Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DEnd of an era

unusualsuspexunusualsuspex331 Norfolk UKPosts: 0Member
edited June 2010 in Finished Work #1
An image I put together last night after reading through acres of material about the last year of Space Shuttle operations.

It doesn't seem like two minutes since I was being thrilled about the news of the first shuttle being named 'Enterprise'.

Where next I wonder?
79566.jpg
Post edited by unusualsuspex on

• RonPadaRonPada0 Posts: 0Member
    It is a shame. Not even a glimpse of what is succeeding the shuttle. NASA still says its cheaper to send unmanned rockets up, but they are losing the versatility of manned space flights, and setting our manned exploration of the solar system back.
  • FalinFalin0 Posts: 0Member
    nice, but i'd move Chalenger and Columbia to the top two spots and maybe Highlight them somehow to signify their loss

sad that the president is killing our manned space program, it's unfortunate he has no Vison for space other than to look back at earth and study the climate.
  • gray_deathgray_death0 Posts: 0Member
    Falin wrote: »
    nice, but i'd move Chalenger and Columbia to the top two spots and maybe Highlight them somehow to signify their loss

sad that the president is killing our manned space program, it's unfortunate he has no Vison for space other than to look back at earth and study the climate.

:(Agreed. What is the point of going into space, if all you do is look at the ground?

I must ask, Unusualsuspex, would you mind too much if I put a copy of your pic on my yahoo group page? All credit to you, of course. I just think it's a better memorial for the era of the space shuttle, than I could come up with.
    BTW just a moment of family pride. My Grandfather worked at the Rocketdyne plant where the Saturn V rockets were produced for the Apollo missions. Seeing manned space exploration on the decline brings a profound sorrow to my heart. It almost seems like all the men and women who poured their hearts and souls into the Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, and Shuttle programs are being deliberately snubbed by the politicians. We have the technology to expand our horizons to an incredible extent, but due to the current political climate, it gets shelved. Nasa already has a workable design for an ion engine. The rockets are only necessary to achieve orbit, from there they could use the much cheaper to operate ion drive, or even an electromagnetic drive system. Does anyone have any ideas, as to the actual reason the polilticians have decided that, now we have seen the light, it's time to stick our collective heads in the sand?
    without tryng to get political, the current ASdministration is not interested in scientific advancement. they'd prefer we were back in the 1930's to 1940's era technology wise. look at whatt hey do, anythng that's high tech is being slaughtered, a lot of people with a high tech degree is out of work. we are going backwards instead of forwards.
    The only thing that was better in the 1930's and 40's was the american automobile. lol Any ideas as to why they want us to go back? I mean, do they think that it was some kind of "golden era?"

Also, Boeing appears to be developing the replacement for the shuttles. Take a look at the X-37 and X-40 and tell me that those aren't unmanned prototypes for a manned vehicle.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1192 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,633Member
    Nice pic.
    gray_death wrote: »
    Also, Boeing appears to be developing the replacement for the shuttles. Take a look at the X-37 and X-40 and tell me that those aren't unmanned prototypes for a manned vehicle.

Bush scrapped the X-40 project in favor of the constelation project, now we've canceled all manned flight indefinately
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    nice, I love it.
  • RonPada wrote: »
    It is a shame. Not even a glimpse of what is succeeding the shuttle. NASA still says its cheaper to send unmanned rockets up, but they are losing the versatility of manned space flights, and setting our manned exploration of the solar system back.

Manned spaceflight is a boondoggle. Nothing we need to do in space requires the risk and expense of manned spaceflight. Looked at objectively, the Shuttle was an expensive failure, with neither the reusability or versatility we were promised.

Of course, right now, we can't even afford non-commerical UNmanned space travel.
    BTW just a moment of family pride. My Grandfather worked at the Rocketdyne plant where the Saturn V rockets were produced for the Apollo missions. Seeing manned space exploration on the decline brings a profound sorrow to my heart. It almost seems like all the men and women who poured their hearts and souls into the Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, and Shuttle programs are being deliberately snubbed by the politicians. We have the technology to expand our horizons to an incredible extent, but due to the current political climate, it gets shelved. Nasa already has a workable design for an ion engine. The rockets are only necessary to achieve orbit, from there they could use the much cheaper to operate ion drive, or even an electromagnetic drive system. Does anyone have any ideas, as to the actual reason the polilticians have decided that, now we have seen the light, it's time to stick our collective heads in the sand?

Bankrupt nations have to make hard choices. Which children would you have go unfed, which elderly without Medicare for your "expanded horizons"?
  • unusualsuspexunusualsuspex331 Norfolk UKPosts: 0Member
    :(Agreed. What is the point of going into space, if all you do is look at the ground?

