Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy blue Box

2»

• homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,892Member
    it looks great, but i would make it more of an even bright-blue, with less contrast on the actual paint job. Its definitely getting there
  • cazman101cazman1010 Posts: 0Member
    Right i think its getting somewhere. I should point out that one of the reasons this is giving me a bit of frustration is that this Box is a completely new one to those in the previous images as the one in the garden blatantly refused to open and kept crashing my PC all the time so I basically had to start from scratch but not remembering the texture settings I've had to try and go from a basic grey to where its at. Hopefully its not far.

smithbox3.jpg
    it looks great! brighten up the blue a tad, soften the grain by about 10% - it should be visible, not "in your face" visible, lol. Really great progress here!
    I've taken it back again and retextured it from top to bottom to try and give it the Satin wood finish.I've gone over the real prop colour and come up with an RGB value about r13, g18, b50 so its quite a deep blue but because of the gloss effect its shading changes depending on light intensity because its not a solid colour and has quite a reflective varnish on it.( the Dp and lighting crew must ripped their hair out trying to make it consistent. as soon as I've sorted one or two issues I'm having I'll post a new pic.
    OK here's the box out of direct light. I'm trying to match the way the material on the prop works as best as possible

newpaintbox.jpg

and here it is with some direct light thrown on to the top(directly on top...not trying anything fancy until its right) showing the vibrant blue that is seen in other pics when out in direct daylight.

smithvibeblue.jpg
    Thats really great! Try increasing the brightness of the paint, and lower the glossyness by 15%. Lower the wood texture a drop, try and use a wood=grain texture instead, if you can (wood grain being the swirls and whatnot) [CG Textures] - The worlds largest free texture site is one of the best texture sources out there.

Oh, and the light on top is wrong, Light ref 1 Light ref 2
    and FYI, the font used for the sign is Gill Sans Regular.
    Great work!

Set up the TARDIS on a "digital set" with background and lighting. Nothing terribly major, just something to show it off (the street outside the local supermarket would work fine, for example)

EDIT: Fixed the links
    Yea i got a list of stuff with 19 different corrections on it the light being one of them along with the handles and various other bits here and there. BTW the link you posted on the light ref appears to be broken.

I've built a backstreet model for use when the time comes.

the pic ref I'm using the most is pic ref 6 from the previous page so at the moment the textures on it are basic until I can remake the textures.

PS thanks for the texture Link
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    It's really coming along nicely.

Minor pedantic note, the windows in Eleven's TARDIS seem to be two-tone, with the lower corner panes lighter than the others.

http://www.themindrobber.co.uk/matt-smith-karen-gillan-amy-pond/matt-smith-tardis-karen-gillan-amy-pond.jpg - a picture where it's really obvious.

(Ooh, CG Textures really is very nice, swiping that link too!)
    Yea the material for my windows is the same Two tone but but its faded out by other factors such as the reflectiveness and the self illuminating box I put behind the glass is really causing it to be obscured. I'm re-creating the Textures at the moment so at the moment I'm just trying to get the base right trying to make the glass look like glass and the wood like varnished wood. The 2 pics above have the old texture on for diffuse,spec and gloss but I'm replacing those with new ones based on the detail seen in one of the reference pics.

here I've put it in some direct daylight and switched off the backlight on the windows I've also sorted the lamp and sorted out the sheen its not so wet looking.

smithbox4.jpg
    I haven't put an Update on this in a while mainly because during a process of changing to a new machine things have gone the shape of the pare so as soon as things are straight I'll put up some new renders. I considering doing a little video as well, we'll see how quick the new machine can render when under pressure then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Fingers crossed for good results!