Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Moddeling techniques

[Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
Iv come to a point where i need to learn more to do more and im not fantastic as it is but here is what im looking for

i can box moddel and create objecting using the line tools but id like to learn how to moddel with planes, i dont get how to knit nor how to start it just seems over whelming when i draw 1 plane and try to envision my final product

so is there any good beginner guides to get me on the right path i can find thousands of guides but im only after 1 or 2 good ones to learn with
Post edited by Unknown User on

• D.M.J.D.M.J.0 Posts: 0Member
    Could you be a little more specific, so we can be specific in our answers?

What app?

What do you mean by "modelling with planes"?

Do you have a screenshot of an example?

If you've found thousands of guides, perhaps you could link us to one as an example of what you're trying to do?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    i found out what its called and thanks to finding this out iv filtered out a lot of strange techniques

its called poly modeling

il have a crack at this one tut iv found if i struggle il post back here, but if you can suggest some good tuts that maybe you have used and has helped that would be good
  • D.M.J.D.M.J.0 Posts: 0Member
    Okay, we're getting somewhere now. Poly modelling is something that most of us have tackled at some point. But each application does things its own unique way. If you tell us which application you're using, we can point you to a tutorial that tells you how to do it for your application, or even give you some pointers ourselves.

Please remember that we're not mind readers, we don't automatically know what you mean without being told. It is better to provide too much information rather than too little. I'm trying to help but you're not making it easy :lol:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    i use 3d max but have downloaded a trial version of zbrush recently got about 21 days left on it

and yeh sorry without knowing what it was called myself i couldnt really detail it much, and should have mentioned the ap i use though
  • japetusjapetus2981 SeattlePosts: 1,403Member
    ZBrush is not a poly modeling program, it is a 3D sculpting program. I'd start your learning in max. I remember this Joan of Arc tutorial taught me tons of great things. It's not an airplane but has a lot of really great principles.
    3d Tutorial
  • PanzerPanzer0 Posts: 0Member
    Well I have a question while the thread is still open. I use Cinema 4D and I am trying to increase the amount of detail on my models.
    Currently Whenever I make my models I use extrude and bevel only, but I get very boxy models a perfect example is the models I created for my flash site at school. They look ok, but I want to be able to make smoother models while still maintaining the same amount of detail.

I want to learn how to make organic things as well, but I would appreiciate if anyone had any tips for expanding my modeling techniques

my models can be found at my site here:
    http://apg7080.cias.rit.edu/adn
  • japetusjapetus2981 SeattlePosts: 1,403Member
    Panzer wrote: »
    Well I have a question while the thread is still open. I use Cinema 4D and I am trying to increase the amount of detail on my models.
    Currently Whenever I make my models I use extrude and bevel only, but I get very boxy models a perfect example is the models I created for my flash site at school. They look ok, but I want to be able to make smoother models while still maintaining the same amount of detail.

I want to learn how to make organic things as well, but I would appreiciate if anyone had any tips for expanding my modeling techniques

my models can be found at my site here:
    master

You should check out the concept of subdivision modeling. It utilizes box modeling technique, but then you smooth the geometry while adding rows of edges closer to other edges to get hard corners, add more space to get softer corners or curves.

YouTube - Subdivision Surface Modeling
  • PanzerPanzer0 Posts: 0Member
    wow that is intense, I am not good with modeling organic stuff like that, but in the case of more mechanical stuff I already do a ton of subdivision, but it does not have that incredible amount of detail.

A good example of how my stuff is not cutting it is my war wheel lots of extruding, and using the vertices, but the quality is just not there.

Also here is a example of my work. This jet engine is made up using cloner objects and extruding simple tubes. Its okay, but I feel like I am missing something when it comes to the amount of detail I could do.
    74906.jpg
  • brain_damagebrain_damage0 Posts: 0Member
    I think that what you are missing in the engine are some smoother edges. You can do that by applying a chamfer or by subdivision modeling, which is more complex and with add geometry to your mesh.

Check out this tutorial, it might help you:

Onno van Braam - Tutorials A? Polygon Modeling 5: Techniques I