Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DConstructing a ConnieA2

2»

• wjasperswjaspers332 Posts: 0Member
    anystar wrote: »
    have any of you had any experience with this?

I import from AutoCad to 3dsmax on a regular base, so you can say I have some experience with this.

When you import from DWG you will need to tell max how it needs to convert the AutoCad solids in to 3dsmax meshes. This is done in the import geometrie panel, by adjusting the "curve steps" (how smooth to convert curves) and "surface deviation" (how many polies it will create per mm or inch).
    Don't check the autosmooth box, it is easier to do this with smooth modifier.

But as usual, you can find this in the help file.:)
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    thanks for the great tips, but i'm coming to the conclusion that it is all just product of error on my part way back when i began the project files.

while i had the display settings in autocad turned up the actual geometry creation for 3d objects was set down at defaults :( basically i was being fooled by auto-smoothing from the display settings, when my actual objects were much too simple.

also since all my objects are for the most part multiply lofted and boolean creations i have found no way yet to refine them. :(:(:(

i have begun a new version of the E (calling this one 6.0). i'm re-creating the nacelle first, using autocad. so i can see if my new program parameters will translate any better :cool: barring any other distractions i should have the CAD version done by tomorrow night, then we can see how it works out. otherwise i'll have to just start working it fully in Max
    I've made an executive decision to just continue this one in autocad for the time being. i'll continue to work on a Max version now and then. but untill i develop my Max skills more it just isnt meant to be!

i'll be "book-ending" a few other projects in the next couple days, so maybe by this weekend i'll have some more to show once i get back into it!
    a little news on this project!

no new work as yet, but my friend was in fact able to help me get this fully loaded into Max :cool: the filesize is already huge however, just under 105m :(

this is "as is" imported with no changes, and default lighting :D
    C2-029.png
  • StarshipStarship478 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,994Member
    Good news about the import, and bad about the size. :)
    In max, try to play with the optmize modifier (new versions has a more efetive modifier, but I donA’t remember the name), it can help you to decrease the size and optimize pollys. ;)
    incedental update!

i've also been working on a drydock, just put them together this afternoon :D
    504-1.png
    ThatA’s good. Welcome back. :D
    thanks Jose!

btw optimizing the mesh made for easier manipulation and does free up a few hundred megs of ram whem working with it. but didnt help the filesize any.

in the end however it's not a big deal to re-create from scratch in Max to avoid the whole mess whatsoever. i've modeled 4 different versions in Cad (this being the fifth) so i can almost do it from memory alone! haha

I'm down to working on only 2 different projects right now, my X-Wing and the Dry-Dock. and as soon as the Dock is complete the E will take its place on my to-do list!
    got to a stopping point on my other projects, so i jumped back into this beast today!

i decided what the hell, and just started from scratch.
    052.png
    YouA’re a perfeccionist? :)
    more like addicted to perfecting the minute details that nobody else will ever notice :lol:
    she now has a name!

054.png
    Saucer's almost complete!

063.png
    061.png
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771405 PNWPosts: 763Member
    The origin of the registry number is easy to figure out. ;)
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • USS MarinerUSS Mariner0 Posts: 0Member
    i decided what the hell, and just started from scratch.
    052.png

Great technique.
    Lizzy777 wrote: »
    The origin of the registry number is easy to figure out. ;)

aww, is it that transparent? :flippy::cool:

heehee, anyway. good progress the last few days:
    104a_1.png
    105a_1.png
    106a_1.png
    107a_1.png
    108a_1.png
    109a_1.png
    110a_1.png

had a little help learning some new methods, and i have both simplified and refined it at the same time :devil:

i'm even considering leaving part of the wireframes on inside the deflector grid, instead of aztecing... we'll see
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771405 PNWPosts: 763Member
    aww, is it that transparent? :flippy::cool:

heehee, anyway. good progress the last few days:

had a little help learning some new methods, and i have both simplified and refined it at the same time :devil:

i'm even considering leaving part of the wireframes on inside the deflector grid, instead of aztecing... we'll see

I did the same thing for the registry number on my model. *sheepish grin*

Your progress looks good so far. As for the aztec pattern, I think that's more of a specularity thing than just surface detail. The way the light catches different materials used in building the ship? It gives a model a higher level of complexity. Also: Eyecandy.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    fished off the neck assembly!
    204_1.png
    205_1.png
    206_1.png
    207_1.png
    208_1.png
    209_1.png
    Excellent!
  • publiusrpubliusr560 Posts: 1,759Member
    You could just about use that saucer as it is for a Detroyat design.
    there were some issues with my neck, its out the window and here's a whole new version
    capture_01282010_152107.png
    capture_01282010_152110.png
    capture_01282010_152126.png
    capture_01282010_152202.png
    capture_01282010_152210.png
  • centuriancenturian331 Posts: 0Member
    man i cant wait for more. keep up the great work!!!
  • ST-OneST-One188 Posts: 293Member
    Nice work.
    It's probably a bit late for this suggestions but...

You should try to avoid using the existing geometry when adding those circular shield-grid-lines.
    The way you cut them into the hull now you loose the smoothness of the curved hull. You can see
    it best on the saucer's underside - it looks rather segmented even though there is actually a fair
    amount of polys.
  • dauguardauguar0 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    cool, glad to see I'm not the only one crazy enough to try this
    I'm modeling the enterprise in CATIA, just as a bit of a hobby, but its becoming an obsession now :)

this is what I have done so far

6ce17.jpg
  • publiusrpubliusr560 Posts: 1,759Member
    I think you have captured the look of the old Southbend Mego enterprise
    http://www.megomuseum.com/startrek/sttmp.html
    its been about 7 months since I've even opened this project file, but I have finally decided what direction to go with the mesh. Instead of a completely anal screen accurate inside & out cutaway, I am just going to recreate this poster:
    Constitution-II_002_2.jpg

I also neglected to post updates over here the last time i was working on it earlier this year, so here's a couple new renders of where the mesh is at currently.
    (warning, large pics)
    th_601_014c3.jpgth_601_014c2.jpgth_601_014c1.jpg
    and finally a quick "over the shoulder" screengrab of the saucer wireframe:
    capture_09132011_144102.jpg

more to come soon!