Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DThe Horizon Class: A Babylon 5 Inspired Starship

InfinitySquaredInfinitySquared171 Posts: 0Member
edited October 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Right. So I've been looking at some Bab5 pics recently, but haven't watched the shows yet. I decided to make a model that mimics the look of the Omega, but adds in some of my own elements.

So I present to you:
29kwgzn.jpg
11iokf6.jpg
2zp6p3c.jpg
2m4qefl.jpg

The Horizon Class Destroyer!
Inspired by the Omega, and the Warlock.

I may follow up with more ships later on.
Post edited by InfinitySquared on
Tagged:

• LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    Hmmm, interesting . . . although to get a real idea of what the designers actually had in mind for the Omega, you should actually watch the shows. It makes more sense when you see the motion of the ship.

In regards to your ship: is the part coming off the front some sort of high-powered cannon? Or perhaps a catapult for fighters? I only ask because there was never anything similar in the shows or movies, and they didn't exactly need them. Particle weapons came along pretty quick that negated the need for high-velocity projectile weapons along about the third or fourth season. Of course, don't let that stop you . . . could be a myriad of different things. High-powered pulse cannon?
  • srylatsrylat0 Posts: 0Member
    Actually the Warlock class has that boom off the front, but I'm not certain as to what it is used for either.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warlock_class_destroyer
    It was larger than the Omega, and one source I read says the Warlock employed stolen artificial gravity technology thus negating the need for a rotating section like in the Omega. That I guess is up to conjecture on the stolen tech. As for the long front cannon-like thing, probably launch/retrieval for all the Starfuries they can carry. Would be kind of a cool mass-driver weapon though. Which the Centauri used against the Narn in their war.

B5 was probably my favorite sci-fi show. Would love to see more revamped ideas of their ships. Only two critiques I have right now is:
    1) It is hard to see the detail with the black background with such a dark shade vessel.
    2) Maybe tone down the intensity of the engines or adjust the number of rendering passes or the radiosity/caustics. If I remember right, the original designers were using Lightwave and ended up using luminosity mapping to get the lighting details in the engine thrusters.
  • InfinitySquaredInfinitySquared171 Posts: 0Member
    I designed the Horizon to have two counter-rotating sections, as the one artificial gravity section of the Omega didn't sit right with me. And the boom on the Horizon is a cannon of sorts.
    Thanks for the critiques, I'll see if I can get some clay renders and fixed engine lights up by the end of the day.

ED: I also forgot to say that the bow cannon is removable, I'm going to make up meshes for a command section and somesuch.
  • AardwolfAardwolf171 Posts: 82Member
    Looks cool... Aesthetically, it's got a bit of Halo UNSC feel to it.

Edit: maybe that's just the darkness of the metal, though?
    Hehe, thanks! I'll lighten the metal a bit, if that's what you imply.
    Right, so I've been experimenting a bit with a combination of procedurals and generic textures with UVW mapping. Here's my latest results:
    357pw0z.jpg
    2q1b8ew.jpg
    And a view of the UVW:
    dw27vk.jpg
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Impressive work here, I really like it.
    Hehe, thanks.
    And on an offtopic note, how do I get one of those image icons to show up beside my post?
  • BrianSzepBrianSzep187 Posts: 115Member
    And on an offtopic note, how do I get one of those image icons to show up beside my post?

To get images to show up you have to upload an image via the manage attachments.

By-the-way, looks really good.

Brian
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    gunssssssssssssss wanna see the gunsssssssss great work
    Meanwhile: I be experiment with color strips! Turrets and an action shot will be coming soon.

op4dms.jpg
    2sbtzxg.jpg
  • AardwolfAardwolf171 Posts: 82Member
    Actually I was cool with the UNSC feel. But you don't need to cater to a single person's comment -- occasionally you'll run into what just happened, where you ended up doing the opposite thinking the commenter meant something they didn't!

And the attachment has to be the first attachment to the first post, IIRC.