Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Meshes into Models!

SamwellSamwell0 Posts: 0Member
Hi All

As I'm new to the community i was hoping you could point me in the right direction!I'm a avid Sci-fi 3d designer and have a whole catalog of my own concepts,I'm trying to find some someone who could turn my meshes into models!:cool:
Post edited by Samwell on

• SphynxSphynx195 Posts: 461Member
    Just to clarify for people: You describe concepts, but then ask about meshes into models.

Are you asking about turning on-paper concepts into digital models (meshes), or turning existing digital models (meshes) into physical models?

For the former - a lot of people on site can do this for you, but you'll need to negotiate directly.

If the latter - this is not as easy as it sounds as the most common methods are the various rapid-prototyping methods around. Builing an RP quality mesh takes a completely different philosophy to that normally used in creating meshes and there is a much smaller set of the community here capable of doing them - some of them (including myself) doing this commercially.

It would help to garner interest however, if you posted some samples. In a community like this, help often comes from interest in a concept and not just a blind request.
  • SamwellSamwell0 Posts: 0Member
    Hi All

As I'm new to the community i was hoping you could point me in the right direction!I'm a avid Sci-fi 3d designer and have a whole catalog of my own concepts,I'm trying to find some someone who could turn my meshes into Physical models!
  • SamwellSamwell0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for that Sphynx!!

I'm looking to turn my designs into Physical models through Rp!what is the best way to 1.get in contact with someone!
    2.work out if it is a good price?
    3.know if the quality is good or Bad!?
    One of your problems is going to be cost - this is not usually something that you would do just to create a physical model of something that you've designed as the costs can be quite limiting. Usually RP is done from the angle of making a master, then creating replicas for sale (not that personal one-offs are not done, but usually you need to get a good price for this).

In the first instance however, you need to ensure that the mesh is suitable for reproduction. Nearly all (read 'all', for safety) processes need to the mesh to be water-tight (all a single piece, ever node joined together - imagine pouring water into it and seeing if it leaks) and be within certain detail limits of the selected process. It then normally needs to be exported as an STL (a file-format typically used in RP).

Sometimes, the mesh needs to be totally re-built rather than the one you have, and this can add to the cost.

What is the nature of your models, what format are they currently in, and what type of size are you looking at producing?
    Oh, on price many people charge by length but it is sometimes hard to see what a good deal is - there are good artists and there are bad artists - but it also depends on how much work is required.

On the physical production, do a Google on rapid prototyping will get you quite a few agencies that will do the physical work.
    Yo may want to take a look at this thread (and others) in regards to appearance. One of the limitations based upon process is size of detail. On a 50mm long mesh for example, a 0.25mm minimum detail size can be limiting - this is the reason why the meshes in this thread look 'chunky'.