I must ask, Unusualsuspex, would you mind too much if I put a copy of your pic on my yahoo group page? All credit to you, of course. I just think it's a better memorial for the era of the space shuttle, than I could come up with.

Not a problem at all mate. Sorry for the delay in reply but I'm useless! :rolleyes:
  • gernot66gernot660 Posts: 0Member
    backwards, forwards, hm?

two major things kept us from going to the future
    money and eager
    that's all i have to say, think about, do something against!
  • publiusrpubliusr556 Posts: 1,755Member
    I think a series of images might be more powerful, to show how we are losing our national ability to reach space:

The first image is this
    http://members.optushome.com.au/spaceflight/images/comp%2034/pad%2034-6.jpg

Second Image:
    I figure in a white coat holds his face in his gloved hand. Out of his other hand, fall papers.
    The caption below reads "I wonder where Gunter went?" Above his head reads the word "PLACE"

Third image has a young girl (Kari Byron if I had my druthers) kneeling behind shattered models of Ares V and Saturn V. She is in the same stance as Mary Ann Vecchio: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kent_State_massacre.jpg
    Above her are the words "IN PLACE"

Fourth image:
    There are no people in this shot--and the full signage is at last visible http://members.optushome.com.au/spaceflight/images/comp%2034/pad%2034-9.jpg

In the next photo we just see part of the word ABAN fill the frame.

In the last picture, we see a close-up of bare concrete.

The opening picture--with the circular section, is the O in Obama.

To advertise the multi-series art pieces, you have a close up of the last word "..ACE" And a faded photo of the first Moon landing, taped to the concrete with simple, yellow tape.

The exhibit is simply to be called...FALL.

http://members.optushome.com.au/spaceflight/ccafs.htm
    http://members.optushome.com.au/spaceflight/images/comp%2034/pad%2034-2.jpg

The rest is silence.
  • gernot66gernot660 Posts: 0Member
    i'm not shure what you wont to show us by that, a conspiracy? i don't like , to see everywhere, there are 1000 times less rather than people expect.
    only one, the conspiracy of $.
    to me, talking not only about u.s. residents, it's that people especially, the educated elite has lost the goal, and everything is done just for a personal fame, eager and of course $$$.
    we don't pull on the same rope no longer, as back in the 50's & 60's, masterminds have been discredited, because they was not comformable to this.
    or they might not had the right contacts or reputation to be heard.
    if we really are willing to step into the future and there is a good one up ahead, we have to believe in that and start to work together, instead for personal fame.

i'm a swiss resident, no big country. but engineers like sulzer or scherrer have been replaced with people interested only in money, and not the thing itself, they don't care what kind of job they will do, as long as they earn enough.

so datas will be hidden, turned around, misused just for a personal goal. knowledge, like all things, is useless if we don't share!

all this is only good for scorpions and snakes, if you know what i mean, and we forgot that we should fight them back, instead to glorify them.

example, yes i wanted to wrote this allready yesterday and i should had:
    5 years ago we had a accident in one of our nuclear PP's, no big thing, only a burned generator.
    but a huge and unique one, only FIVE has been build worldwide in this size, each a new concept, they have an output of >1 Giga Watt, designed by brown boveri.
    what i want to say is, they had call for almost 80 years aged engineers, those who build them. just to understand what was going on. i don't want explain what exactly, this would take me to long and my english might be not good enough.

having a nice title and eating donuts in front of your computer didn't get us far!

i quite don't remember who statet "we will never get a saturn up to moon no more" just because of that, imo.

further, we should stop immidiatly making politicians responsible for it! basta!
    think about the big companys, they control everything and have allready more power then any community on this planet.
    and i fear companys like Nestle, they buy sweetwater wells all over the world, just because some have seen that you can control the whole human race with that in a near future, stop them right now! or we are doomed!
    they are willing to cheat and lie whenever they can.
    i don't want to see humanity in a mad max scenario, do you?

you know orwells 1984, only one thing is wrong in his scenario, it won't be political systems that will control our minds, it's the power of money and the companies keeping it for themselfes.

a statement from the chief mastermind, long time ago:
    "go lift every stone, turn every bush around, to find and slay all scorpions and snakes".
    i'm shure he didn't ment animals by that.
    but as long as we dance around the golden calf, nothing will change ever.
  • publiusrpubliusr556 Posts: 1,755Member
    No conspiracy--just a general watering down--or lack of interest in space. With the oil industry personal non grata, and fishing perhaps finished in the gulf, I think that space based solar power, launched by HLLVs would keep jobs in michould along the coast. Perhaps art of SPS systems could recapture interest.