Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

General Model Building

ScRaT_GERScRaT_GER0 Posts: 0Member
Hi,

I have some questions about generally building a model.
I'm using Blender and I'm slowly getting comfortable with all the shortcuts and tools. As a first project I started to model a Terran Wraith as seen in Starcraft.
I got myself some reference pictures (e.g. this and this) and started modelling. This is what I got by now.
Until now I extruded everything, besides the "cockpit", from a single cylinder. However this made some things quite hard (e.g. getting a circular shape for the two "poles" at the back).

So I was asking myself, and now you, these questions:

1. How do you decide when to add a new new object or when to extrude?

2. Using blender, I cannot create real N-Gons, only quads and triangles. However, some regions of the model could actually be simple planes (the wings for example). Should I "edge-loop" through them anyways or should I reduce polygons by creating lots of triangles?

Since I'm already asking questions, I also have a third question: Any tips how I could proceed? Because at the moment I'm not really happy with the cockpit-area (the faces are a bit messed up), but I don't know how to change it.

Thanks for any answers.

Greetings,
ScRaT
Post edited by ScRaT_GER on

• MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    1. That really depends. If you want a smooth transition from one to the other, in most cases its easier to extrude and keep it one object. If you dont, no need to go through that trouble.

2. If its completely flat, the topology of the mesh doesnt really matter.As soon as you start to add curvature, edge loops and poly flow become very important for smoothing.

That cockpit looks like it could use the application of subdivision modeling, I don't know where to look for blender tutorials but I'm sure there are some. :)