Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

"Pinched" Polygon help

[Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
There is an arrow pointing to what I am talking about, it looks REALLY ugly from certain angles.

I'm using Max 2010, it's an editable polygon with 2x turbosmooth applied.

pinch1.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

• MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Offhand I'd check for double vertices, do a selective weld with a very low treshhold and see if that changes anything. Also, look at the smoothing group settings, if the one of that face and the shuttle bay cutout are the same there might be some stuff going on.
    If you could post a wireframe shot of that part, we might be able to help you more :)
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    definely looks like very close vertices.
    i'd collapse some vertices to clean that out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    The first thing I checked for was a double vertice, I played around with the mesh a little bit and got it to look a little better but there is still a noticeable pinch there, I'm going to try chamfering the edge a little and see if that helps.
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    show us the wireframe ;)
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9920 Posts: 5,337Member
    I be willing to bet since it is subd that there is something off in the base mesh. Shuttle butts are a PITA when it comes to doing it in subd since cylindrical objects LOVE to distort when anything not following its curve deviates or alters the curvature. Welding verts and what not wont help, one needs to look at the ploy flow in that area which means we need to see the base mesh.
    Looking at the sample mesh it looks like the shuttle platform is a separate smoothing group as well this can cause that sort of error too.

I hate to say it but you might want to look at doing a n-gon, a 5 sided poly with the 5th side as a tight loop near the crease of the floor. Really close. Google edge loops for more info. Or leave the fantail (the platform) until after you collapse the mesh then spin it off the hull. Easiest way to do this is go into poly mode and choose hinge from edge.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Here is the (slightly updated) base mesh of the part in question, the platform was extruded from the original cylinder. The side of the hull and the side of the platform are all part of the same smoothing group.

wireframe.jpg
  • CoolhandCoolhand289 Mountain LairPosts: 1,298Member
    i'm surprised you're not having more problems than that tbh.

try something like this. and try to keep the spacing of your control mesh as even as possible, so you might want to put some extra longitudinal lines in at the top.
    77022.jpg
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9920 Posts: 5,337Member
    Ah thanks coolhand, lost internet after posting and couldn't upload a sample!
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Coolhand wrote: »
    i'm surprised you're not having more problems than that tbh.

try something like this. and try to keep the spacing of your control mesh as even as possible, so you might want to put some extra longitudinal lines in at the top.

Thank you! I will try this tonight!