Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy blue Box

cazman101cazman1010 Posts: 0Member
edited August 2010 in Finished Work #1
thought I'd post this up. a couple of renders of my Tardis model. This was actually one of the first models I built and i've rebuilt it about 7 times now I finally was happy with how it was starting to look when Bang Matt Smith came along and they changed the way it looks so I had to build another. anyway here's some of the pics i made.
77643.jpg
77645.jpg
77646.jpg
77647.jpg
78525.jpg
Post edited by cazman101 on

• homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,892Member
    nice. shouldnt it be a brighter blue?
  • cazman101cazman1010 Posts: 0Member
    the colour is not a bright blue it looks alittle dark here due to the lighting conditions that I set up but the colour of the box is quite dark. When its seen on the show looking bright they usually have a spot light on it to brighten it up. the second picture on the planet is its natural daylight colour and you can see its fairly bright. the Matt Smith box I've built is only dark on the street scene due to lighting but that actually is a brighter blue.
    77665.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Tardis!!!! Very nice, I like each set of images, although this latest one is a bit better now that its more of a proper blue.
    It's a good match for shape, colour and texture. My only quibbles as regards accuracy are the size of the light on the roof, and that "POLICE BOX" is in capitals on the prop. ;)
  • DNA-1842DNA-18420 Posts: 0Member
    That's nice! :D
    It's a good match for shape, colour and texture. My only quibbles as regards accuracy are the size of the light on the roof, and that "POLICE BOX" is in capitals on the prop. ;)

the Light is as accurate as i can get it I've sourced different places for it and on the smith Box its a different light and different shaped glass as for the sign Like a complete plumb I hadn't noticed I'd done it in lower case and i can't believe I overlooked that so thanks for that Craig, I'll post another update with the corrections.
    Here's the update Hopefully I haven't botched anything else that I'm not aware of :D I've also redone the lock so its a little more accurate.
    78512.jpg78513.jpg
  • IRMLIRML256 Posts: 1,993Member
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77644&d=1265158306

what you've done there is taken a building from dubai and stuck it in the background
    Pass.... I sourced multiple pics to produce rotoscoping pieces and cloning bits for the backround there's bits of Arizona, a beech, a mountain range and some open country there's bits from everywhere in there. what i was actually going for with that shot was a modern take on the "death Zone" on Gallifrey with something that looked like a modern slightly alien version of the "tower of Rasillon".
    cazman101 wrote: »
    Pass.... I sourced multiple pics to produce rotoscoping pieces and cloning bits for the backround there's bits of Arizona, a beech, a mountain range and some open country there's bits from everywhere in there. what i was actually going for with that shot was a modern take on the "death Zone" on Gallifrey with something that looked like a modern slightly alien version of the "tower of Rasillon".
    awesome!!1one, but at the end of the day it's just an image with that building from dubai pasted in the background, you need to be more creative than that
    well the image was just try the Box on landscape, I wasn't actually thinking of posting it. I just thought why not.
    Nicely done. :)

(And I know about "not seeing the wood for the trees". I once obsessed over spelling someone's last name correctly in an article and got her first name wrong, five times more often...)
    ...not seeing the wood for the trees...
    except I'm not misunderstanding his image at all

when you make an image, and then you do a blatant cut and paste of one of the world's most recognisable buildings, you ruin it - simple as that

you people need to understand these things
    IRML I know what your saying about the backdrop Again I never made it to be posted I just figured it didn't matter that much, also I think Craig is referring to the sign correction I made.

Here I've built a new tower and replaced the irritation.
    78525.jpg
  • deg3Ddeg3D0 Posts: 0Member
    Classic. Nice job. dude, esp. like that last shot, eh. :)

deg
    "All i ask is a tall police-box, and a semi-sentient computer [tied into the time vortex] to steer by....." doesnt really have the same ring to it, lol
    Here's one I just done based on a scene from the new episode with the Matt Smith Box.

DR:- What have you got for me this time?
    80349.jpg
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    Kinda weird how much the blue box has changed over the years but looked the same

Tardis Mrk II from the 1980s

TARDIS2.jpg

and from 2005 - 2010
    TARDIS1.jpg

Its def gotten darker over the years, did they build a brand new shooting model?
    Here is a link to Brand new 2010 TARDIS

EDIT - I found a great site which has the history of all the shooting prop TARDIS used in Doctor Who, dont know if it will be much help. but a good read though

Doctor Who - A History of The Tardis
    the original series built 2 new tardis's over the course of the run (i think); both times to replace aging props that could no longer be used for filming, but otherwise, they occasionally modified the tardis prop to reflect the change in doctor.
    The 2005 series built 4 tardis props; i dont know if one was a hero, scale model, etc. but the "primary" tardis was completely new, i think built from fiberglass, and i think it was replaced once. The matt-smith tardis is a completely new prop
    I don't know how many have noticed but one of the changes made to the prop is the sign on the door is now a back-lit sign and the lettering appear to be in 3d resin.
    I was just wondering if you'd give it a lick of paint to match the slightly new look. Nicely done.
    thought i'd add this New Dalek I Started working on it today so its still incomplete

NewDalekwhite.jpg
    All that in one day? Good grief. That's going really well.
    I've also made some adjustments to my "Smith Box Tardis" sorting out the sign building new handles recolouring it. its difficult to get the Blue spot on because the amount of light thats on the prop changes from episode to episode so I've gone with an outside 6pm kind of light.

smithbox.jpg
    the dimensions are different too. I think its as tall as a real metro box this time. this is the best ref: new%20tardis%20look%20s5.jpg
    not a TARDIS
    TARDIS ref 1
    TARDIS ref 2
    TARDIS ref 3
    TARDIS ref 4 (might be an old TARDIS)
    TARDIS ref 5
    TARDIS ref 6
    TARDIS ref 7
    2005 TARDIS

The TARDIS "hero" prop is made of fiberglass and has several coats of paint, starting with a darkish primer, and a few brighter coats to give it some texture. the model itself should have a slightly visible wood-grain (could be done with a texture/displacement map)
    I think if you click on the image above you'll see mine does have woodgrain in it. but thanks for the ref pics.
    no prob. i got a couple more refs now, lol. And yes, your box does have the woodgrain, but its more visible in the 2010 prop than in the 2005 one.
    http://www.spacewarp.co.uk/NST_Mk3_Dave_2010.pdf - basic plan for the new TARDIS, not perfect, but id estimate the roof is roughly 8 or 9 feet high.
    and here are some more refs http://tardisbuildersforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=303
    I've done a render with the full blue and textures made more prominent.

smithbox2.jpg

this might be a help for you to work out the size of the new box

I built the model in feet and inches and make it 9'6" tall and 4'8" long and wide. with the base being 5' square and 6 inches tall and the height of the doors of the new box are 6'10" tall

of course this is assuming that the dimensions of this prop are the same as the Tennant Box
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    The new TARDIS does look alot taller than the previous RTD version
    I don't think it is, don't forget that Matt smith is about 3 inches shorter than DT so that's going to make it look bigger and if it is bigger it'll probably only be in the height above the Police Box sign and would only be about an inch at most. I suppose we'll keep guessing until there's some sort of blue print release