Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Cloud/nebula making tools

[Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
Dear Forum,

I need some advice on the proper tool to learn.

I would like to make some cloud/nebula-type renders, and I do not want to use billboards.

What I am hoping for is a tool that will allow relatively easy shaping of the general structure of the cloud form and that will produce a form with true depth to all aspects of the visible shape (as opposed to what would be achieved with billboards where I could have depth between billboards, but no depth to the details within a billboard).

For example, if I were to extract the depth bufer from the scene I would functionally have a distance map of the edges of the visible nebulae/cloud surface from the camera.

Ultimately these renders will be skyboxes in a video game, and the ships need to be able to interact wth the cloud forms similar to what I achieved here using a render and an extracted depth buffer.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DrJBN#p/u/12/Q6-rtWBggJ8

I have played a bit with some success with hypervoxels in a trial version of Lightwave some time ago as in the video above, and am ready to takeup the project again. But as this endeavour is going to be a significant committment of time and money, I would like to know if there are other, and perhaps better, options available for what I hope to achieve.

Best,
Byron
Post edited by Unknown User on

• L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    afterburn would be perfect.
    but i dont think theres a version for ligthwave.
    works great with max
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    L2K wrote: »
    afterburn would be perfect.
    but i dont think theres a version for ligthwave.
    works great with max

Thanks, I'll look into it. (great showreel btw)