Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2Dmy BSG design

larundellarundel171 Posts: 0Member
edited August 2010 in Work in Progress #1
well some of you might know me from SciFiersAnonymous, but since posting has stopped here and from the recommendation of ice dragon i have made the move over here, and though it might be a good idea to show you guys what i have been working on recently. So here are my battlestar designs. C & C welcome.

BattlecruiseBSGstylesidev1.jpg
version 1. I wanted to go away from the norm and remove the flights pods and instead only have one at the back between the engines.

BattlecruiseBSGstyletopv11.jpg
Version 2: after much consideration and with the surgestion from ice dragon i went back to the design and added flights pods.
81799.JPG
Post edited by larundel on

• FlankerFlanker0 Posts: 0Member
    I would love to see some bigger images so the details stand out some more. Also you should add a thumbnail in your first post so people can see what you are working on ;) I only see a red x now.
  • larundellarundel171 Posts: 0Member
    thanks...like i said i didnt post much on here since i joined, i guess what im asking is how do i do that?
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Looks good!
    I have started to work on the other views, but i forgot to save the images as PNGs, instead they are JPEGs and now all of my sections have pixulated and are not all one colour and i dont know how to correct this other than doing the images again.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Well i have been working hard on this design and have just this min finished the bottom view ( that is the first thumbnail)
    I have aslo put in the estimated number of vipers and raptors i think she would carry.

The 2nd thumb is an image i found whilst doing some research amd has given me an idea to design my own vipers.

C & C welcome

Also my ship does not have a name yet, and i cant think of one so anyone who can offer some surgestions that would be great.
    81899.jpg81900.png
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    That image of "Galactica" is artwork pertaining to the new Brian Singer/Glen Larson BSG movie.
    That image of "Galactica" is artwork pertaining to the new Brian Singer/Glen Larson BSG movie.

cool...cant wait for that...still going to make my own vipers i think.
    WIll be interesting to see what you can make while using the concept art as inspiration. I tend to look at inspiration as well when working on new designs. Also thanks for the larger images the details stand out much better that way.
    update time!!!

I have been working on a new fighter/bomber to go with my battlestar design and i have just realised that she looks like the sky talon from warhammer 40,000.

I wanted it to be single seater and carry guns and missies much like the cylon raiders do.

C and C welcome
    82328.png
    Well no one has posted so i guess i should show you the new battlestar that im working on at the moment aswell.

she is designed to be around the same size as the valkary, but as you can see she has some design elements from the Galactica...Comments and thoughts welcome
    82377.jpg
    interesting design on the fighter. It has indeed a Warhammer 40K feel to it. A vulture gunship feel perhaps even so a side view might make it stand out more since I am guessing your design wis sleek and aerodynamic like a regular viper.
  • BarricadeBarricade199 Posts: 181Member
    A few things.
    For the armored ribs on the alligator head area, it tends to look better if you have the ribs extend for a few pixels out past the hull, like how it's on the flight-pods. Also in the connecting area between the head and the center of the hull, there's two 'greeble' areas that its rather noticeable where you enlarged it and the lines are much thicker then anywhere else on the hull, its fairly easy to fix that. If you're having problems doing a curve, which it looks like might have been the case along the back edge of the alligator head, try using the curve tool in MSPaint, which is what it looks like you're doing. Its far easier, once you get the hang of it, to make curves with it, then doing them by hand.

Another good trick that is really easy to pull off but works wonders in the long run, is to make a shallow 'dip' down the centerline of the nose with a slightly darker shade. It's usually only a 5min touch-up job, but it adds a lot of detailing to the forward hull. I picked up that trick from CanisD over at Wolf's Shipyards.

Also, its nice to see my smaller turrets getting used (the ones on the flight-pods) more often again. Don't worry about credit, I added them to the 'anyone can use them pile' at Wolf's Shipyards, and know they've spread out from there to other sites.
    82577.png
    Well im sorry to say that i have been working on my designs but progress has been slow due to the fact that my appendix burst and i had to go into hospital for just over a week, feeling better now, but doc said i got to ake it easy as to not cause myself too much pain.

Please expect a large update on tuesday or wendesday.

Thanks for all the comments and advice guys.
    Well as i said expect a large update.

