me, as easy did the wings go. Oh wellA…
    83098.jpg83099.jpg
  • Marian87Marian87171 Posts: 0Member
    Nice to see you're back on the horse :p.
    That's a good start and looks interesting. Hope to see more :)
  • Dr.SleepDr.Sleep0 Posts: 0Member
    Really interesting design, keep going :D
    I've finished with the wings, added details and guns before returning to the tail. Enlarged the vertical satbilizer and lifted the whole thing a bit. Too bad it was too late to fix the smoothing errors that occurred... :mad:

Now, it's giving me a headache. I'll fix it later.
    83159.jpg83160.jpg83161.jpg
    I added hull plating and fuel vents to the wing tips. Also tried doing the tail boom from scratch, but couldn't make it fit anymore. At last I tried to fix the old one, with mixed results. Traded one smoothing error for another which is less obvious.

Completely forgot time while doing the cockpit... whoops. Decided to do the instruments with textures iso modelling all the little dials & switches and things.

Any comments or critiques are welcome, folks!
    83215.jpg83216.jpg83217.jpg
  • JWWrightJWWright171 Posts: 0Member
    H aha! It does look like the Goblin, good call. This is a very groovy design, will it have shiny aluminum plating?
    ?! I never even heard of that XF-85 Goblin thing, but you're right, it does look a like it! Tsk, maybe on some subconscious level...

Anyhoo, it will have shiny aluminium plating, although Sketchup doesn't do shiny. It'll be a nice model to try rendering it in the VRay for Sketchup I just got a hold of...
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    I don't think it's a bad thing, you said you were going for a 1950s look so that would pretty much endorse your work
    Not much news, but I did some exterior detialing & started working on the landing gear.
    83442.jpg83443.jpg
  • Robert HarrisonRobert Harrison1 Posts: 16Member
    That is a very nice fighter, you got a era for it?
    Thank! It's supposed to be a first generation (subsonic) jet, late forties, early fifties. I took a lot of inspiration of the early Russian jets, although there are loads of other features taken from other planes & era's. At first it was going to be primarily science fantasy, but it doesn't really show.
    HavenA’t been able to do much work due to the fact that my house is overrun with cute Swedish girls and theyA’ve set up camp in the computer room. :o But at least I managed to finish the landing gear! :p

The odd quadracycle configuration is intentional for reasons explained only when the whole thingA’s finished.:confused:
    83594.jpg
    Finally some progress after many days of not being able to dodge social responsibilities. I finished up the landing gear without putting too much detail in the landing gear bays and started detailing the engine. I didnA’t manage to get the fan section exactly as I imagined it,m so I left it like this after a couple of tries.:rolleyes:

I figure IA’m about half way with the engine. After that itA’s finishing the canopy, creating some more A‘optionalA’ parts (gun pods & RATO boosters), a couple of different liveries and I want to create a hangar maintenance scene. That ough to keep me busy for some time to come :o
    83761.jpg83762.jpg83763.jpg
    Finally, the basic model is finished! The cockpit, the landing gear and the engine are all done. IA’m very pleased with the engine and how it fills up the hull around the cockpit. You donA’t see any of the details on the outside, but I made for a hangar scene IA’m planning. That, some gun- and RATO pods and the color schemes are the A‘onlyA’ things left to do. Should keep me busy for a few hours still, I imagineA…

I also included a simple mock up of the plane in flight to get an idea of how it'd look up in the blue.
    83927.jpg83926.jpg
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    Nice, though you do know that every line that is just that -a line- won't show up when you render her, right? Lines need to have dimensions before they show up in renderers...
  • blackmambablackmamba0 Posts: 0Member
    a verry nice fighter like it.
    i can`t wait to see the end product of
    this project.
    Woops, I got a bit distracted with the EVE online design a starship competition over at DeviantArt and forgot to post this. Must be close to necro-posting by now. :devil:

Sooooooo, here the first end result of my little Dutch (alternate history) fighter! Paintscheme of the aircraft are true to the Royal Dutch Airforce markings at that time.

There's still a hangar maintenance scene in the making, I'll show that later.

Enjoy!
    85100.jpg
  • StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    I like the "retro" feeling of this little craft a lot. Also, in-depth modelling with internal component is close to what I normally do :) Great model !

P.S. - Will there be any flying battleships? :D