Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DS Max Eve Engine Trails

NymainNymain0 Posts: 0Member
I'm looking to create some fan films for Eve online and have managed to get the eve models extracted.

The snag I've hit is I cannot for the life of me make a decent engine trail for the model, Looking for something like this
gorus_shuttle_02.png

and preferably something that can be animated, but at the moment anything's good

I've tried KY_trails, and it didn't do much for me, looking for a better quality

Here is what I have so far
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZtzI-WVWCI

Anything to make it a better animation (I used a Mental Ray Material (Lume Glare) to do this) so a material help on that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Nymain
Post edited by Nymain on

• MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    I'd have to say that looks decent - what exactly is the problem with that?
  • NymainNymain0 Posts: 0Member
    I was kind of hoping for a softer shape (or material for the shape) to give a more 'plasmary' effect

Here is my WIP so far, would hope for something thats animatable (at the moment its just a plane lume material)

Shuttle_WIP_by_Nymain.png
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    You could try using atmospherics, for example several spherical gizmos set to hemisphere mode, scaled, arranged like the flame, and then apply a fire volume effect to them with no noise.

IF you make them bright enough the mental ray lume/glow should still apply to them, and if you can't get them bright enough while looking nice, you might need to render a second pass of just the engine exhaust, ramped up exposure (and turn on "replace final image with just glows" in the lume/glow shader, then composite the exhaust glow with the render.

Just wrote down anything that came to mind, hope some of that helps :)