I have been talking to ice-dragon alot recently and he really liked the design of my larger battlestar so i decided to strip her back and improve her look by making her look more like a mercuray battlestar, i only have the top and bottom views done at the moment but should be working on the side view today. overall i very pleased with the way she has turned out, but i still feel a little more work is needed to make her better looking. I am also working on her back story that should add some colourful insight into my design. Also you will notice 3 large cannons on her top, she still has a number in her bow, but i wanted the ship to be able to keep moving and still be able to bring heavy fire power to bare on enemy ships, i would say these are slightly smaller than the bow cannons due to the fact they are in a moverable turret.

th_BattlecruiseBSGstyletopv2.png

My secound design was a direct request from ice-dragon to design a medical ship, i didnt want to make her too big, but i did want her to have some defencive guns, this again will be explained in the history when i write it, but you may notice some design elements that are the same, that was due to me wanting the ships to be built around the same time, so share simular technologies and such.

th_medicalshipside1.png

C & C welcome as always.
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Those are looking great larundel, I really like the medical ship, Keep up the great work
    Indeed good work, I really have to watch BSG (the new one) some more since I do like the designs which you captured quite well.
    The hospital ship also looks quite well designed about half the size of first image (larger battlestar) you posted?
    Thanks guys.

@ Ice-Dragon: Medical ship is coming along nicely, just finished the bottom view and am currently working on the back and front as i write this, so expect an update as soon as i finish it....still a bit of playing around with stuff i want to do.

@ Flanker: I think you should, its a great show, but my designs are no way cannon, just fan made, much like Ice's work (but his is alot better). The medical ship is ment to be just under half the size of the battlestar as i didnt want it to be too big, but big enough to warent guns and have lots of medical bay room.
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    The medical ship looks very good indeed!
    Here is a top, bottom and side shot of the battlestar i am currently working on.

th_CenturionClassBattlestarMK2.png

she is the MK2 version of my previous design
  • hazendhazend171 Posts: 0Member
    really cool.
    Thnaks.

I tired my best to match it all up, but it got hard with all the lines in the way, but im glad you like her
    I have been busy over the last week and abit with work, so not much time to work on my designs, but being the train alot has given me loads of time to sit down and do some scetches that i will be working on over the next week and bringing them to live and showing you guys the fruits of my labour.

But until then here is a size chart of the 3 ships i have already posted up. C and C welcome.

th_sizechart.png
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    Looks great. Aggressive styling
    Centurion Class Battlestar

th_BattlecruiseBSGstyletopv2.pngMK1

Length:2000m
    Width:700m
    Height:200m
    Crew: 2250

Weapons: 48 Primary Kinetic Energy Weapons (48 twin turrets, 2 fixed twin mounts) and point-defence, conventional missiles, nuclear warheads, Vipers, Raptors. 3 triple turrets (Experimental)

Airwing
    360 Viper Mark VII
    50 Raptors

The Centurion Class Battlestar was built some years before the smaller Mercury class Battlestar, as she does not feature the 8 sub-light engine configuration, but she does feature the that each flight pod consists of two stacked landing bays with adjoined decks and hangars.

The bases of the ship was designed around the galactic space frame, but it was decided that she needed to be more heavily armed and armoured, with the amount of guns she wound be carrying the size of the ship was increased, designers then feared that she would not have enough thrust, so a fifth engine was added to the design. In all simulations the ship performed better than expected, but she was still taking heavy damage, this was when three triple barrel guns were added to her top side, this resulted in a complete redesign of the CenturionA’s internal structure, which made it impossible to fit the remaining armament and airwing into the ship, this again resulted in a redesign and a single half length flight pod was added to the aft of the ship.

Although late and way over the estimated cost the Centurion was pressed into action with the approval of the admiralty. During the shakedown a problem was identified that the rear flight pod was suffering from the backwash of the engines, this made it almost impossible for vipers and raptors and land on the ship safely, the commanding officer at the time ordered that the flight pod not be used for recovering vipers, this was only the landing deck, all other facilities like the machine shops and storage areas were fine to be used. However when docked at stations the engines would be off allowing the 3rd pod to be used in the transfer of supplies. The experimental triple barrel guns were found to have serious problems with their loading mechanisms, meaning the guns would jam or not fire far enough to hit their intended target, but when working, the guns performed amazingly, causing huge amounts of damage in a single shot, it was there down time that made the guns impractical.

With all the problems reported in the shakedown the design team decided to create a MK2 version, this version removed the 3rd flight pod and removed the experimental guns, making her look like a more tradional Battlestar, however at the time two ships of the MK1 had been built and launched, these modifications were not implemented on these ships and would only affect the other eight ships of the class planned to be built.

th_CenturionClassBattlestarMK2.pngMK2