Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DGetting to grips with Blender: Dreadnought

YIIMMYIIMM179 Posts: 96Member
edited August 2010 in Work in Progress #1
I've been using Google Sketchup, on and off, for about 5 years now and never got round to moving on to any of the more conventional modelling programmes, I tried learning Blender maybe two or three times before each time giving up.

Over the past week, though, it's finally stuck :)

I've been tinkering around a bit, learning how to model particular shapes, but this is the first Blender file I've actually saved; it's a ship based on those found in a small, online space combat game called DarkSpace.

Here's a selection of renders as I've been going along, I've been making moderate changes to the design on the way.

Be glad to know what you guys think :)

bGrvJl.jpg

F8mU3l.jpg

7PWWGl.jpg

6HUUCl.jpg

KZpexl.jpg
83705.jpg
Post edited by YIIMM on
Tagged:

• BrianSzepBrianSzep187 Posts: 115Member
    Hi,

There is some crinkling in the rear fin part. Otherwise looks great. Are you using subsurf? Also, what version of Blender are you using?

Brian
  • YIIMMYIIMM179 Posts: 96Member

The tapering of the rear was done a bit haphazardly and I can't seem to remove the slight creasing so I'm going to go over it again, I think.

Each oject is subdivided twice and I'm using Blender 2.49 (I actually got the gist of Blender learning on 2.52 but then switched to the stable release due to 2.5 still missing some functionality).

Edit: Fixed up the rear a bit better, remodeled the ventral engines and started adding some additional structures.

tP2awl.jpg
    NqFQyl.jpg
    rI4K3l.jpg
  • Dr.SleepDr.Sleep0 Posts: 0Member
    looks fracking great! :D
  • fluxfirefluxfire181 Posts: 604Member
    I rather like this design its nice to know i am not the only one that comes up with crazyness :D It is a great start can't wait to see where you take this one
    Thanks a lot for the encouragement :)

I'm Now starting add a few engine details. I might well alter the layout a few times, but this is the general idea.

p1NcTl.jpg
    K9Alll.jpg
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    Original. Great side view as well.
    Cheers :)

Small update, just started adding some floating panels and messing around with texture settings.

kTP8Vl.jpg
    KBMahl.jpg
    It's been a few days since I did any work on this (I've had a busy week).

Added the hangar bay doors and some greebling just for the hell of it.
    I've now finished the modelling part and I'm in the process of UV-mapping and texturing, then I'll do some after-effects stuff (like engine glow) and she'll be more or less done :)

kgJMAl.jpg
    3BL5hl.jpg
    f5M8cl.jpg
    Finished texturing the rest of the ship, including lights.

Some parts of the model, specifically the main hull and the underside of the head seem a bit lacking with their own self-illumination, so I'll probably add some more light textures to those ares.

Also planning on adding engine flares as soon as I learn how to use Blender's compositor.

0skh3l.jpg
    vsV04l.jpg
    4PTgvl.jpg
    oYq0fl.jpg
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Really nice work, good textures too. I have to admit to trying Blender once and just "didn't get it" either.
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Great work YIIMM:thumb:
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    This would fit in any SCI-FI program