Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

HDRI for space scene

MorpheusMorpheus0 Posts: 0Member
Hi there, I'm just wondering if there's a way to make a space scene using a HDRI space image.

I've been learning to use photoshop to make space based environment (star field, nebula, planets, etc) and I heard there's a way to modify it to became a HDRI. Anyone know about it?
Post edited by Morpheus on

• MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Generally speaking HDR images require multiple images with different exposure settings, if you've preserved the layers of your starfield for example you could create a second exposure by dimming the small stars a lot, and reduce the larger ones only slightly in brightness.

A nebula for example, you might darken the areas only lit by distant stars a lot, and leave the immediate vicinity of larger stars or novae or whatever bright.

All you need to do then really is open Photoshop; File->Automate->Merge to HDR and select your two exposures. The more different exposures, the better; but making more than 2 is a lot of effort and might only introduce inconsistencies among them.

And truth be told I have no idea if using a "HDR" image like that for lighting is going to make much of a difference from just using your regular image.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html

if you scroll down this page a little bit they have a milky way HDR, starfields are no good for image based lighting though
  • MorpheusMorpheus0 Posts: 0Member
    Thx for the reply guys, I think I'll try to made the HDR rendering. I want to make a "realistic" space based render, few years ago I found a good tutorial about it, its called real space or something, too bad the website is shut down now.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    do you mean better space? that website will be back up again at some point
  • MorpheusMorpheus0 Posts: 0Member
    Yup, thats it. I hope It went up soon. many good tutorial and tips there.