Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D"Challenger"

Dennis BaileyDennis Bailey407 Posts: 54Member
edited September 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Every time I near the end of one of these projects I think of that cliche aphorism about art being "abandoned, but never finished."
Well, after adding a couple more textures and tweaking the lights some more, sometime in the next 24 hours I hope to abandon this guy.
Until then I guess it remains a work in progress.

attachment.php?attachmentid=84864&d=1283820186

attachment.php?attachmentid=84865&d=1283820186

attachment.php?attachmentid=84866&d=1283820205

attachment.php?attachmentid=84868&d=1283820244

attachment.php?attachmentid=84867&d=1283820205

attachment.php?attachmentid=84869&d=1283820299

attachment.php?attachmentid=84870&d=1283820342
Post edited by Dennis Bailey on
Tagged:

• oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    I love how you combined the Ryan church style with the TMP style.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • Dennis BaileyDennis Bailey407 Posts: 54Member
    There are a lot of little things in the Church version that really reach back to TOS in a nice way, as well as picking up stuff from just about every Trek ship (the underside of the engineering hull reminds me, at least, of the Excelsior). Those engines on the "JJPrise" seem to update the TOS nacelles while bypassing all of the later versions. So I particularly like them - the nacelles were the one aspect of the TMP ship that I never really cared for.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    i kinda liked the TMP connie the best - the JJPrise is just to different, i like the ship, but it doesnt feel the same way.
    But i love what youve done - aweseom job, dennis!
    Thanks.

I'm most fond of the TOS ship, but like the proportions of the TMP ship somewhat better - the saucer's a bit wider, engineering hull a little heavier...and of course the detailing is great. But I've always liked the cylindrical engines with the globes on the end the best.
  • EndeavourEndeavour331 Posts: 0Member
    Oh, very nifty. Any chance we could get some orthos?
    Yeah, in a few days when I finish the texturing I'll post some.
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    This looks very nice.
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,283Member
    Glad to see you still haven't lost the drive to build models despite having spent so much time talking the ears off a bunch of poor helpless actors (Nick & Co). ;)
    I just posted a couple of large orthos in my album over here:

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/album.php?albumid=187

I haven't figured out yet how to shrink these things down/post thumbnails so I don't want to stretch the table here.
  • Bell'OrsoBell'Orso331 Posts: 93Member
    Whoa, that is one sweet ship! Cool mixture of TMP and JJ parts. Say, are you the creator of another Connie variant, the Concord(e)? If so I'm sure I speak for many if not everyone on here when I say that I'd love to see that one put into a scene again as well, once this project is finished. Anyway, can't wait for updates! :)
  • NightShadowNightShadow10 Posts: 0Member
    Once more you manage to create a pretty definitive model of what a Connie ought to look like. I've still got your old TMP Enterprise- with the exception of a few missing faces, she's held up pretty well over the years. Keep doing what you do and we'll be more than happy to drool over it.
    Thanks.

I'm thinking about putting together an update kit for the second version I did of that TMP ship - not a lot to it, but there are a couple of major mesh errors that I wince at when I see it used in certain close-up scenes.

Yeah, I did the Concord...sometimes I think I should go back and remodel things like that and the Dawnstar, because I was very new at this when I did them. Probably never will, though.
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    Its great to finally watch one of your wip threads, i've seen alot of your finished work, but never one's in progress, will be watching with anticipation
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    Dennis! You're alive! So good to hear from you again, and see what you've been working on. A few thoughts:

1. Find a way to submit this design to JJ Abrams and the present "Trek" torch-bearers immediately! There are aspects of Ryan Church's 2009 Enterprise that I liked, but overall I think it looked unbalanced and a bit overblown. You took the best aspects of his version, as well as the TOS and TMP versions, scaled them and put them together perfectly. This ship just screams "Star Trek." Those guys NEED to see this.

2. When you finally "abandon" the model, please upload it to the Downloads section here in as many formats as possible so everyone here can play with it. Why should you get to have all the fun? :)

This looks great, Dennis. As usual, fantastic work.
  • kippakippa0 Posts: 0Member
    The model looks very beautiful. Nicely done. :-)
    Thanks.

Buckaroohawk, I'm flattered but I'm a big fan of the new ship myself - I don't think they can learn anything from me. My version does give me comfort, though, because I tried to play up the aspects of the JJPrise that most resemble the TOS ship; if other people like it for that reason as well, I'm gratified. :)

Now I have to move on to doing some work for the Starship Intrepid folks and - oh yeah - some work on Polaris. :)
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice Plug :P hehe
    It's what I do. ;)
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks.

Buckaroohawk, I'm flattered but I'm a big fan of the new ship myself - I don't think they can learn anything from me. My version does give me comfort, though, because I tried to play up the aspects of the JJPrise that most resemble the TOS ship; if other people like it for that reason as well, I'm gratified. :)

There are aspects of the Trek '09 Enterprise I like, too, but the more I look at it the more "off" it seems somehow. Its sudden "growth spurt" that occurred within the movie bothered the hell out of me as well. I'm not knocking Ryan Church's work, I just think you've got a better handle on the aesthetics of what a modern Trek ship could (or should) look like. To put it in a nutshell, I like your stuff better.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    I like this hybrid. This is more a bridge with JJ-to TMP, his inspiration. I wonder if a TOS version would be done...