Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMPS Modular Space Platform

alleyviperalleyviper0 Posts: 0Member
edited September 2010 in Work in Progress #1
MSP Modular Space Platform

In a previous WIP I set out to create a more realistic space sandbox for my story world. Sadly, I got side tracked and began building a dropship that was further towards the Fiction of Science Fiction. The original intent was to build a fleet of vessels starting with the most basic need of space exploration, surface to orbit transfer of payload.
In this WIP I will stick to my original plan; more science in my scifi.. I'm calling this the MSP Project. I will design a space platform that is completely modular not only in function but also within sketchup (my 3d program). All the parts will make up a massive component library. The parts will then be put together into space capsules which themselves will be components and in turn can be put together to form a range of space platforms from space stations to deep space exploration vessels. All the modules will be able to be launched into space via rocket launch vehicles or space shuttle like vessels. Once in space they can be easily interconnected and placed in service. I will start with the airlock module.

***Will have most recent pic here***
84267.jpg
Post edited by alleyviper on
Tagged:

• alleyviperalleyviper0 Posts: 0Member
    The airlock will be a simple module with air tight doors at either end. One side will connect to another module and the other side will have the docking mechanisms and be otherwise open for EVA. To start with I created the doors which are a component that will be used in many of the modules.
    The air tight doors will plug an opening about 4 feet in diameter. The doors are designed to open in to the module and will not open if the pressure on the outside is less then that on the inside. Opening the doors is simple but still must be done manually (Automation equals more weight). A centrally located handle serves to unlock and open the doors. From the outside this handle must be pushed and turned while from the inside it must be pulled and turned to unlock and open. A small 7" diameter porthole window allows crew to observe docking operations.

47289_148133401875441_100000363466169_318890_1824643_n.jpg
    L.I.M.B.S. Low Inpact Module Berthing System shown here in active mode.

45642_148339175188197_100000363466169_320157_310638_n.jpg
    Some more detail on the LIMBS as well as showing them in the stored position.

44848_148355805186534_100000363466169_320397_752981_n.jpg
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Very cool docking thingy!
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    Oh wow! Great minds think alike! I built some docking ports for my Blue Gemini project and they look very similar. I based them on NASA's Low Impact Docking System and the Common Berthing Mechanism. I even named the larger device the Low Impact Module Berthing System. :) Looks pretty cool.
    Mikey-B wrote: »
    Oh wow! Great minds think alike! I built some docking ports for my Blue Gemini project and they look very similar. I based them on NASA's Low Impact Docking System and the Common Berthing Mechanism. I even named the larger device the Low Impact Module Berthing System. :) Looks pretty cool.

Holy crap Mikey! I was doing research on the internet to see what kind of docking systems Nasa was developing or using to try and imagine what the future varients would look like. I thought that the low impact module berthing system was an actual Nasa design! So, when I did a search for images of berthing systems/space docking etc I came across your pics. Thinking it was someone's model of a real design I incorporated it. I really thought there was an actual Nasa design out there called a LIMBS. I didn't want the old school probe and drogue design and the LIMBS looked like the future way to go. I really hope this doesn't mean I stole your design bro, I worked really hard on it.
    Crap, I really thought the LIMBS was a real Nasa design. After doing tons of research on how space docking works, I google image searched for images of the most modern looking designs. Usually I save the images right to my drive and reference them later when I get stuck. Here's some of the images I had referenced (The ones I used the most and can remember what keyword I used to find them).

ISS-camera-diagram-EN.001.jpg
    cbm1.jpg
    RX57M-degroh-f1.jpg
    DockingPorts.jpg

I knew about the low impact docking system. In your pic it says low impact module berthing system which I thought sounded more like what I needed since I'm working with modules so VOILA, I'm an idiot that thought your model was a Nasa design. Kudos to you I guess. My design is basicly just an ILIDS system but it allows for fluid transfers between modules like a Berthing system without using the much larger outter ring. My fluid exchange mechanisms are built into the ring not sitting between them. So ILIDS +berthing system, here's a model some Nasa fan made of a system that says LIMBS, makes sense to me, I'm an idiot.
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    Like I said, no worries. LIDS is real and will be used on Orion. ILIDS is a work of fiction that combines the real-world LIDS with the Russian APAS (specifically the docking latches and fluid transfer pipes that go through the hard dock ring)- I also liked how it sounded like "eyelids." LIMBS is also a work of fiction, as is the ABM, which I made because I'm lazy and don't want to deal with an active and passive CBM.
    LOL, my thoughts exactly. I don't want to deal with the probe and drogue, I just wanted a universal docking mechanism.
    Update on my docking ring. Thanks to a quick lesson from Mikey and a great PDF found here http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/news/ISS_Reference_Guide.html I have made some changes. You can call this a LIDS section now Low Impact Docking System. Also, took out the part that allows transfering fluids. Thanks for the help. BTW, just testing materials in my renderer. Tired of clay looking renders.

45968_148627945159320_100000363466169_321890_2128092_n.jpg
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    Very nicely modeled!
    After doing several test renders I found that my 96 segment circles were showing up as obvious flat surfaces. Basicly I had to remodel alot of this so I could change the larger circles to 300 segments. Also added some more detail, reworked the guide bars, and corrected a fiew mistakes. Ready to move on to an actual module now.

47279_149652355056879_100000363466169_326570_6948408_n.jpg
    Update on the first module. Testing out some greebs.

41157_150168948338553_100000363466169_329576_7856909_n.jpg
    I decided to chop this up a little bit more since I want every peice of this model to act as a component for a large library. This is an example of some simple skin added, mostly just as build marks. Each skin component is a 2 feet long 45 degree pie peice of the full 8 feet diameter module. I can connect them in a number of variations to make an 8 feet diameter module as long as I want with whatever base skin I want. Later I will make other components for hand grips, piping, exhaust ports, tool boxes, more decorative panels, and the like that I can snap together to make a module that serves whichever purpose is needed.
    The 8' modules will be used for things like docking appendages, nodes, and airlock parts. I also plan a standard 12' diameter module to be used for things like command, service, habitation, spinning sections, and utility. I guess I could go as big as I want, but for now I am only going as big as the 12' modules as I have a delivery vessel in mind with a cargo bay not much larger then 12' in diameter.
    47869_150412824980832_100000363466169_330740_5640330_n.jpg
    Here is an example of some components assembled. I have tons more to do so I can have tons of little details. Basicly I have multiple 45 degree 2 foot long segment components that can be put together in countless configurations. Then, many different panel components that can go on top of that skin in countless configurations. Finally, many whosits and whatsits that can be added to give several functions, in this case I only have one whosit, the Payload Data Grapple fixture. Future whosits not modeled yet will be things like vents, piping, wire bundels, tool boxes, windows, fixtures and the like.
    This may look simple for those who use more powerful modeling software. I think most sketchup users can attest to the fact that adding detail on curved surfaces with this program is difficult, especially if you want it seemless. Each full circle is 600 segments, each segment 1/2 inch long. Tiring.

61698_152167674805347_100000363466169_338967_6447302_n.jpg